BCU main page Bridge Commander Universe
...welcome to the new world.

FAQFAQ  RanksRanks  RulesRules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Staff SiteStaff Site    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boycott of Filefront due to Gamingfiles forum practices.....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bridge Commander Universe Forum Index -> Forum Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Zodiac: Taurus

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 12:22 AM Post subject: Boycott of Filefront due to Gamingfiles forum practices.....

As of this date, all Nightsoft owned products will be pulled from Filefront sites. This includes NanoFX, and all models designed for BC2. This will remain in place until such time as Gamingfiles relents on thier assault against our site.

I ask that all developers refrain from posting pictures or downloads of future Nightsoft products on thier boards or sites until this matter is resolved.

I am not asking for you to stop using thier forums.

Thank you for your cooperation.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Bridge Commander Universe
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

MSpencer1313

Commander
Commander

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 12:52 AM Post subject:

What seems to be the problem?

If we must fight a war, we must always accept the idea of peace.
Silent enim leges inter arma.

DamoclesX

Graphics Artist
BCU Mod Team
BCU Mod Team

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 01:36 AM Post subject:

I think I suggested a total boycot of that site what? 2 years ago....

*shakes head*

Jason Blaz
Graphics Artist and 3D Modeler

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 03:08 AM Post subject:

I am not suggesting a full boycott, I just see that there are at least 15 ongoing threads on thier forums that deal with Nightsoft property, yet they are restricting mention of the originating company or it's boards. This is a violation of our EULA, and therefore we are mandated to pull the products until such time as they relent. They have no right to benefit from our products, make money off of advertisting, and restrict mention of our company or our sites.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

starforce2

BCU Intersite Relations Director

Zodiac: Libra

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 03:11 AM Post subject:

We have gamingfiles forums being anti-BCU. Censoring and warnign people for providing links. Thetook out several posts to temporary BCU forums during the outage. Pro-filer, who runs all of the filesnetwork, supports me but they are blowing me off. I've mailed raven to see if he really wants to do this, but we'll see. I'll be releasing something on the matter soon.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

DamoclesX

Graphics Artist
BCU Mod Team
BCU Mod Team

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 04:09 AM Post subject:

How about a big grow the fck up?

Do any of you see how massivly pathetic it is to have FORUM wars???? seriously....

Raven, I used to be against you buying up stuff, but now.... I think you should buy all these sites up, merge them, and end all this pathetic crap once and for all.

Jason Blaz
Graphics Artist and 3D Modeler

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 04:32 AM Post subject:

I really dont want to do this. I am almost required to, because technically the products are not allowed on sites that gain money from advertising without our permission AND a listing of our sites. This is a move that splits the community instead of uniting it, which I am dead set against.

But this forum has nothing to fear from us. We are a focused forum that deals with a few homegrown products and BCU. It would be like removing a link to SOE or Activision even though you have a forum for thier product. They are wrong to do so, and they know it.

I have asked Starforce to begin preparations to put this in motion, and it is my hope this is resolved before we have to do this.

As you know, we have always allowed anyone to advertise here. We have even promoted other sites.....we are not competing with anyone. Nor do we want to. We have a huge membership that continues to grow, and the closer we get to BC2, the higher the patronage with rise....but that is not the purpose of this site.

The purpose is to show the world what can be done when the best talent in the world gets together and decides to stop saying "why?" and instead says "why not?". That is BC2.

That is Nightsoft.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

starforce2

BCU Intersite Relations Director

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 06:03 AM Post subject:

I just recieved a PM warning for giveng someone a link to BCU. He asked where all the real modders were, I told him. I have a screenshot of the warning PM from one of the staff, and you know what's funny? He's advirtising in his sig for George Bush. Now, I don't care what canadate he is for or against, just the sheer fact that he is allowed to post a political ad in his sig, but a member cannot post an add in his sig for BCU, which is about gaming, which is what their forum is about (their primary purpose in not politics, it's gaming) is completely hypocritical. It goes to show where their priorities are. I took a screen cap and will post that with a letter I intend to send to their PM deparment, edited for this new update. I'll giev the address so we can all express our feelings to them. Who'd else would like to help by sending an email? Speak up guys..

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

JimmyB76

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Zodiac: Leo

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 06:31 AM Post subject:

count me in.... i know exactly the thread youre talking about SF... in fact, i was gonna post a link over here in my response to that guy's question about "where all the good modders are" (instead i just asked him if he had even been over here)... guess its a good thing i didn't... either way, i'm personally all set with GF...
not to mention that i started posting there quite regularly several months ago in various forums (mostly their version of what our r & r and spam forums are) and noticed that the people there including the staff have no problems tossing around the words like "queer", "fag", and any other anti-gay remarks one could possible imagine; used quite viciously to attack each other, even if in what they consider all in good fun... and if i posted anything in protest, i would get bashed for it (even by the staff)... didn't sit well with me, so i had since kept to posting in the BC section only...
either way, especially now, i'm all set with GF... screw them, IMO, they seem like a bunch of immature kids...

Victor1st

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 07:35 AM Post subject:

The Star Trek Gamers Directory is in full support of Raven and the boycott of filers.

...and ya made the front page news...lol http://www.trek-gamers.com

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 10:33 AM Post subject:

Victor1st wrote:
The Star Trek Gamers Directory is in full support of Raven and the boycott of filers.

...and ya made the front page news...lol http://www.trek-gamers.com

Thank you for your support in this Victor. You and I have the same goals, and thier behavior needs to be discouraged.

Unfortunately it is mainly Pro-Filer that will probably suffer from this, but I bet he understands. Now, more than ever, we need to work together. Power hungry boards or admins only hurt the community.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 10:35 AM Post subject:

starforce2 wrote:
I just recieved a PM warning for giveng someone a link to BCU. He asked where all the real modders were, I told him. I have a screenshot of the warning PM from one of the staff, and you know what's funny? He's advirtising in his sig for George Bush. Now, I don't care what canadate he is for or against, just the sheer fact that he is allowed to post a political ad in his sig, but a member cannot post an add in his sig for BCU, which is about gaming, which is what their forum is about (their primary purpose in not politics, it's gaming) is completely hypocritical. It goes to show where their priorities are. I took a screen cap and will post that with a letter I intend to send to their PM deparment, edited for this new update. I'll giev the address so we can all express our feelings to them. Who'd else would like to help by sending an email? Speak up guys..

Thank you for your support as well Starforce....just dont get yourself in trouble over this.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Viper

Darth Viperus
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 10:47 AM Post subject:

I'd support, but I have never posted anywhere but here. This is my home. People know me, and I can say what I want. I can post links I want, and I am not opressed by some guy who thinks he has the right to censor everyone based on his opinions. Its like having an anti-Bush pic in your sig. Its free speech.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 11:08 AM Post subject:

EXACTLY........the very spirit of this site is to promote the COMMUNITY, not BCU. It has never been about BCU. Anyone is free to advertise any site, as long as it does not violate our rules against obcenity and such. This is what I have fought for my entire career, this is what Victor, Chessmess and Pro-filer have attempted to accomplish, and I think they have done a great job. This place is a place to develop products for BC, either by Nightsoft or individuals....can anyone remember the last time I stopped someone from advertising their site here?

The community cannot be suppressed. This is detrimental to the development of the game, improvement of current products and mods for it, and in the case of Nightsoft is UNPROFITABLE.

We need to nurture talent, not supress it.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

TeraByte

Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 11:41 AM Post subject:

I support the boycott of this so-called "censorship" which is occuring at present.

Click Here to Visit My Website!

I'm a man of few words...... any questions?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Darkthunder

Admiral
Admiral

Zodiac: Aquarius

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 11:58 AM Post subject:

I agree with TeraByte and others on this thread. It is wrong to supress links that lead to gaming sites, but allow political ads such as "I support Bush" in the signature. I wholeheartedly support this boycott.

M@DM@X

Commander
Commander

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 12:29 PM Post subject:

i think this whole matter is rather stupid.
i support bcu and nightsoft to the fullest but hope everything gets sorted out soon

WaterTiger

Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 12:57 PM Post subject:

STGD -- Star Trek Gamers Directory has joined in the boycott.

http://www.stcd.sgnonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=55403&no=1#55403

Raven, in between our protests and petitions, I need to talk to you. I have a petition circulating for a new patch for SFC3 that can fix some non-source code 'stuff' for GSA players. I would like your support on that.

Starforce, I can't get the TeamSpeak from GPX without paying them, so BCU can use ours. Go ahead and advertise it, I don't care anymore. I'll set up a place for BCU in the TS. You have the IP?

And Raven, I must talk to you about world domination of Trek soon. When are you free? Razz

Star Trek: The First Contact: "We've made too many compromises already. They invade our space, and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds, and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn -- *here*. This far! No farther!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Pegasus

Resident Irishman
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 02:18 PM Post subject:

Well, I don't use them anyway/ So no loss on this end but I'll refrain from even going near the place. they're so far in the wrong with this one that they've blinded themselves.
they may aswell adopt a Swastica as their new emblum if they insist on keeping that policy.

WaterTiger

Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 02:31 PM Post subject:

Raven, should I have them pull down Unity at sfc3files.com? I have coverage at GameSpot, STGD, ZDNet, CNet .. no sweat off my nuts. Let me know.

Star Trek: The First Contact: "We've made too many compromises already. They invade our space, and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds, and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn -- *here*. This far! No farther!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Dragon

TERTIARY X-1
TERTIARY X-1

Zodiac: Capricorn

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 02:37 PM Post subject:

Im not sure where I stand on this. When I first read about this, I ignorantly thought that you were trying to assimilate everything Raven Razz . And I appologise, it just goes to show that you should read everything before you judge. But after reading this thead...It seems alot clearer.

However I would not agree with boycotting FilesNetwork as a whole, but I do understand that it is down to GF to make their decision. But one more thing that I feel I must point out...is that perhaps linking to another forum, negates the need for that forum to exist in the first place...and it causes alot of members to drift away. (This is probably GF's reasons)

I think I will remain neutral for the moment. I agree with your points Raven, but Im hoping that Gaming Forums modify their policies, to avoid a breakup of the community... Wink

Dragon

Torpedo Modding Guide
Shuttle Launching Guide

elminster

Commodore
Commodore

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 02:57 PM Post subject:

Ach, this is nuts.

I'm with you on this Raven.
With resources on both forums, cross references are inevitable, and deleting links is just plain stupid and childish.

I would think Pro is livid about this.

This is bad business as well as bad for the community, as both Companies lose out when the comunity is split and interest fades in the games.

Dominion Wars Mod Pack
http://dynamic3.gamespy.com/~bridgecommander/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=17601

WaterTiger

Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 02:59 PM Post subject:

Where Raven goes, the community goes. Raven and Starforce, I support you 100%.

raven, I'll ask them to pul Unity today from sfc3files.com. It's in the top 5 downloads and Mod Of the Week. Let me know if you need this kind of action, as I certainly would do it for you. There are many Nightsoft ships and even recent BC conversions from Nightsoft in the latest Unity 'Pirates'.

Let me know, bro.

gdluque

Collective Alliance Modder
Commodore
Commodore

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 03:25 PM Post subject:

elminster wrote:
Ach, this is nuts.

I would think Pro is livid about this.

This is bad business as well as bad for the community, as both Companies lose out when the comunity is split and interest fades in the games.

Im agree whit this guy. The rest is up to you...

WaterTiger

Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 03:33 PM Post subject:

Quote:
Re: Removal of Nightsoft products from BCFiles....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by Raven Night
We have instructed the Admin for BCFiles to remove all owned Nightsoft products from the site, including NanoFX and all BC2 models. This is due to the apparant censoring by this board of our company name, sites or EULA, which is a direct violation of the aformentioned EULA. There is no reason that we should allow Gaming Forums to benefit from the traffic that is created by Nightsoft products. This ban will remain in effect until such time as this forum reverses its policy with respect to advertising other forums and links.

http://www.gamingforums.com/showthread.php?t=157413

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause our patrons.After careful consideration on our part, we have allowed a special exception to our no-advertising rules for the bridge commander forums we have here on gamingforums.com

As long as it's related to anything star trek: bridge commander, it will be allowed.

Just posted 12 minutes ago.

You win Raven!

Whoopie!

Dragon

TERTIARY X-1
TERTIARY X-1

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 03:47 PM Post subject:

Quote:
You win Raven!

Im sorry, but assuming that someone has won is not a good thing to say. Both Filefront and Nightsoft have their reasons...and the bigger person is the one who is willing to admit mistakes and make changes...No-one gains bragging rights from this...so please do not turn this into some contest...It is not the right thing to say...

But I am glad this issue is resolved...(its a shame that a decision could not have been made before this was made public really...but its good news...hopefully)

Dragon Mr. Green

Torpedo Modding Guide
Shuttle Launching Guide

Pegasus

Resident Irishman
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 03:47 PM Post subject:

w00t... VICTORY IS OURS!!!!!!!! LET'S PARTY!!!

Too Happy Band clap2 Bounce

Sorry, I don't usualy indulge myself like that but the situation called for it Wink

WaterTiger

Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 04:00 PM Post subject:

Dragon_UK wrote:
Quote:
You win Raven!

Im sorry, but assuming that someone has won is not a good thing to say. Both Filefront and Nightsoft have their reasons...and the bigger person is the one who is willing to admit mistakes and make changes...No-one gains bragging rights from this...so please do not turn this into some contest...It is not the right thing to say...

But I am glad this issue is resolved...(its a shame that a decision could not have been made before this was made public really...but its good news...hopefully)

Dragon Mr. Green

You are correct, Dragon. Bad choice of words.

Micheal_Yar

Commander
Commander

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 04:00 PM Post subject:

You have won raven i heard that from watertiger

Dragon

TERTIARY X-1
TERTIARY X-1

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 04:09 PM Post subject:

WaterTiger wrote:
Dragon_UK wrote:
Quote:
You win Raven!

Dragon Mr. Green

You are correct, Dragon. Bad choice of words.

No problem...I just thought that GF deserve some respect...But its good news! Thats all that matters Mr. Green

Torpedo Modding Guide
Shuttle Launching Guide