NEWS
   Current / Submit
   Archive

   HELP
   Walkthrough
   Cheats
   Editing

   COMMUNITY
   Forums
   Fan Fiction
   Fan Art
   Links

   FILES
   Game Demo
   Patch
   Editing Tools
   Community maps
   Movies
   Music
   Submit

   UNDYING
   Game Info
   Features
   Requirements
   Screenshots
   Characters
   Enemies
   NPCs
   Weapons
   Spells
   Inventory
   Macintosh
   Playstation2
   FAQ

   JERICHO
   Game Info


   SITE
   Site Info
   Contact Email




Speaking of the Stones: Kiss of Oblivion, Chapter 2

The following is based on the game Clive Barker's Undying, ©. 2001 Electronic Arts Inc.

[O] Chapter 2: The Fall of Alakia
“What have I done to deserve this, that the last of my descendents should perish under the knives of false spirits, and his soul be swallowed up by the incorrigible destinies of man?”.

--Sais, the former Prophet of Baal.
    Several days had passed since Kamen received his damning vision. He had deliberated much over its meaning but still couldn’t figure out what it meant. But he knew something was about to happen, something horrible. His army had just annihilated the settlers inhabiting the Isle of Standing Stones and the areas surrounding it. They were yet another Trsanti tribe impervious to his will; however they claimed they were protecting others from the “evils of mankind”, referring of course to the mysterious stone structures built on the summit of the island.

     The Alakia tribe or “the guardians” were presided over by a sect of female clairvoyants that claimed the deity’s will could be spoken through them. The society as a whole regarded women as sacred for their intuitions and “evolved” intelligence. Their intuitions resemble more like greedy impulses that can never be satiated, Kamen thought to himself glumly. And their women’s so-called superior intellect stems from the generations of browbeating they imposed on their men against the primitive ways of their culture until the entire tribe believed it so. Father was right to make war against them, he reasoned to himself.

     On this day, however, his perceptions of the fairer sex would change. As his brother Telsin strode confidently into the large, airy room where Kamen sat upon his throne of pure gold it almost seemed to him that the panorama set before his eyes was an aged oil painting meant to portray some eminent truth-seeker in all his glory, with his chin resting in his palms and his eyes glazed over towards the heavens. Telsin approached the pure white marble dias and bowed, his pure green eyes meeting Kamen’s in a familiarly sly manner that he took as his brother’s precursor to mischief. Kamen suddenly came to himself, his eyes coming briefly alive before settling once again into their somber gaze. He removed his hand from his mouth revealing dry, cracked lips set in a thin line. “What do you want?”, his voice came out hoarse and low from lack of use.

     Telsin’s stare became frank, then he laughed revealing a smile that earned the contempt of many a Trsanti nobleman that feared for their daughter’s continued innocence. “Oh Kamen, how you underestimate me, as if my sole purpose in life is to cause you trouble!”, he said playfully. “As it happens, I have some good news”. The smile remained on his face. Kamen studied his brother; who had removed the hood of his cloak revealing features as chiseled as stone, angular cheekbones that slanted down towards a small, but prominent chin; and pure green eyes that reminded him so vividly of the jungles of his homeland. Full, skin colored lips were creased in a mischievous grin, and his entire face was framed in a thick main of golden blonde hair; while all his features were a striking contrast to his light brown skin.

     Telsin’s features suddenly became solemn, then he said “the captains inform me that they have captured the head of the tribe, obviously a strong-willed women. I daresay she is stunning to say the least. She has blue eyes, you know”, his voice trailed off and he bent his head and put a finger to his lips. An unselfconscious gesture that Kamen took as an outward, but subtle, display of amusement or bafflement.

     Kamen was familiar of the superstition of his people, especially the myth of those that have blue eyes can see into the hearts of men and are arbitrators of their fate. He did not believe in such foolishness, even though he himself was a prophet. “Surely you did not--” Kamen started, but Telsin held up a hand. “How foolish do you think I am Kamen?, she does possess the beauty of a goddess but to put it simply she is beyond me”. His brilliant smile flashed out again.


This fan-fiction story © Gehn 2004.