BCU main page Bridge Commander Universe
...welcome to the new world.

FAQFAQ  RanksRanks  RulesRules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Staff SiteStaff Site    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Milkshape 3D bridges
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bridge Commander Universe Forum Index -> BC Bridge Modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  

sammboy125

BC addict scince last time I played
Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

Post Posted: 06-01-2004 12:36 AM Post subject: Milkshape 3D bridges

I'm working on a hacked version of the MS3D exporter to allow for bridge lightmap exporting. Would anyone else have use for this?

And for you doubters: I've already been able to export bridges, but the lightmaps aren't working, that's the only thing wrong.

If anyone has a program to just change the lightmap files in the .NIF itself, then you can export bridges already. If anyone has a program like that, I sure could use it! Thanks!

Makotokat

Resident Doodler and Bridge Sweeper
Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Zodiac: Scorpio

Post Posted: 06-01-2004 01:13 AM Post subject:

Not on topic.....I tried the NIF importer with milkshape and what I got looked like garbage, everything on weird angles.....is that normal?

Post Posted: 06-01-2004 03:06 AM Post subject:

If you try to import a stock bridge, it'll crash. If you try with a custom made one, yes, you'll get a bunch of junk.

And no, there's no way to add the LM to a nif after it's exported.. that would require to manually edit the nif file, and noone did tried that because the max plugin does work fine with lightmaps.

Replying your question, i'm not sure if people would make a lot of use of a milkshape bridge exporter... not that it isn't a good thing, it's just because only 4-5 people in the community actually exported a bridge to game (I and Viper included), and we all use max.

Cpt.

Makotokat

Resident Doodler and Bridge Sweeper
Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Zodiac: Scorpio

Post Posted: 06-01-2004 03:10 AM Post subject:

Where do I get the max plugin, I haven't seen it anywhere

sammboy125

BC addict scince last time I played
Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

Post Posted: 06-01-2004 04:00 AM Post subject:

I've made bridges before, I just couldn't get them to show right in-game. It's rather easy for those who've modded before.

Any rate, are there any FREE programs you can use the MAX plugin with? Rolling Eyes

Post Posted: 06-01-2004 10:41 AM Post subject:

sammboy125 wrote:
I've made bridges before, I just couldn't get them to show right in-game. It's rather easy for those who've modded before.

Any rate, are there any FREE programs you can use the MAX plugin with? Rolling Eyes

No. Max plugin, as the name suggests, is only for max, and only for version 3.

Cpt

sneaker98

Staff Administrator
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator

Zodiac: Gemini

Post Posted: 06-01-2004 08:55 PM Post subject:

*edit*

My apologies, I assumed that you used the term "hacked" term in the old sense. After SimRex brought the point to me, ive removed the warning. The thread is now unlocked.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

Realityforgotten

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 03-25-2006 04:17 PM Post subject:

You can always get the pandsoft plug in for max and then export it into an .x file (directx) import it in to milkshape and then export it to what ever format you need. also have tried using 3DWS? (3D World Studio)
This program exports to the following ext's

.b3d
.x
.dbo
.txt
,fy
.map (halflife/torque)
.wmp

This is a sufficient list of formats. and from milkshape there is about 2 dozen more to import and export from. This program also doubles up with Cartography shop4 or .csm files. I'm a level designer utilising the Torque, FPSC, and RealmCraftor engines so I get to see the wide variety of formats and lightmap issues. So if anyone doubts my capabilities here is a link to my forum and to my personal work thread.

TheBorken level design WIP

MLeo

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Zodiac: Aquarius

Post Posted: 03-25-2006 04:20 PM Post subject:

But does it import a modified NIF (.nif) format?

How to beat the Black Screen Of Death and Script problems Also handles Console/Screen/Error report/dump.
BC Technical FAQ [Last updated 26/12/2005]
"Trust me, I'm a con artist" - Moist von Lipwig, "Going Postal, Discworld"

Darkthunder

Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 03-25-2006 04:42 PM Post subject:

Not to be rude, but a 2 year bumping?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Realityforgotten

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 03-26-2006 02:34 AM Post subject:

I will look for a converter but I am sure I can find one.

Realityforgotten

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 03-26-2006 11:07 AM Post subject:

what file format is required by the end program?

lost_jedi

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Zodiac: Cancer

Post Posted: 03-26-2006 11:32 AM Post subject:

NIF (NetImmerse File)

http://niftools.sourceforge.net/
http://niftools.sourceforge.net/docsys/
they might be useful

However to the best of my knowledge the NIF version used in BC is therefor not compatible with the plugins on that site. Might be a good place to start tho.

Good luck Smile

MLeo

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 03-26-2006 11:35 AM Post subject:

BC uses Nif format 3.1 (I believe that was it).

How to beat the Black Screen Of Death and Script problems Also handles Console/Screen/Error report/dump.

Realityforgotten

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 03-26-2006 03:47 PM Post subject:

OK there has to be a converter, And I know enough programmers, and coders that I may be able to get one written. though I need to know what format you need them in.

Ok I also re-read the posts and even though they stem from 2 yrs ago I think the problems are valid ones. So I will do my best to answer the questions.

Milkshape-- the file that you are importing has to be grouped as a whole in the program you are extracting it from (make any sense?) If you use .3ds format then you will have to select every item in the model and hit "ctr+G" or simply click on the group option. when a model is exported it is not always exported as a whole object, think of it this way. you've all seen Spaceballs right? ok When the mayor is teleported and finds that his head is on backwards and then re-teleports and it is on correctly again. that is how a lot of these modeling programs export--very unreliable.

I use Milkshape for the many projects I am involved with so I know it works well with importing. also 3d studio max will import .max files as well as it's own .3ds files but if you get a nifty plug in called Pandasoft it will allow you to export your model to the Directx format (one of my favorites) you can then import in to Milkshape as a mesh or you can simply use your Directx software on your computer (providing you have a PC and not a MAC).if you import in to Milkshae via Directx mesh you will need to right click the view port and the select textured. then export it to the desired file format you need and then plug it in.

The lightmap issue is a little complicated, all of your high end modelers come with the ability to lightmap the problem with that is they all have different methods of lightmapping that may not be conducive to every game engine. My lightmaps from 3D WS will not work in the FPSC or Torque engines at all but in Cartography shop 4 they work fine in the Torque engine. Also you can always re light a scene once you get it exported and imported again. one thing I did want to ask was what program do you currently rip the .nif file with and what format options does it give you (it should give you more than one)

Oh yeah another reason why in Milkshape your file looked like a bunch of triangles is because the UV cords were not set and or the modeler (Milkshape) automatically set it up for UVmapping, If it did this have fun. I know of a few ways to trick programs so you do not have to UVmap but that is for another session.

MLeo

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 03-26-2006 04:27 PM Post subject:

The problem where you (seem) to get lost in, is the assumption that if 2 formats (say 3ds and nif) are 2 3d formats, that they are mutually exclusive.

They aren't.

Also, there is a nif importer and exporter for Milkshape, but the developer couldn't get it to work for bridges, he did try. Also, remember I said that the nif format wasn't the normal nif format, but a slightly alterd one. As a result, only the included exporter for 3ds max 3.1 is the only one valid for exporting bridges.

Realityforgotten

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 03-26-2006 04:52 PM Post subject:

ok export them from 3ds to .x and then import them as a mesh in to milkshape (not relying on the .nif importer) Even if it is a slightly altered .nif it should still work. Then export them in the so called .nif exporter. now a question what was slightly altered in the .nif file? I am going to have to assume (I hate assuming it makes an ASS out of U and ME lol) That the engine that is used will accept and altered and un altered .nif file, correct? than just do what I said above and it should be fine. also as a mesh you should be able to get the lighting to work as well since (if BMP are used it will have the light burnt in to the texture) the mesh should call on either a .TGA or .BMP file to get the texture information.

I am new to BC I dont even own the program yet, I want to understand the modding part first before I do anything. and while I do not use BC doesn't mean that I have no idea what I'm talking about. I've used these programs enough to understand what they can and can not do. And I do understand the differences between 3d file formats and do understand that they are not all inclusive with one another if they were we would not need importers and exporters.

FACTS:

3DS does convert to .x files w/Pandasoft plugin
Milkshape does load Directx mesh models (.x)
milkshape exports to .nif

RF

Cube

Astrophysics "FTW"
General
General

Zodiac: Aries

Post Posted: 03-26-2006 05:20 PM Post subject:

Realityforgotten wrote:
FACTS:

3DS does convert to .x files w/Pandasoft plugin
Milkshape does load Directx mesh models (.x)
milkshape exports to .nif

RF

It all then relies on luck that milkshape doesnt mess up the importing or exporting (it usually does for me).

Plus, theres extra information that can be put in the nif format 3ds max can export, that isnt in the milkshape exporter

http://djcube.deviantart.com/

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Realityforgotten

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 03-26-2006 05:56 PM Post subject:

I'll agree with you about the Milkshape messing things up on the exporting end. Though with my experiance with Milkshape I have never had a problem exporting a Directx mesh in another format. when dealing with a mesh you don't have to worry about the scramble factor of a regualr model.

what information would you put in the .nif file that you could not put in the script that the engine uses to call upon the entity or segment you just created?
If it can be scripted or perhaps created as a seperate file and have the main script calling on the main entity/segment also reference this new file for the proper application of it.

Seems to me that this is an easy solution (Yes I do script with DBpro and C++) Here is a list of engines that I am currently creating content on and for. Torque3D,2D,TSE, FPSC, RealmCraftor. Didn't want you guys thinking that I was just talking out of my butt, I do actually have experience with a few different engines and script types.

Mark

Co-Founder, 3rd Era
Admiral
Admiral

Zodiac: Leo

Post Posted: 03-26-2006 09:42 PM Post subject:

the stock bridges were made in lightwave, thats why they dont import like the modded bridges

CaptainTombs

Ensign
Ensign

Zodiac: Virgo

Post Posted: 03-27-2006 03:46 AM Post subject:

only ones ive been able to get from the actual game are the engine rooms and starbase rooms, and the defiant bridge but after many releases and updates even then its hard to export/import, it would rock if there where a nif importer/exporter that could handle the bridge models

Star Trek: Unity
"Recycling the Old to build the new ships of the Future"
(PS.All models in my sig pic where done by DarkDrone so pay some respect and keep credits where they should be)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Legacy

Ensign
Ensign

Zodiac: Capricorn

Post Posted: 03-27-2006 12:26 PM Post subject:

Mark wrote:
the stock bridges were made in lightwave, thats why they dont import like the modded bridges

Actually it was lightscape... an old autodesk proggie for radiosity calculations.

LC

Life is change.

Cochrane

Ensign
Ensign

Post Posted: 03-27-2006 03:01 PM Post subject:

CaptainTombs wrote:
only ones ive been able to get from the actual game are the engine rooms and starbase rooms, and the defiant bridge but after many releases and updates even then its hard to export/import, it would rock if there where a nif importer/exporter that could handle the bridge models

Interesting, I didn't know but it's true. So...why can we import (stock) rooms and not bridges? Weren't they all made in LS Confused

lost_jedi

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Zodiac: Cancer

Post Posted: 03-27-2006 03:45 PM Post subject:

If i remember correctly when i was reading the SDK they said they made the models, then took some of the main ones into lightscape because it did better radiosity calculations than max or whatever. So some of the more simple models which we can import wern't run throught lightscape.

Realityforgotten

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 03-27-2006 04:42 PM Post subject:

Well I tell you what, does anyone in here know how to convert them to either .map or .csm file formats? If you do upload them here and I will mess with them. I'm sure I can get them hoocked up.

Treleth

"so double the killer delete select all."
General
General

Zodiac: Capricorn

Post Posted: 03-27-2006 11:21 PM Post subject:

lost_jedi wrote:
If i remember correctly when i was reading the SDK they said they made the models, then took some of the main ones into lightscape because it did better radiosity calculations than max or whatever. So some of the more simple models which we can import wern't run throught lightscape.

They should have made bridge modelling easier... Sad

Mark

Co-Founder, 3rd Era
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 03-28-2006 12:27 AM Post subject:

@ LC: *doh* Razz

Lord_MalaK

'Iw ra'wI' Sogh
'Iw ra'wI' Sogh

Post Posted: 04-18-2006 03:30 AM Post subject:

Legacy wrote:
Mark wrote:

Actually it was lightscape... an old autodesk proggie for radiosity calculations.

LC

So,is there lightscape plugins for bridge NIF importing and exporting ?? I'd love to have them.

'ej, Suvmo', rInmoHDI'? Hegh. Qong --- Qong neH ---
'ej QongDI', tIq 'oy', wa'SanID Daw''e' je
cho'nISbogh porghDaj rInmoHlaH net Har.

Sean

Bridge Modder
Commander
Commander

Zodiac: Pisces

Post Posted: 04-18-2006 09:21 AM Post subject:

Read Before Posting wrote:
7) Please don't bump threads that have had no new posts for at least 2 weeks unless you are, a)the original author or part of the team or
b)have something useful to contribute towards the thread.

Please Read the stickies.. http://bridgecommander.3dactionplanet.gamespy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=436470#436470

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Mark

Co-Founder, 3rd Era
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 04-18-2006 10:02 AM Post subject:

the plugins they used were never publicly released, additionally they only used lightscape for the lighting as i understand it, so an exporter wouldnt be all that useful anyway since we now have max 7 for lighting.