BCU main page Bridge Commander Universe
...welcome to the new world.

FAQFAQ  RanksRanks  RulesRules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Staff SiteStaff Site    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UFOP Hull Design Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bridge Commander Universe Forum Index -> BC2 Project
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Historypro77

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Zodiac: Leo

Post Posted: 03-25-2006 12:12 PM Post subject: UFOP Hull Design Discussion

I know I'm not a forum poster, but I do follow this mod by looking at all the concepts on Raven's sight as well as looking at the pictures of most of your developing models on this forum. My personal opinion is, AS A GENERAL STATEMENT, that the majority of your UFOP Designs have a lack of a primary and secondary hull, as well as a lack of thickness to it. These ships have what I call the "flying saucer with nacelles" design. I can't change the models you have already created, but you need to think about what I have said. I know this is into the future past the Star Trek Voyager generation, but UFOP ships have always had a primary and secondary hull, to avoid the "flying saucer with nacelles" design. I know they have gotten more linear and more combined, for example the Sovereign, and Steamrunner classes. But I think that you should look to the past, and stick to the roots, instead of creating your own new radical design. Let the arguments begin!

Nebula

CA/KM/BCS:TC Mod Team Member

Zodiac: Gemini

Post Posted: 03-25-2006 06:12 PM Post subject:

I disagree with that... I say let Raven make them what he wants them to be.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Atlantis

Cold Front
Centurion
Centurion

Post Posted: 03-25-2006 06:18 PM Post subject:

Raven's designs, although not sticking 100% with the "original" style, are progressions forward from that background. The Akira, Sabre, and Steamrunner classes show that the UFOP is going away from the 'traditional' style. Raven's designs are showing a branch of this, following the established lineage.
Also, originality has to be a good point too. Raven's designs do show roots, but are also original. Not racidally diverse from the canon designs, but enough so they're not like designs we've seen a million times before.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

Armondikov

Tan tan ta ra, tzing boom!

Zodiac: Cancer

Post Posted: 03-25-2006 06:40 PM Post subject:

They are lacking in that basic idea. But we're talking combat ships that are a bit further down the line than normal TNG ships. Hence, we're talking Defiant styled ships. I know there's the Odin which is essentially a battle refit of a Sovereign that follows the usual trend. But to be frank, Raven's two hulled designs aren't as good as the more compact ones. Overall it's a style thing that a lot of people have warmed to a bit.

Historypro77

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Zodiac: Leo

Post Posted: 03-25-2006 09:46 PM Post subject:

Ok, I understand about his new designs, but I still think they need to be thicker, have more decks. I'd still like a post from the man himself though.

Armondikov

Post Posted: 03-25-2006 11:00 PM Post subject:

He pops around occaisionally.

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Zodiac: Taurus

Post Posted: 03-27-2006 11:41 AM Post subject:

Well, I dont necessarilly disaggree with you on a general point...your right, feds have a tradition. That tradition is the spoon and two forks...

The problem is as such...my spoon and two forks, well, they stink for the most part. I'm just not that kind of designer. I even considered bringing someone else in to help. Now, my single hull designs are much better.

Either my skills in fed design will improve, I will concentrate on single hulls and stay away from spoon and two forks, or my head will burst into flame....

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Bridge Commander Universe
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Armondikov

Post Posted: 03-27-2006 02:14 PM Post subject:

Hmm... tough choice. But the manly way to go would be spontaneous combustion.

Atlantis

Cold Front
Centurion
Centurion

Post Posted: 03-27-2006 03:46 PM Post subject:

Hmm, although spontaneous combustion is always entertaining (i speak from experience), i agree with Raven's choice to stick with his own style. That's what i do. He follows UFOP design lineage, but keeps his own design style present. It might not be 100% accurate to canon in everyone's eyes, but you've gotta admit it's kinda artistic :-)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

Armondikov

Post Posted: 03-27-2006 03:51 PM Post subject:

Artistic and also militaristic, you have to consider changing these ship designs if they're going to be used primarily for combat.