BCU main page Bridge Commander Universe
...welcome to the new world.

FAQFAQ  RanksRanks  RulesRules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Staff SiteStaff Site    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to beat the Black Screen Of Death and Script problems
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bridge Commander Universe Forum Index -> Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  

MLeo

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Zodiac: Aquarius

Post Posted: 08-19-2004 04:24 PM Post subject: How to beat the Black Screen Of Death and Script problems

Memo to myself: "Should have done this a long time ago. Or atleast saved the instructions to a file." Rolling Eyes

Anyway.

This thread is created to solve, or atleast assist in fixing BSOD (Black Screen Of Death aka Black Screen With Yellow/Federation Cursor), script related problems (as in buttons not/strangly/not good showing up or parts of the GUI (don't) show up (when they aren't supposed to).

If BC were to just freeze, do the following: Press Enter, if this didn't exit BC, press Alt + Tab and hold Alt. If you see a BC Icon, use the Tab key to get to that icon and release both Tab and Alt. You mostlikly just got the Dos Prompt. And follow the instructions at: "Checking to see if there is a script error".

Getting a Console Report

How to get a Console Report (aka Console/Screen Dump (any more?))?

1. First start in Test Mode (aka TestMode aka -TestMode).
    If you don't know how, look under the heading: "How to start into Test Mode".
  2. Get to the point where you encounter your problem (could be at the start of your game).
  3. Press ` (at the same key as ~), it's usually at the left of the 1 and above the Tab and beneath the Esc key.
  4. Press Enter. Now, it could take a little while (depending on the amount of messages, so don't worry except if you can't do anything anymore and it takes longer than a hour).
  5. Now you will see the problem, if script related. You can indentify one if it says TraceBack somwhere on the screen (but it isn't needed!).
  6. If you can fix it, then you don't need the following steps. If not (like you don't know heads or tails of scripting) look futher.
  7. You can go 2 ways with this.
    You can press Print Screen (as a normal screenshot) and Paste it in Paint or similar.
    Or type in the following:
    Code:
    App.g_kSystemWrapper.TakeScreenshot()

This produces a new (and normal) screenshot in your Screen Shots dir.
    To exit the game (without Ctrl Alt Delete) look futher at Exiting the game at Black Screen.
  8. Now, you have your screenshot, if you were running at 1024x768 or above, try resizing it to 800x600 (if the text becomes unreadable, zip it up at the original size). And try converting it to jpeg (if you can't, zip up the BMP). And post it in this thread or at the Technical Support forum (preferably the latter, so that we don't get 100 diffrent problems running through each other).

How to start into Test Mode

There are multiple ways on how to start the game into Test Mode.
The most common way is to (create and) modify a shortcut to BC's exe file, or you can use a batch file, or (if you want to have Test Mode always on) you can edit a __init__.py(c) file.

I'll explain all 3 ways.

The Shortcut way

Please note, I believe QBR includes a shortcut that does this (could someone verify this?).

fff0.fffCreate a shortcut to STBC.exe (skip this if you are going to use the shortcut on your desktop or another existing shortcut pointing to STBC.exe).
  1. Right click (or select and press that button left of the right Windows Key) and select Properties. You mostlikly see 2 tabs (General and Shortcut (and possible Compatibilty, if you use XP)). Were interrested in the Shortcut tab.
  2. You will now see some text (names and stuff), a couple of text boxes and some other stuff. We are interrested in the 1st textbox. At which it says: "Target:" infront of it. It's possible that it is blue with white text. If it is, press the right key to go to the end of the text (or click on it with your left mouse and press End).
  3. Add " -TestMode" (not the "" signs).
  4. Press Ok.

To start BC in test mode this way, execute the modified shortcut.

The Batch file way

There are 2 ways of doing this. Both are the same, just do what you prefer.

Download a prepared batch file from here.
Or (like when Nightsoft is down) create a (text) file (notepad will do fine) and add the following to it:
Code:
stbc.exe -TestMode

And save it to any name you like, aslong as it is in the same directory as STBC.exe (BC root dir) and aslong as it has the .bat extension.

To start BC in test mode this way, execute the .bat file (if you downloaded mine, it's called TestMode.bat).

The always on way

This way is modifying a stock file. So I suggest you backup the file if you don't want this way later on.

The file I suggest you edit is BC Root\scripts\Tactical\__init__.pyc
So rename the extension of that file to whatever you want to, as long as it isn't py or pyc (I suggest org, or bak).

Create a file called __init__.py and place it in BC Root\scripts\Tactical\ and put the following in it:
Code:
import App
App.UtopiaApp_GetApp().SetTestMenuState(2)

Or download the one I prepared earlier from here and put it in the above location (you can chose to put it somewhere else if you like, but at your own risk!).

Exiting the game at Black Screen

Type this in at the console:
Code:
import sys
sys.exit()

Thanks to JWattsjr for showing me this trick.Smile

Checking to see if there is a script error

Even though you might not get a BSOD. A script error could occur.
When you suspect this (like you try out a (Beta) script, it's on, but nothing happens, just an example).
To spot these, run in Test Mode (if you don't know how, I refer to this thread Smile). Goto Configure -> Graphics and you will see an option named: "Size: Fullscreen". When you click on this, you will see that it goes to Windowed mode (the Option is now called: "Size: Windowed").
If a script error occurs while you are in Windowed mode a (MS) Dos box/Prompt (aka Debug Window) will show up in the same fashion as the console, just no nice background. Razz Now, it is the same as getting a console report. With a few changes.

First, you can only use method 1 of getting a screenshot. And I suggest you use Alt + Printscreen, instead of Printscreen.

Exiting however is easier. Just press Ctrl + c (if you need to copy the selection of text from a Dos Promt, press the right mouse button!).
Or you can type in "abort" (no "").

Something else that could be usefull, is continuing the game after you get this dos box. You can do this by typing "resume" (no ""). But if you have a missing projectile script (especially for pulse weapons), then it migt be a better way to quit and fix it, rather than going through all pulse weapons...

Also thanks to JWattsjr for showing me that a Dos Prompt can become visible when encountering a script problem!

How to beat the Black Screen Of Death and Script problems Also handles Console/Screen/Error report/dump.
BC Technical FAQ [Last updated 26/12/2005]
"Trust me, I'm a con artist" - Moist von Lipwig, "Going Postal, Discworld"

MLeo

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 08-19-2004 09:17 PM Post subject:

Ok. I believe this was all?

Please note if I missed anything.

Maybe a mod could consider stickying this thread?
It could be usefull.

How to beat the Black Screen Of Death and Script problems Also handles Console/Screen/Error report/dump.

jwattsjr

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Zodiac: Taurus

Post Posted: 08-19-2004 11:36 PM Post subject:

MLeoDaalder wrote:
Ok. I believe this was all?

Please note if I missed anything.

Maybe a mod could consider stickying this thread?
It could be usefull.

Looks good. The only thing I'll add is that the Debug Console (the DOS box) gives you the option to either type "resume" (w/o quotes) to attempt to continue, or type "abort" (again, w/o quotes) to exit the game.

Oh yaeh! It's been stickied. Wink

MLeo

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 08-20-2004 10:53 AM Post subject:

jwattsjr wrote:
Looks good. The only thing I'll add is that the Debug Console (the DOS box) gives you the option to either type "resume" (w/o quotes) to attempt to continue, or type "abort" (again, w/o quotes) to exit the game.

Oh yaeh! It's been stickied. Wink

Thanks for both!

jwattsjr

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Posted: 08-20-2004 11:59 PM Post subject:

No problem. I just remembered something else...
If you're not in Windowed mode, and the Debug window pops up, you won't see it. It'll look like the game has frozen. This is because the Debug window is the active window as far as the computer is concerned. The problem is that it stays in the background on the monitor. Sometimes you can Alt-Tab your way to it, and sometimes you can't.

If you do get an apparent lockup, try typing "abort" and pressing Enter. If the game closes, you know you had a script error, and can then switch to windowed mode when you restart the game.

This "active window in the background" glitch is why I've always recommended testing in windowed mode. It pretty much guarantees you'll be able to get to the Debug window.

MLeo

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 08-21-2004 08:45 AM Post subject:

I believe I've covert that.

At the top.

jwattsjr

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Posted: 08-22-2004 12:44 AM Post subject:

MLeoDaalder wrote:
I believe I've covert that.

At the top.

You did. When I thought of it, I didn't check back to the very top of your post.

Creative Inc

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Zodiac: Pisces

Post Posted: 08-29-2004 10:50 AM Post subject:

Speaking of the old BSOD, here's my screen with just NanoFX 2.0 and QBR 2.2 installed. And the Foundation is installed also. This happens at startup.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Sim Rex

Zodiac: Capricorn

Post Posted: 08-29-2004 11:02 AM Post subject:

Looks to me like you don't have the latest version of Foundation...

-- The Fallen Angel - Iron Maiden(Smith/Harris)

For beginner scripters - The BCU Mission Scripting Lessons

MLeo

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 08-29-2004 11:03 AM Post subject:

Just create an empty file in scripts called: "FoundationTriggers.py"
That should do the trick.

Creative Inc

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Zodiac: Pisces

Post Posted: 08-29-2004 01:14 PM Post subject:

Thanks MLeoDaalder, you are right, but I was able to talk to Defiant and he said the same thing. It now works. Thanks again.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

tiqhud

Pro-Captain
Pro-Captain

Post Posted: 09-07-2004 03:44 PM Post subject: Re: How to beat the Black Screen Of Death and Script problem

MLeoDaalder wrote:

To spot these, run in Test Mode (if you don't know how, I refer to this thread Smile). Goto Configure -> Graphics and you will see an option named: "Size: Fullscreen". When you click on this, you will see that it goes to Windowed mode (the Option is now called: "Size: Windowed").
If a script error occurs while you are in Windowed mode a (MS) Dos box/Prompt (aka Debug Window) will show up in the same fashion as the console, just no nice background. Razz Now, it is the same as getting a console report. With a few changes.

Probably need to add "you must exit the game and restart in testmode"

I didn't do it
If we don't learn from our Mistakes, we will surely repeat them.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
According to the way society is going, I'll need a college Degree just to change a light bulb

MLeo

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 09-07-2004 04:14 PM Post subject: Re: How to beat the Black Screen Of Death and Script problem

tiqhud wrote:
MLeoDaalder wrote:

Probably need to add "you must exit the game and restart in testmode"

No (no need to restart as far as I know), I assume you still are in TestMode, since you already needed to be in Test Mode to get the Dos Box.

tiqhud

Pro-Captain
Pro-Captain

Post Posted: 09-07-2004 06:45 PM Post subject: Re: How to beat the Black Screen Of Death and Script problem

MLeoDaalder wrote:
No (no need to restart as far as I know), I assume you still are in TestMode, since you already needed to be in Test Mode to get the Dos Box.

But I did

I didn't do it
According to the way society is going, I'll need a college Degree just to change a light bulb

MLeo

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 09-07-2004 06:47 PM Post subject:

Ok, one thing at the time.

You have a problem, right?
You get the Dos Box, right?

If so, then get the Dos Box in focus (with Alt + Tab)
and then press Alt + Print Screen (and then the rest).

I replied to your e-mail (you appear to have been able to get to the Dos Box).

tiqhud

Pro-Captain
Pro-Captain

Post Posted: 09-07-2004 09:25 PM Post subject:

MLeoDaalder wrote:
Ok, one thing at the time.

You have a problem, right?
You get the Dos Box, right?

If so, then get the Dos Box in focus (with Alt + Tab)
and then press Alt + Print Screen (and then the rest).

I replied to your e-mail (you appear to have been able to get to the Dos Box).

I appologize for it being out of focus, I dont seem to have a diffculty now, flew a defiant class ship, around inside Starbase 12 , and docked in a Promethesus

I didn't do it

tiqhud

Pro-Captain
Pro-Captain

Post Posted: 09-08-2004 06:01 PM Post subject:

When I removed the Old foundation, let BCMI set-up the new one, and Installed NanoFX ,,, ATP was taken out

I didn't do it

MLeo

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 09-08-2004 06:34 PM Post subject:

Logicly, ATP (1 and 2) need a QuickBattle.py modification.

NanoFX also changes QuickBattle.py but it doesn't contain the modification ATP needs.

And the Foundation also changes QuickBattle.py (but ATP and NanoFX have taken those changes in account).

Star Dragon

Brigedier General (EDF)
Ensign
Ensign

Zodiac: Virgo

Post Posted: 10-10-2004 09:16 PM Post subject: new guy old problems..

HI,

After dl'ing and reading all read me's I installed half oif the mods on BC files like: nano fix, engineering 3, shutles ,ect all the "essentials"

I kept getting BSOD and read this thread and ran in test mode to get this screen: any sugestions? BCMI is installed but set up exe for qb2.2 works but the BCMI version hangs up (failed to extract - timeout never starts)...

MLeo

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 10-10-2004 09:20 PM Post subject:

You forgot the most essential mod of them all.

The Foundation.

Star Dragon

Brigedier General (EDF)
Ensign
Ensign

Post Posted: 10-10-2004 09:33 PM Post subject: ok I'm stumped

Where is the link to foundation? I looked under Loading Screens, 3rd part scripting, Utilities and MIsc I doubt it would be under weapons, tgl's or effects.

Is it called by another name? I thought you get foundation from dl'ingBCMI

I also used Keyword search on BCFILES.com for Foundation under all categoriess as well as modifications...

Search is usually the best option but not this time...

MLeo

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 10-10-2004 09:38 PM Post subject:

When you run BCMI/BCMP and you have pointed it to the right directory, then it will see if your BC has the Foundation, if it has not, then it will ask you to install it.

If it doesn't, then BCMI.Net has a BCMod for the Foundation in the dir Foundation (and that dir is in the same dir as where you installed BCMI.Net).

Star Dragon

Brigedier General (EDF)
Ensign
Ensign

Post Posted: 10-10-2004 09:48 PM Post subject: thanks!

I forgot I got BCMI AFTER I dl'ed the demo but BEFORE I got the retail game so the directories were messed up and it installed into the demo (which has since been deleted, now I am getting other messages and will take them on one at a time.. Smile

Gareth

Admiral
Admiral

Zodiac: Cancer

Post Posted: 12-05-2004 09:11 PM Post subject:

erm, a BSOD has happened to me now; I typed 'abort' and it didn't close.

here's the screen dump, so what do I do now?

MLeo

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 12-05-2004 10:41 PM Post subject:

Hmm...

Could you send me the Ship Plugin?

And the Abort only works when you are in the Debug Console (Dos Box version).

Post Posted: 12-25-2004 08:01 PM Post subject:

MLeoDaalder wrote:
Hmm...

which ship plugin do you want? the card pod.py one?

Gareth

Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 12-25-2004 08:02 PM Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:
MLeoDaalder wrote:
Hmm...

which ship plugin do you want? the card pod.py one?

oops, forgot to log in ^^;

MLeo

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 12-26-2004 12:16 PM Post subject:

Yes, the one it mentions in the console report.

Gareth

Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 01-07-2005 04:44 PM Post subject:

sorry for the [extremely] late reply ^^;

MLeo

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 01-07-2005 04:55 PM Post subject:

Try this one:
Code:
#######################################################################################
#  Custom Ship Plugin                                                                 #
#  Created by BC - Mod Packager                                                       #
#  Date: 25/11/2004                                                                    #
#######################################################################################
#                                                                                     #
import Foundation
import App
#                                                                                     #
abbrev = 'card pod'
iconName = 'card pod'
longName = 'card pod'
shipFile = 'card pod'
menuGroup = 'Card Ships'
playerMenuGroup = 'Card Ships'
species = App.SPECIES_GALAXY
# Mod Info.  Use this as an opportunity to describe your work in brief.  This may     #
# have use later on for updates and such.                                             #
credits = {
   'modName': 'card pod',
   'author': '',
   'version': '1.0',
   'sources': [ 'http://' ],
   'comments': ''
}
# This is the ShipDef that adds the Ship to the game... BC-Mod Packager has           #
# automatically generated the proper ShipDef Line for you.                            #
Foundation.ShipDef.card_pod = Foundation.CardShipDef(abbrev, species, { 'name': longName, 'iconName': iconName, 'shipFile': shipFile })
# Uncomment these if you have TGL                                                     #
# Foundation.ShipDef.card_pod.hasTGLName = 1
# Foundation.ShipDef.card_pod.hasTGLDesc = 1
# Otherwise, uncomment this and type something in:                                    #
Foundation.ShipDef.card_pod.desc = 'No Description Available'
# These register the ship with the QuickBattle menus.  Don't touch them!!!            #
if menuGroup:           Foundation.ShipDef.card_pod.RegisterQBShipMenu(menuGroup)
if playerMenuGroup:     Foundation.ShipDef.card_pod.RegisterQBPlayerShipMenu(playerMenuGroup)

if Foundation.shipList._keyList.has_key(longName):
     Foundation.ShipDef.card_pod.friendlyDetails[2] = Foundation.shipList[longName].friendlyDetails[2]
     Foundation.ShipDef.card_pod.enemyDetails[2] = Foundation.shipList[longName].enemyDetails[2]