BCU main page Bridge Commander Universe
...welcome to the new world.

FAQFAQ  RanksRanks  RulesRules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Staff SiteStaff Site    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adding ships to Multiplayer, Help, Answers, & Questions
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bridge Commander Universe Forum Index -> BC Multiplayer
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Startrekfan821

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Zodiac: Scorpio

Post Posted: 02-18-2004 07:32 AM Post subject: Adding ships to Multiplayer, Help, Answers, & Questions

I have updated this first post to let people know that I would like this thread to become a Q & A for adding ships to multiplayer, and it might should be moved to the scripting or something, i dunno, I myself don't know a lot about this topic yet, But i intend to share what I know and I would hope you will do the same. Thank you. (BTW, this is the only post i've edited of mine for anything other than corrections, and i left my orignal message below, so, lol, you can see what a dummy i am, lol, Laughing )

--Original Message--
I need some help please, I got the idea to make a "Pack" of a bunch of ships from BCFILES.COM but i discovered that the ships were only in quickbattle, not multiplayer, I have spend several hours hunting on this site and tinkering with bc....i found posts about this topic but none were really helpful, i got a tgl editor and added entries for the ships, but they still aren't in multiplayer....I tried everything i could think of, i looked for a script editor but came up short, wouldn't really matter because I have no FREAKING idea what to edit.....I've tried and tried.....but with no freaking luck, i was so excited too, i had like 40 ships. and i was gonna give it to the other guys i play with on bc and they could give it to other ppl too, etc. but its all in vein unless SOMEONE will PLEASE tell me how the heck to do this......I'm getting really fustrated its 2am now....I'm gonna go to bed and hope that someone will help me...PLEASE SOMEONE ANYONE HHHEEELLLPPP!!! I've been able to figure out that there is like some file that i need to edit r something but I need a heck of a lot of help....I'm in the dark.....lol, I just really need some help ppl, so if you can find it in your heart, PLEASE HELP ME!, and if you can't, PLEASE HELP ME ANYWAY!!! thx ahead of time for any help.....

Startrekfan821@hotmail.com

Bang head on wall Is it over yet? Help

Newbie 2

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

MadJohn

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 02-18-2004 11:40 AM Post subject:

Ok but your not going to like it.......
To get extra ships into MultiPlayer you have to add them to the Scripts.MultiPlayer.SpeciesToShip.py file.
There are two entries for each ship and it seems that where you insert your ships is important!

As you look down the file you notice the numbers next to each ship, these must remain consecitive, so you must insert your ships and 'bump' the rest down.
At the bottom of this list you see the lines

MAX_SHIPS = 46 <------ This is the total number of ships you have
MAX_FLYABLE_SHIPS = 16 <---- This is number of ships you wish to use

In the second refrence you insert your ships in the same relative place as you did previously, so if you started adding ships from 16 on you would place them in the same place and 'bump' the rest.

So far so good, but this is where my knowlage stops, the ships will show up as '???' in the multiplayer menues and I'm not sure how to get the Shipname to show up here. Also the ship icons are wrong or simply not there. But the ships are playable!
I would also suggest that you only give your friends the new SpeciesToShip.pyc, this way you wont get the mismatch problem( as long as you are all using ships that came with the .pyc files included). If not you will have to insure that all your ships.hardpoints.ShipName.pyc files are the same these are the files the game uses for the cheksum test. I would sugest you bundel up the relevant .pyc's with the new SpeciesToShip.pyc file, to give to your mates.

Hope this is some help, MadJohn

If Knowlage is Power, Share the Power!

Startrekfan821

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 02-18-2004 05:28 PM Post subject:

I can't find that file, I found one ending in .pyc but no .py files......I looked at this Speciestoship.pyc file in notepad, and I didn't see the numbers you talked about, I saw other stuff that you talked about though.....I'm gonna back it up and try....

Startrekfan821@hotmail.com

Confused Do you eat soup, or drink it? Confused

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

Chris Jones

Post Posted: 02-20-2004 04:36 AM Post subject:

Download this:

http://www.bcfiles.com/file.info?ID=2455

It's the original files used to compile the game.

In there you'll see the SpeciesToShip.py file in the scripts/multiplayer folder.

Startrekfan821

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 02-21-2004 04:18 AM Post subject:

Ok, thank you, um now another question, how do you make a copy of a ship in the game like for example the sovereign, and modify it, and add it to the menu, it should download with the scripts right? I was wondering because this guy did that with a bird of prey, called it the RanKuf, I was wanting to make some more powerful "Refits" of ships that are already in the game that people can get when dowloading scripts.....i would apreaciate any help, and thx for that one file thing, that did help.

Movie Quote of the whenever I change it:

"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine." - Obi Wan Kanobe - Star Wars (I think, lol, Confused )

Thank you for not smoking. Mr. Green

Startrekfan821@hotmail.com | http://www.spaceviews.net/

Ames

Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 02-21-2004 04:25 AM Post subject:

The Rankuf was actually included with the game as a specific persons ship. If you add your own ships, you will get compatibility errors.

"All I ask for is a tall ship and a star to steer her by," John Masefield.

USS Phoenix

Department Head, CTU Field Operations
BCU Mod Team
BCU Mod Team

Zodiac: Capricorn

Post Posted: 02-21-2004 04:50 AM Post subject:

*Takes a deeeeeep breath*

Okay, charge your disruptor and sharpen your batleh, we're going in! Mr. Green

First, get the SDK, as Chris Jones said. Next, open the file "ShiptoSpecies.py" in the "Bridge Commander\Scripts\Multiplayer" folder, and leave that file open. NOTE: I would suggest that you use notepad to open this file. Now, you DO NOT have to mess with all the numbers like MadJohn said.

Anyway, the first thing to do is this: Find out the name of the ship file that you want to use in multiplayer. Find these in the "Bridge Commander\Scripts\Ships" folder. For instance, say you want to add your Sovereign upgrade. There might be a ship.py file in that folder called "SovUpgrade.py". Okay, so we now know that the name we want is "SovUpgrade". Now, go back to the "ShiptoSpecies.py" file. Find this line:
("BorgCube", App.SPECIES_BORG, "Borg", 1),

Copy that line, and paste it as a new line. Now, change "BorgCube" to "SovUpgrade", and "SPECIES_BORG" to "SPECIES_SOVEREIGN" and "Borg" to "Federation".

Okay, now for the sake of being sure, save the "ShiptoSpecies.py" file. Now, start up BC and test the Multiplayer. You SHOULD now be able to use your Sovereign Upgrade. It will probably have no icon or name, but it should work.

Okay, is that worked, you now have the basic idea. To get the ships to have names, you have to edit TGL files. To do this, you'll ned to get the "TGL Editor", uh...I have no idea where to get that... I'll see if I have it laying around.

Now, one big thing to know is that BC is VEEEEERY touchy about mods in Multiplayer. To play over the internet, you're gonna have to have exactly the same scripts as those you want to play against. So, what I would suggest doing in packing up all the scripts people would need and releasing them as a single download.

To do this, I assume you know how to add a modded ship into Quick Battle. Now, since you mentioned that you mainly want upgrades to standard ships, I assume you won't be using any new models, is that right? Even if so, not a big deal. Aaaanywho, back to the point:

Here's what you would have to pack up:
All the Ship.py files
All the Hardpoint.py files
All new ship models
All necessary TGLs (I'll have to go and look to find what ones you need, specifically)
The ShiptoSpecies.py file

Oh, and BTW:
Quote:
Do you eat soup, or drink it?

Neither. I hate soup. Mr. Green

Startrekfan821

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 02-21-2004 05:45 AM Post subject:

Ok what i was wondering about was the RanKuf that was in that game, I don't think it was the one from the game because it had a description written by that person, and they had stuff about their changes to it, I noticed in my .\scripts\multiplayer folder there was a file called RanKuf.pyc..could that have been it? basically what i want to do is be able to upgrade a ship that is already within the game and add a new entry for it, or if i have to I could replace the old ship with the upgrade......is there ANY way that this could be done though the files sent when joining a game? thx for any help, and thank you SOOOO much for all the help already....if anyone knows of or has any tutorial on doing this sort of thing, adding ships to multi, I would greatly appreciate it, I want to make a ship addon pack, containg a lot of ships you can download off of bcfiles.com, and make it available on bcfiles if i can, so people can have a lot of new ships in multiplayer by just installing that pack.
And this has been a great help, thank you so much, I am glad that there are people who will help other people and I shall return the favor if I can ever help someone else. I would like to thank everyone for the help they have already given and the help they will give. thank you.

"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine." - Obi Wan Kanobe - Star Wars (I think, lol, Confused )

Startrekfan821

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 02-26-2004 01:28 AM Post subject:

Ok, I feel like an idiot, lol, that guy DID add the Rankuf from the game, I just thought he typed its description r something, but when i opend the original ships.tgl, .... it was there, say hello to Mr. idiot here, lol, but I would like to learn all i can and help enhance Bridge Commander, for everyone. I welcome any help anyone has and thak you for your help already, oh and, I love the fact you can edit you own messages if u need to, lol, I had some spelling errors, very useful, hmmm, maybe this thread should be in scripting, since it seems that is what I will need to know, if anyone has any links to tutiorials, etc. please post them, not only for me but for others trying to do this too.

And.....

I've discovered that how you edit the Speciestoship.py and Speciestosystem.py is by
well, for example:

# Beginning of Speciestoship.py
import App

# types for initializing objects create from C.
UNKNOWN = 0
AKIRA = 1
AMBASSADOR = 2
GALAXY = 3
NEBULA = 4
SOVEREIGN = 5
BIRDOFPREY = 6
VORCHA = 7
WARBIRD = 8
MARAUDER = 9
GALOR = 10
KELDON = 11
CARDHYBRID = 12
KESSOKHEAVY = 13
KESSOKLIGHT = 14
SHUTTLE = 15
CARDFREIGHTER = 16
FREIGHTER = 17
TRANSPORT = 18
SPACEFACILITY = 19
COMMARRAY = 20
COMMLIGHT = 21
DRYDOCK = 22
PROBE = 23
DECOY = 24
SUNBUSTER = 25
CARDOUTPOST = 26
CARDSTARBASE = 27
CARDSTATION = 28
FEDOUTPOST = 29
FEDSTARBASE = 30
ASTEROID = 31
ASTEROID1 = 32
ASTEROID2 = 33
ASTEROID3 = 34
AMAGON = 35
BIRANUSTATION = 36
ENTERPRISE = 37
GERONIMO = 38
PEREGRINE = 39
ASTEROIDH1 = 40
ASTEROIDH2 = 41
ASTEROIDH3 = 42
ESCAPEPOD = 43
KESSOKMINE = 44
BORGCUBE = 45
# (add new ships here)
NEWSHIP = 46
MAX_SHIPS = 47 #(Make sure this number is 1 higher than your last ship above)
MAX_FLYABLE_SHIPS = 46 #(this number controls how many ships down the list to display)

# Setup tuples
# (This is the list from in Multiplayer, where u add ships at here will be the order on the menu, and the max flyable ships will tell bc how many to show. Some of the entries will crash your game though, like don't pick an asteroid for a ship....)
kSpeciesTuple = (
(None, 0, "Neutral", 0),
("Akira", App.SPECIES_AKIRA, "Federation", 1),
("Ambassador", App.SPECIES_AMBASSADOR, "Federation", 1),
("Galaxy", App.SPECIES_GALAXY, "Federation", 1),
("Nebula" , App.SPECIES_NEBULA, "Federation", 1),
("Sovereign" , App.SPECIES_SOVEREIGN, "Federation", 1),
("BirdOfPrey", App.SPECIES_BIRD_OF_PREY, "Klingon", 1),
("Vorcha" , App.SPECIES_VORCHA, "Klingon", 1),
("Warbird" , App.SPECIES_WARBIRD, "Romulan", 1),
("Marauder" , App.SPECIES_MARAUDER, "Ferengi", 1),
("Galor" , App.SPECIES_GALOR, "Cardassian", 1),
("Keldon" , App.SPECIES_KELDON, "Cardassian", 1),
("CardHybrid", App.SPECIES_CARDHYBRID, "Cardassian", 1),
("KessokHeavy" , App.SPECIES_KESSOK_HEAVY, "Kessok", 1),
("KessokLight" , App.SPECIES_KESSOK_LIGHT, "Kessok", 1),
("Shuttle" , App.SPECIES_SHUTTLE, "Federation", 1),
("CardFreighter", "Cardassian Freighter" , App.SPECIES_CARDFREIGHTER, "Cardassian", 1),
("Freighter" , App.SPECIES_FREIGHTER, "Federation", 1),
("Transport" , App.SPECIES_TRANSPORT, "Federation", 1),
("SpaceFacility" , App.SPECIES_SPACE_FACILITY, "Federation", 1),
("CommArray" , App.SPECIES_COMMARRAY, "Federation", 1),
("CommLight", App.SPECIES_COMMLIGHT, "Cardassian", 1),
("DryDock" , App.SPECIES_DRYDOCK, "Federation", 1),
("Probe" , App.SPECIES_PROBE, "Federation", 1),
("Decoy" , App.SPECIES_PROBETYPE2, "Federation", 1),
("Sunbuster" , App.SPECIES_SUNBUSTER, "Kessok", 1),
("CardOutpost" , App.SPECIES_CARD_OUTPOST, "Cardassian", 1),
("CardStarbase" , App.SPECIES_CARD_STARBASE, "Cardassian", 1),
("CardStation" , App.SPECIES_CARD_STATION, "Cardassian", 1),
("FedOutpost" , App.SPECIES_FED_OUTPOST, "Federation", 1),
("FedStarbase" , App.SPECIES_FED_STARBASE, "Federation", 1),
("Asteroid" , App.SPECIES_ASTEROID, "Neutral", 1),
("Asteroid1" , App.SPECIES_ASTEROID, "Neutral", 1),
("Asteroid2" , App.SPECIES_ASTEROID, "Neutral", 1),
("Asteroid3" , App.SPECIES_ASTEROID, "Neutral", 1),
("Amagon", App.SPECIES_ASTEROID, "Cardassian", 1),
("BiranuStation", App.SPECIES_SPACE_FACILITY, "Neutral", 1),
("Enterprise", App.SPECIES_SOVEREIGN, "Federation", 1),
("Geronimo", App.SPECIES_AKIRA, "Federation", 1),
("Peregrine", App.SPECIES_NEBULA, "Federation", 1),
("Asteroidh1" , App.SPECIES_ASTEROID, "Neutral", 1),
("Asteroidh2" , App.SPECIES_ASTEROID, "Neutral", 1),
("Asteroidh3" , App.SPECIES_ASTEROID, "Neutral", 1),
("Escapepod" , App.SPECIES_ESCAPEPOD, "Neutral", 1),
("KessokMine" , App.SPECIES_KESSOKMINE, "Kessok", 1),
("NewShip", App.SPECIES_GALAXY, "Federation", 1),
(None, 0, "Neutral", 1))
# (The Order of this part above is important, but the App.SPECIES part isn't niether is the race part, just put what its closest too.)

def GetShipFromSpecies (iSpecies):
if (iSpecies <= 0 or iSpecies >= MAX_SHIPS):
# print ("Species out of range")
return None

pSpecTuple = kSpeciesTuple [iSpecies]
pcScript = pSpecTuple [0]

ShipScript = __import__("ships." + pcScript)
ShipScript.LoadModel ()
return ShipScript.GetShipStats ()

def GetScriptFromSpecies (iSpecies):
if (iSpecies <= 0 or iSpecies >= MAX_SHIPS):
return None

return pSpecTuple [0]

# This function is called from code to fill in the spec of
# an object that has been serialized over the net.
def InitObject (self, iType):
kStats = GetShipFromSpecies (iType)
if (kStats == None):
# Failed. Unknown type. Bail.
return 0

# Now that we have the stats, initialize the objects.
# Initialize the ship's model.
self.SetupModel (kStats['Name'])

# Load hardpoints.
pPropertySet = self.GetPropertySet()
mod = __import__("ships.Hardpoints." + kStats['HardpointFile'])

App.g_kModelPropertyManager.ClearLocalTemplates ()
reload (mod)

mod.LoadPropertySet(pPropertySet)

self.SetupProperties()

self.UpdateNodeOnly()

return 1

def CreateShip (iType):
# Get ship stats
kStats = GetShipFromSpecies (iType)

if (kStats == None):
# Failed. Unknown type. Bail.
return None

# print ("Creating " + kStats['Name'] + "\n")
pShip = App.ShipClass_Create (kStats['Name'])

sModule = "ships." + kSpeciesTuple [iType][0]
# print ("*** Setting script module " + sModule)
pShip.SetScript(sModule)

# Load hardpoints.
pPropertySet = pShip.GetPropertySet()
mod = __import__("ships.Hardpoints." + kStats['HardpointFile'])

App.g_kModelPropertyManager.ClearLocalTemplates ()
reload(mod)

mod.LoadPropertySet(pPropertySet)

pShip.SetupProperties()

pShip.UpdateNodeOnly()

pShip.SetNetType (iType)

return pShip

def GetIconNum (iSpecies):
iNum = pSpecTuple [1]

return iNum

def GetSideFromSpecies (iSpecies):
pcSide = pSpecTuple [2]

return pcSide

def GetClassFromSpecies (iSpecies):
iClass = pSpecTuple [3]

return iClass
#END OF FILE

I used my knowledge of how to edit this file with Speciestosystem.py and found that not all the systems work.......i figured Drydock and Starbase 12 wouldn't but systems like Belaruz, sort of work....people will join, and i will see their ship, but then they time out, one siad he got error 60 another siad it said Network Connection lost, and this is with version 1.0 and the clients have 1.0, oh well if anyone has any ideas let me know, hope my little explaination of what i know of Speciestoship.py helps someone.

"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine." - Obi Wan Kenobi - Star Wars (I think, lol, Confused )

Startrekfan821

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 02-26-2004 02:00 AM Post subject:

Oh, and this is alittle off topic, but How to you guys add all those pictures and stuff to your posts? I figured out how to do some stuff, like my quote Mr. Green but i dunno how to do some stuff, and back to the topic, in my edited py file above, DON'T use it as is, that newship entry was only an example and all those other things like astroids and stuff if people get them they will crash your server, etc. ok?

(BTW, hope my signature shows up right, lol)

Startrekfan821

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 02-26-2004 02:02 AM Post subject:

Whoa! it added my signature to some of my older posts......kool

jwattsjr

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Zodiac: Taurus

Post Posted: 02-26-2004 09:58 PM Post subject:

Since this is multiplayer specific, I'm inclined to leave it here, even though it deals with scripting. One tip for posting code... use the code tags. {code} and {/code} (replace { with [, and } with ]). Like so:
Code:

[code]
code goes here
[/code]

It'll preserve Python's indentation, which is very important.

Also, a warning about modfiying SpeciesToShip.py and SpeciesToSystem.py... These files will not cause a file mismatch, instead, the game will tell you that files don't match and ask you if you want to download the host's files. So, I'd recommend doing this in a separate install of BC set up just for this, and not joining any mp games but the one using your mods.

Thunder

Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Post Posted: 02-29-2004 08:35 PM Post subject:

This is how you get it working.

You need to add your new ship to the top of the second list.

Example

AMAGON = 35
BIRANUSTATION = 36
ENTERPRISE = 37
GERONIMO = 38
PEREGRINE = 39
ASTEROIDH1 = 40
ASTEROIDH2 = 41
ASTEROIDH3 = 42
ESCAPEPOD = 43
KESSOKMINE = 44
BORGCUBE = 45
NEWSHIP = 46
MAX_SHIPS = 47 #(Make sure this number is 1 higher than your last ship above)
MAX_FLYABLE_SHIPS = 46 #(this number controls how many ships down the list to display)

# Setup tuples
# (This is the list from in Multiplayer, where u add ships at here will be the order on the menu, and the max flyable ships will tell bc how many to show. Some of the entries will crash your game though, like don't pick an asteroid for a ship....)
kSpeciesTuple = (
(None, 0, "Neutral", 0),
("NEW SHIP", App.SPECIES_GALAXY, "Federation", 1),
("Akira", App.SPECIES_AKIRA, "Federation", 1),
("Ambassador", App.SPECIES_AMBASSADOR, "Federation", 1),
("Galaxy", App.SPECIES_GALAXY, "Federation", 1),
("Nebula" , App.SPECIES_NEBULA, "Federation", 1),
("Sovereign" , App.SPECIES_SOVEREIGN, "Federation", 1),
("BirdOfPrey", App.SPECIES_BIRD_OF_PREY, "Klingon", 1),
("Vorcha" , App.SPECIES_VORCHA, "Klingon", 1),
("Warbird" , App.SPECIES_WARBIRD, "Romulan", 1),
("Marauder" , App.SPECIES_MARAUDER, "Ferengi", 1),
("Galor" , App.SPECIES_GALOR, "Cardassian", 1),
("Keldon" , App.SPECIES_KELDON, "Cardassian", 1),
("CardHybrid", App.SPECIES_CARDHYBRID, "Cardassian", 1),
("KessokHeavy" , App.SPECIES_KESSOK_HEAVY, "Kessok", 1),
("KessokLight" , App.SPECIES_KESSOK_LIGHT, "Kessok", 1),
("Shuttle" , App.SPECIES_SHUTTLE, "Federation", 1),
("CardFreighter", "Cardassian Freighter" , App.SPECIES_CARDFREIGHTER, "Cardassian", 1),
("Freighter" , App.SPECIES_FREIGHTER, "Federation", 1),
("Transport" , App.SPECIES_TRANSPORT, "Federation", 1),
("SpaceFacility" , App.SPECIES_SPACE_FACILITY, "Federation", 1),
("CommArray" , App.SPECIES_COMMARRAY, "Federation", 1),
("CommLight", App.SPECIES_COMMLIGHT, "Cardassian", 1),
("DryDock" , App.SPECIES_DRYDOCK, "Federation", 1),
("Probe" , App.SPECIES_PROBE, "Federation", 1),
("Decoy" , App.SPECIES_PROBETYPE2, "Federation", 1),
("Sunbuster" , App.SPECIES_SUNBUSTER, "Kessok", 1),
("CardOutpost" , App.SPECIES_CARD_OUTPOST, "Cardassian", 1),
("CardStarbase" , App.SPECIES_CARD_STARBASE, "Cardassian", 1),
("CardStation" , App.SPECIES_CARD_STATION, "Cardassian", 1),
("FedOutpost" , App.SPECIES_FED_OUTPOST, "Federation", 1),
("FedStarbase" , App.SPECIES_FED_STARBASE, "Federation", 1),
("Asteroid" , App.SPECIES_ASTEROID, "Neutral", 1),
("Asteroid1" , App.SPECIES_ASTEROID, "Neutral", 1),
("Asteroid2" , App.SPECIES_ASTEROID, "Neutral", 1),
("Asteroid3" , App.SPECIES_ASTEROID, "Neutral", 1),
("Amagon", App.SPECIES_ASTEROID, "Cardassian", 1),
("BiranuStation", App.SPECIES_SPACE_FACILITY, "Neutral", 1),
("Enterprise", App.SPECIES_SOVEREIGN, "Federation", 1),
("Geronimo", App.SPECIES_AKIRA, "Federation", 1),
("Peregrine", App.SPECIES_NEBULA, "Federation", 1),
("Asteroidh1" , App.SPECIES_ASTEROID, "Neutral", 1),
("Asteroidh2" , App.SPECIES_ASTEROID, "Neutral", 1),
("Asteroidh3" , App.SPECIES_ASTEROID, "Neutral", 1),
("Escapepod" , App.SPECIES_ESCAPEPOD, "Neutral", 1),
("KessokMine" , App.SPECIES_KESSOKMINE, "Kessok", 1),
(None, 0, "Neutral", 1))

Make sure its at the top of the second list or it wont work.

Thunder

Startrekfan821

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 03-02-2004 07:36 AM Post subject:

Well actually it doesn't have to be at the top in the second list, where the ships are on the list is the order they show in the selection screen, such as if you add the new ship at the bottom of the stock ships then increase the number MAX_FLYABLE_SHIPS = up by one to compensate for the new ship then your new ship will work, put simply, the second list is the order and each entry for the ships on the multiplayer list and MAX_FLYABLE_SHIPS determenes how far down the list to show ships. if someone still doesn't get what i mean i can elaborate, this is one of the few thing i have figured out, to make it simple you can just put it at the top and increase the flyable ships number by one, but to be accurate it doesn't HAVE to be at the top.........(oh this is complicated) lol

Thunder

Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Post Posted: 03-02-2004 07:49 AM Post subject:

i need help with the names of the ships now.

tooie32

Commodore
Commodore

Zodiac: Cancer

Post Posted: 03-14-2004 05:05 AM Post subject:

Hey guys I would like to ad somthing to this tread also when I happen to join a game I keep geting disconnected because the file wasn't the same for example akira .py once I get disconnected from joining the message whould say file dosn't match with the hosts file Akira.py. I keep on ghetting that but its not just the akir.py but other files also but I get this every time I join but when I host no one woun't join my game.

USS Phoenix

BCU Mod Team
BCU Mod Team

Post Posted: 03-14-2004 09:57 PM Post subject:

Do yopu have modded HPs in your game?

tooie32

Commodore
Commodore

Zodiac: Cancer

Post Posted: 03-15-2004 07:12 AM Post subject:

not all of them most of them were replacment from the older ships.

USS Phoenix

BCU Mod Team
BCU Mod Team

Post Posted: 03-15-2004 04:08 PM Post subject:

Well, to play online ALL your HPs have to match exactly to the host or those joining you. It's best to have two installs, one fr mids and one for multiplayer.

Startrekfan821

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 05-23-2004 07:21 AM Post subject:

Hi, lol, sorry I've not been back fer a while but I've been busy, lol, then distracted, and kinda forgot about this, lol, I've learnt some more about multiplayer modding, lol, I can now for the most part successfully get different ships in multiplayer, however its actually just a new hardpoint file for any of the exsisting models, I have to say, I have 3 tools that make rehardpointing alot easier, first, lol, of course the model editor in the sdk, even though it likes to crash occasionally for no appernt reason, but I found a tgl editor on here, which is useful for editing a tgl file to put in the multiplayer folder for updated descriptions, and the newest and best time saving and headache saving tool ever, lol, tactical Display editor, this lovely tool lets you create those little displays with fireing arcs with ease, no more guessing numbers, lol, I'd rather not divulge how to do some of this stuff because, 1. used wrong, it can totally messup bc, it can be easily rectified, if you know what to do, but it will mess up the client's bc and they may not know what to do, additionally, it could be used improperly to cheat within the game, etc. But, if you are on bc, you might like to come check out my game, I'm in a clan on bridge commander, so my game will have somethinf to the effect of 'CU Space' in it, but I'm currently working on making the stock ships accurate to the spec according to the shows, etc. I'm trying to balance them out, and make them accurate as I can, I'm currently using 1.0 version of bc as the test ground but I intend to use it in 1.1 too, which it should work with no problem, and maybe even making some kinda quickbattle and/or multiplayer mod of it to put up on somewhere, but it will take some time, and I'm not redoing the kessock because I have no basis to compare them with since they weren't on any shows...... and just so you know, the tgl editor and sdk are on bcfiles.com, and the tde editor is on filefront.
Well, thats all I'm typing for now, lol, going to other things, aka, just got star trek armada, time to try it, Mr. Green

Later all, Nathan

Edit: Oh, btw, I've dicovered, that the fedstarbase on the species to ship, must be 31st on the second list if you want other people to see a fedstarbase in defend the starbase on multiplayer, cuz the host sees the starbase right, but clients see whatever ship is 31st on the second list, now i dunno this may not apply to the mods, like 1.2 etc., but its in 1.0 and 1.1 where i discovered this.

foolio64

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 07-05-2004 02:57 AM Post subject: Still having difficulties, despite all the explanations

Ok,
I've edited the SpeciesToShip.py as directed in the topic, but I still can't get it to display new ships/models when I get in multiplayer.
At first, all I did was edit the SpeciesToShip.py so that the MAX_FLYABLE_SHIPS was 45. I did that just to check if the editing was having any effect, and it did, it made all the ships available in multiplayer.

The problem arose when I tried to add new ships to the lists however. I added the ship name straight off the .py/.pyc files in C:\Program Files\Activision\Bridge Commander\scripts\ships , increased the number next to the ship by 1 from the BorgCube, increased the MAX_SHIPS by 1, and increased the MAX_FLYABLE_SHIPS by 1.
The end of that list now looked like this;
KESSOKMINE = 44
BORGCUBE = 45
DEFIANT = 46
MAX_SHIPS = 47
MAX_FLYABLE_SHIPS = 46

Then i proceeded to add the ship to the line after;
I wrote it out just like this,
("Defiant", App.SPECIES_DEFIANT, "Federation", 1),

Then I saved the file, and tried to start up BC. Multiplayer looked like it was working fine, it let me set up the kind of game I wanted and everything, but then when I hit "Start" it showed the loading screen.....said logging on, all the sort of stuff just like usual. (Btw, I'm just doing this as a test, so I'm hosting, no one else is joining) Then it finishes the loading screen as if it was going to go on to the Ship/Map selection, but the screen is just black. I can see the mouse pointer, and the BC music is playing in the background....but it never loads the screen, everything is black but the mouse, and there's nothing to click on, even when I just click blindly.

Does anyone know what I've done wrong, or how to help me?

Thanks!

WraithZero

Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

Post Posted: 07-05-2004 03:59 AM Post subject:

I suffer from the same problem. The difference after readin all the above, I added it from the top, above 31 rather than at the bottom

MLeo

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Zodiac: Aquarius

Post Posted: 07-05-2004 09:48 AM Post subject:

What makes you think there is a variable in App.py(c) called SPECIES_DEFIANT?

You have to replace that with it's own, unique, number.

How to beat the Black Screen Of Death and Script problems Also handles Console/Screen/Error report/dump.
BC Technical FAQ [Last updated 26/12/2005]
"Trust me, I'm a con artist" - Moist von Lipwig, "Going Postal, Discworld"

foolio64

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 07-06-2004 02:23 AM Post subject:

MLeoDaalder wrote:
What makes you think there is a variable in App.py(c) called SPECIES_DEFIANT?

You have to replace that with it's own, unique, number.

Sorry to sound like a n00b, but I am completely new at this... Embarassed

What do you mean by own unique number? I have to replace SPECIES_DEFIANT with a number? Which part, the entire fragment, or just DEFIANT? I'm sorry I don't understand.... Sad

Startrekfan821

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 07-06-2004 07:20 AM Post subject:

you need to add it as Species_sovereign or something one of the stock classes

MLeo

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Zodiac: Aquarius

Post Posted: 07-06-2004 10:01 AM Post subject:

Well, look here for a better example of what I mean:
http://dynamic3.gamespy.com/~bridgecommander/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=14109

How to beat the Black Screen Of Death and Script problems Also handles Console/Screen/Error report/dump.
BC Technical FAQ [Last updated 26/12/2005]
"Trust me, I'm a con artist" - Moist von Lipwig, "Going Postal, Discworld"

Startrekfan821

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 07-09-2004 08:50 AM Post subject:

ok, you added the defaint like this u said:

("Defaint" , App.SPECIES_DEFAINT, "Federation", 1),

well, see, bc doesn't recognize the App.SPECIES_DEFAINT
because it wasn't in the game, try this:

("Defaint" , App.SPECIES_AKIRA, "Federation", 1),

ya, i know its not an akira but oh well.....

WraithZero

Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

Post Posted: 07-12-2004 05:47 AM Post subject:

Ok. I've done all the above, and even got the information from the web address. The menu does indeed load and I know longer get the black screen. I select the ship that I made avail in mp, but when I hit start, the screen goes black with just the BC cursor symbol. I can click anywhere on the screen and the cursor disappears, and I can push F1-F4 and get menu items. F5 however crashes the game. I'm not using mpmp, or qbr. Confused

Is every ship avail for multiplayer? Confused

Startrekfan821

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 07-13-2004 05:20 AM Post subject:

Might be the ship itself now.... I used notpad to edit 1 thing on a ship and hit another key and didn't realize it, and then whenever i picked the ship it went to black, but not on others, does yours go black on that one ship? or all of em? that will most likey tell whether its the ship itself or still the menu......

Startrekfan821

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 07-13-2004 05:20 AM Post subject:

Might be the ship itself now.... I used notpad to edit 1 thing on a ship and hit another key and didn't realize it, and then whenever i picked the ship it went to black, but not on others, does yours go black on that one ship? or all of em? that will most likey tell whether its the ship itself or still the menu......