BCU main page Bridge Commander Universe
...welcome to the new world.

FAQFAQ  RanksRanks  RulesRules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Staff SiteStaff Site    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Python Learning Resources and Assistance
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bridge Commander Universe Forum Index -> BC Scripting
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Sim Rex

Zodiac: Capricorn

Post Posted: 01-22-2003 12:58 AM Post subject: Python Learning Resources and Assistance

I've made this thread because it's clear that the BC community needs more scripters. There are people posting new ideas in here occassionally, but there's nobody around with both the knowledge and the time to make other peoples' ideas work. The logical solution is to do everything possible to help people learn Python, and some of the specifics of BC's Python interface.

PYTHON

The place to start if you're serious about learning Python is:

www.python.org

This is the official Python home page. You can download the latest version of Python here, if you wish (and if you intend to learn to use the language, I'd heartily recommend it!). Bridge Commander uses Python 1.5.2, so it might be best if you went with this version.

Also at this domain name are links to several good tutorials for learning Python. A direct link to the page with the tutorials on is:

http://www.python.org/doc/Newbies.html

And I particularly recommend A Non-Programmer's Tutorial for Python for those of you new to the concepts of programming.

Bridge Commander

As for Bridge Commander-specific stuff.. Well, I'm afraid there isn't really much around yet that I'm aware of. Bear in mind, everyone in the community that knows *anything* started off knowing nothing at all, and it is only trial and error, and sifting through the SDK that we've learnt how to do things!

When making new scripts for BC, this is the process I'd follow to configure my computer:

1. Install a second copy of BC, and patch it.

2. Extract the scripts from the BC SDK (Available here, I think you need only get V1.1)

3. Start scripting! Just go nuts and try *anything* at all! You can edit the .py files in any text editor, or if you've downloaded Python, you can use the editor it comes with, which has nice features like syntax highlighting and things.

And if it all goes wrong, your main BC install is still safe, and all you'll probably have to do is re-extract all the .py files from the SDK back into the Scripts directory! Nice and easy!

As I said, please feel free to use this thread to ask more questions, but please, try and keep the scope of your questions small! Asking for help with one particular problem you've found while working on something is far more likely to get a positive response than popping in and asking "How do I program it so that the saucer can seperate?". Where possible, if you have code that's playing up, attach a file so that people can have a look at it and try to work out what's wrong (You may need to change your file's extension to .txt, or zip your file, to attach it to the forum)

This thread should not be for other scripters to do all your work for you. It should be for other scripters to help you become a better scripter, so that the number of people working to make the game better can start to increase.

-- The Fallen Angel - Iron Maiden(Smith/Harris)

For beginner scripters - The BCU Mission Scripting Lessons

Sim Rex

Post Posted: 01-23-2003 01:35 AM Post subject:

Also, if any of the existing scripters have anything they feel would be useful for people to know anyway, they can feel free to post it here! The more the merrier!

sneaker98

Staff Administrator
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator

Zodiac: Gemini

Post Posted: 01-23-2003 08:58 PM Post subject:

Okay i have a few tips:

1) The best thing you can do for learning python in BC is to start small. Do ship hardpoints, then go onto other things like weapon mods n such.

2) Realize that BC is a real b*tch sometimes and things that should work, dont. Or that you have to have a specific order for something.. you dont think i got the Spatial Charges working after one go at it, do you? lol.. it took me about a month of testing and changing. You WILL get frustrated sometimes, but try to understand if there's a will there's a way.

3) Never ever EVER EVER ask for someone to spend the time to teach you. You will not learn nearly as much as if u did it for yourself, because if someone teaches you then you will be reliant on them. If you learn on your own you have places to start from and seen scripts that may give you ideas.

4) Post threads about what you are doing and ask for input. But dont feel you have to do what everyone asks. Lol if i did what everyone asked id still be working on some of my mods... But often someone comes along with really good advice.

5) Scripting takes time, so be prepared to spend it. Good mods dont appear overnight, they take a week or more to get together and working properly. And dont skimp on the effort!

6) My own rule to you guys: if u edit the effects.py LET ME KNOW. leave me a pm or something and i'll get u on my msn or or icq list because we need to make that file compatible with anything and everything someone releases. If enough people edit this thing i might combine all the mods into one downloadable file.

7) Foundation is god. Always try to use it to its full potential. Like, all my mods nowadays have been converted so i dont actually modify the effects.py file, i just replace subscripts within it using the foundation mutator. Its a lot better then changing the file itself.

Cool Get together with fellow scripters. BUT if you are a hardpointer dont try talkin to someone who scripts torpedo mods, or if u are a torpedo modder dont try talking to someone who does higher level scripting. Talk to people that are at about the same skill level as you.

9) Dont steal someones ideas or scripts. This is just common sense, but ive had it happen to me. If you get an idea from what someone has said or from someones already existing mod, talk to them and see if its okay. Chances are about 99% that the person will say "yeah, sure! no problem". i know i would've said sure if i had been asked.

10) Dont act like a god. Foundation is god, not you. Just because you script higher than others doesnt mean u can look down on them, because you were once at their level and they will be at yours soon if they have the will. BCU (and i) do not tolerate snobs.

11) Keep the scripts nice and clean. Add in commenting just in case your mod isnt compatible with someones and you have to make it compatible. I can guarantee that if you look at a script you did months ago you wont recognize what it does without a bunch've pouring over the scripts it calls. It'd all be easier if you had just commented. (i should do this more, myself!) Remember, comments are added using the "#" symbol. For example:
#setting an example value:
sneakerExample = 1132543

12) Just a lovely hint. If you need to test a value or what something does, use the print script. Eg:
print 'here's the value for sneakerExample: ', sneakerExample
The stuff in the 'xxxxx' are printed out as they appear, and you use "," to seperate. So my example would look like this in the python console:
here's the value for SneakerExample: 1132543

You can see the print value by opening up the python console. aka the "~" key IF you have testmode turned on.

13) The final rule, always keep the copy of Bridge Commander you use for scripting in the "-TestMode" state. You can do this by right clicking on the bridge commander shortcut icon and modifying the "target:" textbox. Make it look something like this:
"C:\Program Files\Bridge Commander\stbc.exe" -TestMode
But this depends on where the folder of your bridge commander is. Using the python console you can see where errors in your script are, its not hard to follow a script that you;ve modified yourself. You'll see "AttributeError" a lot, and stuff like that. Just follow it logically

Well i hope these 13 tips help you future scripters out. If you have questions leave me a PM.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

starforce2

BCU Intersite Relations Director

Zodiac: Libra

Post Posted: 02-26-2003 10:35 AM Post subject:

also, if you want to learn to hardpoint, know that this stuff is very hard to explain over an post or messenger. The best way is to use an exsisting game model and poke around and experiment. Or use a mod.

The hardest thing to learn is phaserbanks. A good strategy would be to do things 1 value at a time. First, you position your ship using the rotate feature. (the curved arrow). If it's a saucer, you should be directly above (or below) your phaserbank. Click the heavy black arrow on the top toolbar above your ship and guestimate the center of the phaser rink (using a galaxy as an example, this would eb close to the bridge) If the modder has a ring like phaserbank, and he's half-a**ed good at his texture work, it should be perfectly symetrical. Once you've clicked your spot, open your phaserbank by either selecting it and using edit property, or simply double clicking it. Click through the tabs, on the last tab, you will find "get position" on a button. click it. click ok. Now you have it close. Next, you need to look at your ship. Is the round loop larger, alot larger, or slightly smaller that the ring? If it's alot larger, reduce it. Whole numbers make a big change, so try changing it to a 1.XX value first. This is done by changing the elipse size on the first tab in your phaser. Adjusting is done by guess and check. Once you are close, click ok. (Click ok whenever you do something right, because if you screw up, you don't want to start completely over)

But wait, you're not done. Rotate your ship to a side view. You'll probably notice your phaserbank loop is sticking way above the hull!! (or below..ect) This is because it's center is the bridge dome, where you clicked, and it sticks up. Next, you need to edit the vertical value. I can never cemember which is which. I think it's Z moves up and down. (use trail and error, save your work first you can always hit cancle). Once you get the loop so it is just above the surface of the ship, you can continue to tweak the length and width of the loop, or move the center side to side or front to back to get it perfectly centered. This is again, trail and error. Remember, use very mall numbers, like hundreths or thousands if u want to move a little. (Thats the 2nd or 3rd to the right of the decimla for those non math people)

Once you have the loop centered and matches as closely as possible to the entire phaserbank, or atleast the area it will be firing from, you can set the ark. all those 1's, -1's and zero's above the loop size section are orientation. chaging the combination of of those will point the red arm in different directions. I don't know which numbers do what direction off the top of my head, but I plan on making a key later.

If the ship is like a galaxy scauer, where you have more that one phaser convering the same bank, the rest are easy. simply copy the X,Y,Z values to the next weapon and your centered. Then copy the loop size. Remember though, if your orientation is 90 degrees different (say the first one you did was a foreward, and now you are doing a port or starboard, you length and width need to be switched to achive the same shape.

I hope this helps some people with phaserbanks.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

Captain Jack Meoff

Ensign
Ensign

Post Posted: 03-10-2003 01:53 AM Post subject: Thanks

Hey thanks for the help.....Im learning quickly ive already altered my tractors to pull astroids and small ships and ive increased sheild strenght......and I started today, knowing nuthing of BC scripting

Fallen_angel

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Zodiac: Taurus

Post Posted: 05-06-2003 04:19 PM Post subject:

same progres here. I have altered some weapon scripts and now I'm trying to do aweapon myself

Offical BCfiles tech support guy

sneaker98

Staff Administrator
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator

Zodiac: Gemini

Post Posted: 05-06-2003 08:59 PM Post subject:

Thats the best way to do it, start with something small like hardpointing, then once you're comfortable make something large.. like a weapon. Keep making those, more and more complex, and then its only a small step towards actual scripting. It takes a month or two, but its worth it. Keep up the good scripting, guys Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

Fallen_angel

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: 05-07-2003 06:51 PM Post subject:

Just one more question.
What knowlage do I need for BC ? I mean, do I have to learn the whole language ?

Sim Rex

Post Posted: 05-07-2003 10:36 PM Post subject:

Fallen_angel wrote:
Just one more question.
What knowlage do I need for BC ? I mean, do I have to learn the whole language ?

You need to know the concepts more than the actual language... There're a lot of things in Python that you will never need, because it is a fully functioning program language in its own right.

Think of it as being like a "real" language, say French or German or Spanish, or whatever. What you need to learn is the syntax and grammar rules. Not every word in the dictionary.

Hope that kinda made it clear for you...

Important things to know include:

Functions - defining and using
Classes - defining and using
Data Structures - Lists, Dictionaries, Tuples
Importing new modules

Basically, all the handy things that a good tutorial will teach you.

Fallen_angel

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: 05-08-2003 06:57 PM Post subject:

Thanks Rex, that was exactly what I wanted to know

Defiant

Free "as in Free Speech" Engineer
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 06-12-2003 06:17 PM Post subject:

Hello
Sim Rex asked me to write a little Tutorial here, how to add Buttons for QuickBattle.
Well I got it out from Banbury's QuickBattle Replacement.
One of the best Mods out there!!!

It is very easy, so lets start:

1. you need the Engineering script (hopefully soon available @bcfiles.com).

2. Then goto the Directory scripts/QuickBattle/QBautostart
All new Buttons for Quick Battle will go there.

3. Now, lets create a new file and Name it Saffiauth.py
We have to import this first:
Code:

import App
import MissionLib
import Bridge.BridgeUtils
import Lib.Ambiguity
import QuickBattle.QuickBattle

then we need the stupid stuff like pBridge...
Code:

pBridge = App.g_kSetManager.GetSet('bridge')
BridgeType = App.BridgeSet_Cast(pBridge).GetConfig()
g_pSaffi = App.CharacterClass_GetObject(pBridge, "XO")
pSaffiMenu = Bridge.BridgeUtils.GetBridgeMenu("XO")
ET_XO_AUTH = App.Mission_GetNextEventType()

...and here we have something Interresting:
ET_XO_AUTH is our Action variable.

And now the Button:
Code:

if (g_pSaffi != None):
   event = Lib.Ambiguity.getEvent(ET_XO_AUTH)
   g_pSaffi.AddPythonFuncHandlerForInstance(event, __name__ + ".XOAuth")
   pButton = QuickBattle.QuickBattle.CreateBridgeMenuButton(App.TGString("Authorization"), event, 0, g_pSaffi)
   pSaffiMenu.PrependChild(pButton)

I don't know what I should explain here.
It is all very self-explaining.
A simple pButton.SetDisabled() will disable the Button.

And last, but not least our Fuction (What todo by clicking on that button):
Code:

def XOAuth(pObject, pEvent):
   pCharacter = App.CharacterClass_Cast(App.g_kSetManager.GetSet("bridge").GetObject("XO"))
   pCharacter.SpeakLine(pCharacter.GetDatabase(),"SaffiCommand")

--
Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
-- Mark Twain

uff-tslaura

Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Post Posted: 11-30-2003 06:27 PM Post subject:

hey i have a question "sarcastic look and smile" so how do i script, change mission, ship seperation, shuttle launches, can't i code them to walk around the bridge? how do i make the ai smarter? how do i make them fight well? how do i, oh wait i was just playing here lol hey sim whats up

Sim Rex

Post Posted: 11-30-2003 07:00 PM Post subject:

uff-tslaura wrote:
hey i have a question "sarcastic look and smile" so how do i script, change mission, ship seperation, shuttle launches, can't i code them to walk around the bridge? how do i make the ai smarter? how do i make them fight well? how do i, oh wait i was just playing here lol hey sim whats up

Hehe... Hello, long time no see! Saw your other posts around the place.. Does this mean you're going to be getting back to BC scripting?

Sim Rex

Post Posted: 12-04-2003 03:31 PM Post subject: From another thread....

Giving your bridges unique red alert sounds

Originally posted by Admiral Ames in another thread:

The only file I need to edit is the main bridge file. I simply add this line in the LoadSounds definition:

Code:
   pGame.LoadSoundInGroup("sfx/redalertintrepid.wav", "RedAlertSound", "BridgeGeneric")

Its the same line for every bridge, the only difference being the wav file link. This will override whatever is in loadbridge automatically so it doesn't need to be edited. If this file isn't there, it will just use loadbridge's redalert.

uff-tslaura

Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Post Posted: 12-06-2003 04:31 AM Post subject: YEP!

actually i am trying, you guys are WAY ahead of me on the scripting, i have been talking and working with jwatts on some things, we have been testing cam scripts and waypoint creations from within the game editor, right now we got a good bit worked out so far

Ames

Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 12-07-2003 03:58 AM Post subject:

Proper Tutorial:

Open up the python file of the bridge you want to give specific audio to.
File will be Bridge Commander\Scripts\Bridge\"BridgeName.py"

Find "def LoadSounds():"

There wil likely be a line under it similar to this:
ConsoleExplosion3 - Console Explosion 3
Code:
   pGame.LoadSoundInGroup("sfx/door.wav",  "LiftDoor", "BridgeGeneric")

Copy that code and paste a new copy of it directly below it. Change the second copy so that it reads:

Code:
   pGame.LoadSoundInGroup("SoundName",  "SoundType", "BridgeGeneric")

Now, replace SoundType with one of the following. This will chose which sound you want to override. Keep it surrounded in the quotes.

SoundType - Description

AmbBridge - Ambient Bridge Noise
RedAlertSound - Red Alert Sound
YellowAlertSound - Yellow Alert Sound
GreenAlertSound - Green Alert Sound
CollisionAlertSound - Collision Warning Sound
ViewOn - Viewscreen On
ViewOff - Viewscreen Off
ConsoleExplosion1 - Console Explosion 1
ConsoleExplosion2 - Console Explosion 2
ConsoleExplosion3 - Console Explosion 3
ConsoleExplosion4 - Console Explosion 4
ConsoleExplosion5 - Console Explosion 5
ConsoleExplosion6 - Console Explosion 6
ConsoleExplosion7 - Console Explosion 7
ConsoleExplosion8 - Console Explosion 8
InSystemWarp - In System Warp Sound

Next Replace SoundName with the address of the sound you want. Keep it surrounded in the quotes. Sounds are relative to your main BC directory. So the redalert sound address is sfx/redalert.wav

Example. This one overwrites the red alert sound with a file called redalertsovereign which is stored in bc/sfx

Code:
   pGame.LoadSoundInGroup("sfx/redalertsovereign.wav",  "RedAlertSound", "BridgeGeneric")

"All I ask for is a tall ship and a star to steer her by," John Masefield.

Sim Rex

Post Posted: 12-07-2003 02:29 PM Post subject: Re: YEP!

uff-tslaura wrote:
actually i am trying, you guys are WAY ahead of me on the scripting, i have been talking and working with jwatts on some things, we have been testing cam scripts and waypoint creations from within the game editor, right now we got a good bit worked out so far

Oh, I've been doing a little bit of that kind of stuff lately... Creating a couple of AI flight paths for ships to follow, really - not looked at running a camera along those paths yet. Have been doing a tiny little bit of camera manipulation, though, mostly just using the DropAndWatch function to watch a specific ship doing something vaguely interesting Wink

EDIT - Admiral Ames, thanks for drawing up a proper, and far more extensive, tutorial Smile

jwattsjr

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Posted: 12-07-2003 07:45 PM Post subject: Re: YEP!

Sim Rex wrote:
Oh, I've been doing a little bit of that kind of stuff lately... Creating a couple of AI flight paths for ships to follow, really - not looked at running a camera along those paths yet. Have been doing a tiny little bit of camera manipulation, though, mostly just using the DropAndWatch function to watch a specific ship doing something vaguely interesting Wink

Sim Rex, if you'll look at HelmMenuHandlers.py, in the WarpPressed function, there's code that'll modify how
the d&w camera behaves. Useful if you want the effect to be more consistent.

skipper

Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

Post Posted: 12-07-2003 10:15 PM Post subject:

Sorry to bi*ch on about this but could a Thirdperson/ Thirstperson be controled to move around the bridge?

And as well which would you have to go into the camera.py cameramode.py

I tried just slapping any old thing down like I think it was one in the Galaxybridge.py i put

def Thirdperson
import Data.Nif

and some other things i carnt remember but what happend was that all the crew was placed infront of the camera with there arms out lol

but if you could help it be kewl and greatfull thanks

oh and spellings important is it? hehe

Sim Rex

Post Posted: 12-07-2003 11:56 PM Post subject: Re: YEP!

jwattsjr wrote:
Sim Rex, if you'll look at HelmMenuHandlers.py, in the WarpPressed function, there's code that'll modify how
the d&w camera behaves. Useful if you want the effect to be more consistent.

Oooh, I'll give that a look some time.. It doesn't matter too much for how it's being used right now, but it could be very useful Smile

BookBomB

BC2 Spam God
General
General

Post Posted: 12-09-2003 02:43 AM Post subject:

I think I will give this a try.

Mikesla

Mister
Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

Post Posted: 01-17-2004 04:34 AM Post subject: Thanks

Your right, it's just like a different language to me.

I'll be visiting this particular forum quite often. Just finished downloading everything...so off I go.

dramatdude

Ensign
Ensign

Zodiac: Aries

Post Posted: 04-24-2004 07:39 PM Post subject:

I started trying to mod P81's Sovereign today...to use for my ownself, just to start learning. I can't seem to get some of the weapons I place to fire, can anyone help me out?

MLeo

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Zodiac: Aquarius

Post Posted: 04-24-2004 08:54 PM Post subject:

dramatdude wrote:
I started trying to mod P81's Sovereign today...to use for my ownself, just to start learning. I can't seem to get some of the weapons I place to fire, can anyone help me out?

Did you use the MPE?

If not, did you add them (see at the end of the file)?

dramatdude

Ensign
Ensign

Post Posted: 04-25-2004 05:57 AM Post subject:

Yes I did use MPE. Sorry it took me so long to respond....few minutes after I posted, I turned off my computer and went out. Just got back.

MLeo

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 04-25-2004 08:27 AM Post subject:

But did you add the subsystems?

dramatdude

Ensign
Ensign

Post Posted: 04-25-2004 02:14 PM Post subject:

I'm pretty sure I did. I'll have to check that though.

dramatdude

Ensign
Ensign

Post Posted: 04-27-2004 01:50 AM Post subject:

Okay....I checked it...deleted them...and tried again. And now they all work with no problems. Weird. Thanks anyway.

skipper

Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

Post Posted: 07-29-2004 06:46 PM Post subject:

Hi been a while since i've been here haha and you might think im stupid asking this question but i've managed to add a menu in the helm but what i need help with is adding sub menues in like setcourse to ...... if you no what i mean thanks for any help Cool

MLeo

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 07-29-2004 09:18 PM Post subject:

skipper wrote:
Hi been a while since i've been here haha and you might think im stupid asking this question but i've managed to add a menu in the helm but what i need help with is adding sub menues in like setcourse to ...... if you no what i mean thanks for any help Cool

You can add content to that menu just like it was the Helm Menu (ie. AddChild, PrependChild, InsertChild).

How to beat the Black Screen Of Death and Script problems Also handles Console/Screen/Error report/dump.
BC Technical FAQ [Last updated 26/12/2005]
"Trust me, I'm a con artist" - Moist von Lipwig, "Going Postal, Discworld"