BCU main page Bridge Commander Universe
...welcome to the new world.

FAQFAQ  RanksRanks  RulesRules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Staff SiteStaff Site    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why is warez wrong? Do you have a few days?.........
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bridge Commander Universe Forum Index -> Forum Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Viper

Darth Viperus
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Zodiac: Libra

Post Posted: 08-14-2004 03:18 AM Post subject:

do we have any legal people on staff? I am semi- knowledgeable in legal matters, but this is way beyond my scope. I stick to law enforcement legallese.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

TeraByte

Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Post Posted: 08-15-2004 01:10 PM Post subject:

GhostOfThePast wrote:
Funny part is 90% of the people here who say they don't use warez are f**kin bold faced liars. They just don't want to admit it.

OK, I'll admit it ... I do dabble in warez. The reason I do it, however, is because I enjoy testing the security of programs (and even computers and networks, if possible). I'm a very security-minded person, and I always like to find out exactly how 'secure' computer security is these days.

My 'research' is basically to see how security can be improved, and maybe even implementing my ideas into my programs once I am confident that I can program with reasonable accuracy and reliability. I don't do this specifically to screw anyone out of money (although I do agree that far too many companies have become excessively greedy). In fact, I do my best to support every program I use whenever I am financially able to (I am only 15, so I can't really afford to buy anything out of my own money yet).

My conclusion is this: If companies want to complain about warez and hacking, then they should implement better security into their programs. Also, I encourage all people who like a particular program to purchase it, as programmers do indeed bust their butts to create decent programs and recieve comparatively small pay for doing it. And to all corporate executives who think they can get away with so-called 'cheap labour':

Your day will come. And it will come sooner than you think.

Click Here to Visit My Website!

I'm a man of few words...... any questions?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

M@DM@X

Commander
Commander

Post Posted: 08-15-2004 09:53 PM Post subject:

damn guys, life is too short to keep arguing over this subject. for everyone to point there views out on it would take forever

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Zodiac: Taurus

Post Posted: 08-16-2004 12:44 AM Post subject:

(Eternal Visitor) wrote:
I have a question about all of this.

what if someone is using a time limited shareware program "past" its expire date by setting his computer clock back so that the program thinks it's not time to expire yet?

(I am not doing this, I'm just asking. please don't hurt me.)

You would be violating the EULA, unless of course your computer has the ability to actually turn back time..........

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Bridge Commander Universe
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 08-16-2004 12:50 AM Post subject:

madmax3000 wrote:
damn guys, life is too short to keep arguing over this subject. for everyone to point there views out on it would take forever

Yes, well, the life of this thread shows that quite a few people use Warez. Warez use is like pot use........it is perceived as a minor thing, and most dont take it's use seriously. However, get caught with it and see what happens to you.

Look guys, you can do anything you want to a program after you buy it. It is your property, and as long as you do not distribute what you have done, that is that. Do what you may, as long as you pay for it. There are plenty of reasonable alternatives out there. Besides, having the actual program disk, box, etc allows you to sell the program later if you desire to do so, or collect the item, like I do with Star Trek games.

But, if you go into a store and remove the magnetic strip from an item so that you can walk out with it, isnt that stealing?

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Viper

Darth Viperus
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Posted: 08-16-2004 03:28 AM Post subject:

that depends, if you own the store....

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

David999

Graphic Artist
BCU Mod Team
BCU Mod Team

Zodiac: Leo

Post Posted: 08-16-2004 11:00 AM Post subject:

dah!

M@DM@X

Commander
Commander

Post Posted: 08-16-2004 03:50 PM Post subject:

Raven Night wrote:
madmax3000 wrote:

Yes, well, the life of this thread shows that quite a few people use Warez. Warez use is like pot use........it is perceived as a minor thing, and most dont take it's use seriously. However, get caught with it and see what happens to you.

Look guys, you can do anything you want to a program after you buy it. It is your property, and as long as you do not distribute what you have done, that is that. Do what you may, as long as you pay for it. There are plenty of reasonable alternatives out there. Besides, having the actual program disk, box, etc allows you to sell the program later if you desire to do so, or collect the item, like I do with Star Trek games.

But, if you go into a store and remove the magnetic strip from an item so that you can walk out with it, isnt that stealing?

the part int here where you say "you can do anythng you want to a program after you buy it" is compleatly wrong. if it was we would be able to crack opan the exe for bc if that was true, or microsoft wouldnt be able to only let us use our fully valid and legal cd key for windows xp a set number of times b4 it is useless but i have to ring them up to get that activated now. and that is a right kick in the theeth!!

Matsch-Klon

DabwI' tlhIngan loD - resident Klingon guy
yo' 'aj
yo' 'aj

Zodiac: Aries

Post Posted: 08-16-2004 03:54 PM Post subject:

I thought, when you buy a program, you actually just buy the license to use it and you get a CD (or whatever), to have the opportunity to do so. But you may only use the program, as it is explained in every EULA (I think), you must not edit exes and dlls and stuff like that.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 08-16-2004 07:04 PM Post subject:

LOL

First, there is no law against personal misuse of the program, as long as you are not attempting to subvert copyright measure. How else do you think companies reverse engineer programs and games to see how they work?

You have the same rule in the fine print on your car. How often to you violate it by giving the car an oil change?

I was indicating that Warez is illegal, making personal modifications for your own use is not. Though it may violate the EULA, who is going to know it is a violation if A: you never show examples of what you have done and B: you do not cause any financial loss to the company.

I am worried about warez. I am not worried about modifications. As long as they are not distributed.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Brett008

Commander
Commander

Post Posted: 08-17-2004 07:24 AM Post subject:

Meh taping tv shows etc on VHS is illegal but every does it on daily basis.

Dunno what my point is lol

Pegasus

Resident Irishman
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Zodiac: Aquarius

Post Posted: 08-17-2004 02:07 PM Post subject:

Just that there are different degree of infringement?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Sim Rex

Zodiac: Capricorn

Post Posted: 08-17-2004 02:20 PM Post subject:

Brett008 wrote:
Meh taping tv shows etc on VHS is illegal but every does it on daily basis.

I'm not sure about internationally, but in the UK, it's legal so long as you only keep it for a short while... I can't remember the exact figure, but I think it's about 3 weeks... But yes, it's never actually enforced...

If people started trading home-recorded tapes for profit on here, though, I suspect that would be disallowed.

-- The Fallen Angel - Iron Maiden(Smith/Harris)

For beginner scripters - The BCU Mission Scripting Lessons

Brett008

Commander
Commander

Post Posted: 08-17-2004 05:29 PM Post subject:

Yeah I know it would. Its no different to discussing any other illegal stuff on the forum. It was just another example of a law thats not enforced, well if it is we dont hear about it.

Mark

Co-Founder, 3rd Era
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 08-18-2004 03:04 AM Post subject:

1 week then u must record over it or throw it away lol.

lets follow the law to the letter ppl.. now whos gonna come and shoot a welshman with a crossbow at midday Razz

starforce2

BCU Intersite Relations Director

Post Posted: 08-19-2004 05:52 AM Post subject:

that's why I can't see how people get so upset over, say downloading music or tv episodes. If I can watch/listen and record them for free off my tv or stereo, I don't see why I cannot do so digitally. It makes no sense.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 08-19-2004 07:37 AM Post subject:

Again, I have personal feelings on that with respect to freely distributed music and shows, tv movies, etc, ESPECIALLY if they are not digital quality, but it would not be appropriate for me to share that opinion with you guys in this setting.

All I can say is our stance with respect to all SOFTWARE or COPYRIGHTED material. Unless you are somehow supported by licence, any posting containing material of this sort, discussions that will lead to the aquisition of or requests pertaining to same is not allowed here. We must have a zero tolerance policy on this issue, and it must be strictly enforced.

Again, what you do in your private home is your business. If it violates our policy, however, you should not discuss it here.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

MLeo

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Zodiac: Aquarius

Post Posted: 08-19-2004 02:36 PM Post subject:

Viper Leader wrote:
that depends, if you own the store....

Then you (usually) paid for it already.

How to beat the Black Screen Of Death and Script problems Also handles Console/Screen/Error report/dump.
BC Technical FAQ [Last updated 26/12/2005]
"Trust me, I'm a con artist" - Moist von Lipwig, "Going Postal, Discworld"

Dero

Ensign
Ensign

Post Posted: 01-13-2006 12:09 PM Post subject:

I am just curious; isn't releasing trekmusic also illegall?
The far as I know it's copyrighted aswell!
Or am I wrong?

Edit: Next question, is it illegal to release the intros from StarTrekSeasons or using scenes from TV for use with BC?