BCU main page Bridge Commander Universe
...welcome to the new world.

FAQFAQ  RanksRanks  RulesRules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Staff SiteStaff Site    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adding ships to Multiplayer, Help, Answers, & Questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bridge Commander Universe Forum Index -> BC Multiplayer
View previous topic :: View next topic  

WraithZero

Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

Post Posted: 07-15-2004 04:53 AM Post subject:

It went black on all of them

But then again I tested MPMP, and modified the files, then did all the above. They all work now for the most part. I guess you need MPMP to make it work.

WraithZero

Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

Post Posted: 07-18-2004 04:53 PM Post subject:

Now I know that MP works on my machine, with MPMP. I had a friend try and copy my bridge commander directory over to his computer so we had exactly the same files. I hosted the game, but when he tried to join, it told him a file mismatch on a .pyc file in /scripts/ships. How can there be a file mismatch when he has exactly the same files as I do; the same files that he copied over to his machine from mine?

jwattsjr

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Zodiac: Taurus

Post Posted: 07-18-2004 09:12 PM Post subject:

WraithZero wrote:
Now I know that MP works on my machine, with MPMP. I had a friend try and copy my bridge commander directory over to his computer so we had exactly the same files. I hosted the game, but when he tried to join, it told him a file mismatch on a .pyc file in /scripts/ships. How can there be a file mismatch when he has exactly the same files as I do; the same files that he copied over to his machine from mine?

Is there a .py file in addition to the .pyc? If so, I'll bet if you check the .pyc in question on his machine, you'll find that the game compiled a new one. I've run into this problem myself when testing. The only solution I've found is to delete the .py and the new.pyc, then copy only the .pyc back into the subdirectory.

WraithZero

Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

Post Posted: 07-20-2004 06:23 AM Post subject:

I'll try that.

WraithZero

Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

Post Posted: 07-26-2004 03:23 AM Post subject:

And the end result

it worked!!!

It needs work as it is incomplete to some degree

but it worked!!!

jwattsjr

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Posted: 07-26-2004 09:04 PM Post subject:

Cool. Glad I was able to help.

darkshimmer

TERTIARY 2A
TERTIARY 2A

Post Posted: 07-29-2004 01:03 PM Post subject:

you do realize that if you plan to make a mod for public use, you can't because you used MPMP to correct your problem.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

WraithZero

Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

Post Posted: 08-05-2004 06:55 AM Post subject:

No I didn't realize that.

My intent was to get all my mods to work in multiplayer, and to test it. It is not my intent to make any public download, fix, or anything of the like. my test, and future playability of BC is to only be shared only with willing and interested participants in a completely private setting. I do not intend to share or play my modded version of BC online.

darkshimmer

TERTIARY 2A
TERTIARY 2A

Post Posted: 08-05-2004 11:12 PM Post subject:

ok, i'm just making sure. I'm just avoiding any future problems.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

WraithZero

Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

Post Posted: 08-06-2004 06:03 AM Post subject:

I understand. I'm no modder anyway. I'd like to though, and have the tutorials, All I need is time to work on it. Although I do think mpmp could be expanded in such to be similar to mine( speaking mainly in terms of multiplayable ships: 160 in various genre's for total sci-fi clashing) That is only my opinion.

darkshimmer

TERTIARY 2A
TERTIARY 2A

Post Posted: 08-06-2004 12:45 PM Post subject:

well MPMP was never developed for use with star wars or b5 ships. Don't get me wrong, while i am a total sci-fi fan, i just don't like the idea of crossing different shows togather.

Now MPMP v2.1 will have a total of 210 ships when its completed. Its just going to be a long process. The one thing that i have been working on which is now 2 years in development (it just needs some minor tweeks) is called the Ship Building Interface (SBI). This basically allows for me to take any ship with the same total out in terawatts and configure it differently... in essence a ship with 30,000 terawatts for 8 phaser will have less power per phaser than a ship with 30,000 terawatts and only 6 phasers.

If you want more info onthis i'll tell you when i sign back on

WraithZero

Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

Post Posted: 08-07-2004 06:22 AM Post subject:

I would like more info on it. It sounds pretty cool.

Startrekfan821

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Zodiac: Scorpio

Post Posted: 08-10-2004 08:35 PM Post subject:

I have a question, would it be against any kind of rules er anything if I were to take a bunch of ships from bc files and add them to multiplayer, and then like try to put it on bc files or something, and I'd give credit to the authirs in 2 places, in a readme and in the ship's description in the actual game.... i just think that would be a cool thing to do.. lol

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

darkshimmer

TERTIARY 2A
TERTIARY 2A

Post Posted: 08-10-2004 10:48 PM Post subject:

normally you would need permission from the creator of the ship... nowadays they just want credit in the readme for the mod. If you plan to alter the hardpoint, then you would generally need permission from the person who created the hardpoint. If you plan to create a new hardpoint for the ships then no you do not.

The thing about putting a bunch of ships together is simply this... there are mods out there that have already done this. For example, MPMP, BC 1.2-1.3, & BC Expanse. These are the most popular of the bunch, but they are all different in many respects. If you plan to put a multiplayer mod together its best to make it so its different than any other mod out there.

But i can assure you that my mod, MPMP v2.1, Will blow any other multiplayer mod right out of the water.... Only way for you to see how is to play it.

darkshimmer

TERTIARY 2A
TERTIARY 2A

Post Posted: 08-10-2004 10:50 PM Post subject:

Wraith i haven't forgotten about you... first chance i get i will give you more details....or you can visit my site www.digital-underground.us and post your interest there in the mpmp forums and i will explain it more... i check my site more than i check BCU.

WraithZero

Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

Post Posted: 08-11-2004 07:05 AM Post subject:

Sure if I have some time. I have tried to do other things with my BC; i.e. upgrade the stock ships to be more accurate with more Book Technical specs. Tried playin it in sp and it had some problems (not unusual) but a later lan game playin BF-Vietnam crashed my computer. I'm busy trying to recover.

darkshimmer

TERTIARY 2A
TERTIARY 2A

Post Posted: 08-11-2004 12:48 PM Post subject:

yea well your not the only one recovering.... i'm having difficulty with my game atm... it will start once or twice then crash, when i try to start it again afterwards it dumps to desktop...

Defiant

Free "as in Free Speech" Engineer
Admiral
Admiral

Zodiac: Capricorn

Post Posted: 08-11-2004 02:12 PM Post subject:

darkshimmer wrote:
yea well your not the only one recovering.... i'm having difficulty with my game atm... it will start once or twice then crash, when i try to start it again afterwards it dumps to desktop...

do you have a professional scripter in your group that can solve this kind of problem?
If not, feel free to contact the scripting forum here.

--
Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
-- Mark Twain

Startrekfan821

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 08-11-2004 08:29 PM Post subject:

I just want to put a large number of ships together that are from bcfiles and add them to multiplayer, not really mod anything, just add the ships to multi, and give the authoer credit in the readme AND in the tgl'g discriptions of the ships, and include the speciestoship.py so people can add ships them selfs er whetever.... and make it available on bcfiles for all to get but its mainly gonna be a multiplayer thing for me and my friends, lol, but I just thought It'd be something neat to do.... lol.. especially since I'm not a really great modder.... i can just edit ships and make torps and stuff... lol.. and add it to multiplayer, with a description =P

Movie Quote of the whenever I change it:

"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine." - Obi Wan Kanobe - Star Wars (I think, lol, Confused )

Thank you for not smoking. Mr. Green

Startrekfan821@hotmail.com | http://www.spaceviews.net/

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

darkshimmer

TERTIARY 2A
TERTIARY 2A

Post Posted: 08-11-2004 10:45 PM Post subject:

Defiant:

Well i can always use a scripter... i'm always running into issues and perhaps you can fix the warpfx issue i'm having with MP mod... Let me know if you want to jump on the MPMP team.

StartrekFan:

You given any thought to just joining a team? i know i'm looking for help hardpointing and updating the ships we have. With the beta coming out soon i'm hoping to keep up the pace or accelerate the pace as i get more people.

i can give you both access and training on how to use CVS... which is what we are currently using to get MPMP organized and updated, so everyone is working at the same time through various parts... trying to get everything ready.

WraithZero

Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

Post Posted: 08-12-2004 06:19 AM Post subject:

I unfortunetly don't mod or script. Will learn eventually though. When I do, a lot of stuff that I feel is inaccurate will be corrected.

darkshimmer

TERTIARY 2A
TERTIARY 2A

Post Posted: 08-13-2004 01:05 AM Post subject:

WraithZero wrote:
I unfortunetly don't mod or script. Will learn eventually though. When I do, a lot of stuff that I feel is inaccurate will be corrected.

it will come, just takes time

Startrekfan821

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 08-18-2004 03:30 PM Post subject:

Well... I don't know if I'd be any good, all i can really do... is edit ships hardpoints with the model property editor, make torpedos - kinda, and make modded ships that use exsisting ship models that people can get all from bc during joining, with a description... thats really all i can do.... I've poked around the scripts and found other things to do, like i changed the music played during multiplayer to music from the single player game, to make it a little more interesting... mostly all I've done is mess with the stock ships from bc 1.0, like editing the hardpoints, adding a torp, or like i added a repair phaser to the back of a sov, and done all this so people could get it whilest joining the game. the descriptions took a while to figure out how to do those... but i found in a multiplayer script, a refernce to data/tgl/ships.tgl so.... i took ships.tgl, copied it into multipayer folder, renamed it to shipstgl.pyc so bc would send it, then changed the refernce to scripts/multiplayer/shipstgl.pyc then used the tgl editor on bc files to add descriptions.... and a friend told me that bc will use the folder /scripts/multiplayer/ships before /scripts/ships if you were wondering how I got them in there in the 1st place, but there can be problems with editing the stock ships hardpoints themselfs.... if the client jions a game without a ships folder in the multiplayer, thier ships in multiplayer folder will not match the hosts, and thier bc will still try to use them.... so you think rename it to something else... not that simple... for some reason bc will distort the view if the ship isn't in scripts/ships so.... you have to use the name of an unused ship script name thats in the multiplayer/ships folder then you add it to species to ship, and the same goes for torps.... you gotta put them in multiplayer folder, like copy the projectiles folder to the multiplayer, put your new torp there, and in the hardpoint, instead of tactical.projectiles its multiplayer.projectiles and I'm sorry I've rambled... but I've just pretty much explained everything i have learnt on my own.... and i have no knowledge of how python works... I've just looked for variables in the files... I don't know if i could help.... but if you think i could i could try, i won't have alot of free time as I'm (hopefully) getting into the community college in my area this semester, which starts august 30th, I'm taking computer sciences though so I might be able to learn some more about programming and stuff, only thing i ever programmed in at all was qbasic back on my first computer, and old tandy laptop with dos 6.22 my friend gave me years ago...

"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine." - Obi Wan Kanobe - Star Wars (I think, lol, Confused )

Darkthunder

Admiral
Admiral

Zodiac: Aquarius

Post Posted: 08-18-2004 05:09 PM Post subject:

No offence Startrekfan, but your messages would be a lot easier to read if you sectioned them off, once in a while Smile

And as darkshimmer said, we're always on the look out for scripters, hardpointers etc willing to assist in speeding up the production of the MPMP mod.

darkshimmer

TERTIARY 2A
TERTIARY 2A

Post Posted: 08-18-2004 06:15 PM Post subject:

well who ever showed you to put torps and ships and other files and place them into the multiplayer folder should be taken out and shot repeatedly with needles.

that is what we call dirty scripting.... what your doing is allowing other people to cheat in multiplayer games and having them download content they don't need to have. If you were to put the files in there proper place an just make an installer, the multiplayer issues would completely go away.

its becuase of people putting ships, torpedoes and other scripts into the multiplayer folder that kills the multiplayer in BC. Now you know what not to do.

Startrekfan821

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 08-18-2004 06:58 PM Post subject:

*Gulp.....* Really? Freaked I didn't think it was cheating... since everyone can use the ships.... and I've figured out how to do it without making it impossible for other people to join regular games.... ppl in the multiplayers games tell me they like it.... and people have told me they're not against it if everyone can use the ships.... Sad

Startrekfan821

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 08-18-2004 07:00 PM Post subject:

By the way I'm still learning and everything and am veeeery much a newbie at all this junk......

darkshimmer

TERTIARY 2A
TERTIARY 2A

Post Posted: 08-18-2004 07:02 PM Post subject:

Startrekfan821 wrote:
*Gulp.....* Really? Freaked I didn't think it was cheating... since everyone can use the ships.... and I've figured out how to do it without making it impossible for other people to join regular games.... ppl in the multiplayers games tell me they like it.... and people have told me they're not against it if everyone can use the ships.... Sad

then you should consider making an installer, putting the files in the right places and just putting out updates, the other way your forcing people to download things they don't want.... its also a good way to pass along embedded viruses which in the past was an issue in BC.

Startrekfan821

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 08-18-2004 07:08 PM Post subject:

whoa.... viruses....... well... i virus scaned the scripts and i put in the game title it was modded..... iuno... lol... well... now that I got my own webserver.... i could put stuff on there..... and btw.... if u think i could help with making hardpoints for ships..... i could upload some things I've done to my site and you could look at it..... or i could email it or whatever.... lol... iuno... just lemme know.....

Defiant

Free "as in Free Speech" Engineer
Admiral
Admiral

Zodiac: Capricorn

Post Posted: 08-18-2004 07:46 PM Post subject:

btw, there are much better ways to cheat...much better and no one will ever notice Razz *scnr*

--
Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
-- Mark Twain