BCU main page Bridge Commander Universe
...welcome to the new world.

FAQFAQ  RanksRanks  RulesRules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Staff SiteStaff Site    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Star Trek re-imagination ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bridge Commander Universe Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you support a Star Trek re-imagination the way it was done with Battlestar Galactica?
NO WAY
57%
 57%  [ 16 ]
Perhaps if it was done correctly
32%
 32%  [ 9 ]
Fantastic idea let's throw out continuity
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 28

Micheal_Yar

Commander
Commander

Zodiac: Libra

Post Posted: 01-13-2006 05:33 PM Post subject: Star Trek re-imagination ?

Would you support a Orignal Star Trek re-imagination the way it was done with Battlestar Galactica?

This was a quistion on Ex Astris Scientia. and i think a valid quistion. so would you?

You have a dreamy mind, full of fancy and fantasy.
You have the ability to stay forever entertained with your thoughts.
People may say you're hard to read, but that's because you're so internally focused.
But when you do share what you're thinking, people are impressed with your imagination.

Joe Slater

Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

Post Posted: 01-13-2006 05:39 PM Post subject:

nope. BSG and ST differ in that BSG never had spinoffs like ST.

The idea has some merit, but is probably best left up to fan fic.

I also don't think that fans and insiders should be focussing on "Getting back to the original feeling" of Star Trek. They tried it, and it got tiresome. Time for something new.

Imperial_Destroyer

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Zodiac: Sagittarius

Post Posted: 01-13-2006 06:58 PM Post subject:

NO WAY, that is STUPID, they need to come up with a new series
BSG got lucky in that during its original run it was not that popular
if they tried it with TOS they would get boycotted by the fans, TOS is sacred, the way BSG was not

Cube

Astrophysics "FTW"
General
General

Zodiac: Aries

Post Posted: 01-13-2006 07:14 PM Post subject:

I say no, even though the original needs bringing to this century (e.g. stuff like updating dates like the eurogenic wars, adding the NX-01 to the recreation deck..etc), I would much perfer a new saries, as TOS is the poorest (plot-wise) out of all the Star Treks.

http://djcube.deviantart.com/

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

1DeadlySAMURAI

Commodore
Commodore

Zodiac: Aquarius

Post Posted: 01-13-2006 07:28 PM Post subject:

Nah.

Who hasn't voted? there are four that says no but only three no votes.

There's to much blood in my caffeene system.

Treleth

"so double the killer delete select all."
General
General

Zodiac: Capricorn

Post Posted: 01-13-2006 08:01 PM Post subject:

i think it should, just not as dark

Phaser

Star Trek Canon Authority
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 01-14-2006 12:55 AM Post subject:

Joe Slater wrote:
Exactly.

In my opinion, there are three reasons why this question is being asked in the first place:
1) The reinvisioning of BSG has been a great success
2) Star Trek has been somewhat exhausted, story-wise
3) Enterprise f*cked up everything so badly, that people are wondering if we should just start over with Star Trek.

Numbers 2 and 3 are related in that people often think that because Enterprise got p*ss poor ratings, people are tired of Star Trek. This is partly true, due to reason #2. But the primary reason Enterprise got terrible ratings is because it was a terrible excuse for a Star Trek show, and at best a mediocre Sci-fi show.

I think that with good writers who know and care about Star Trek, another hit Star Trek show could be made without compromising continuity. I would give the series a couple years of rest first, though. Partly to give the fan base some time to get the terrible taste of Akiraprise their mouths, but also to give the writers time to come up with some great stories.

RCgothic

Assistant Site and Operations Director
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator

Post Posted: 01-14-2006 02:02 AM Post subject:

I completely disagree that star trek as an idea got tired. When did ratings decline?

When they stopped addressing current issues in a sci-fi setting in an intelligent manner.

The next generation episode Darmok is the perfect example. The Enterprise is faced with an alien race they can't comunicate with and they abduct the captain. Successive attempts at a technological solution fail, and a last ditch agressive assault fails, it is Picard who saves the day not by remodulating the thingy but by coming to an insightful understanding and thus establishing peaceful relations.

Deep space nine did that that sort of episode well. Voyager did not. the episodes ceased being as challenging and it all went downhill from there. Yes cool battle sequences and special effects are nice, but not when they're constantly used for plot resolution.

TOS could be redone, BSG was sacred to the orriginal fans, and RDM messed with it, but in the end the majority were swayed by the awesome new approach.
TOS is sacred to star trek fans, but a re-imagining could be done, but only so long as the producers get it into their heads that Star Trek is an intelligent show and that they really have to bust their asses on creating challenging plots that get you involved and make you think. B&B would not be allowed within a Parsec of this new series, and we are CERTAINLY not throwing out continuity beyond a few corrections that have been made neccessary by the mess that was the prequel.

On those conditions I vote yes.

Pegasus

Resident Irishman
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 01-14-2006 02:58 AM Post subject:

They tried a re-imagining already.

It was called Enterprise. We all know what a joke that was. Nuff said.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Mark

Co-Founder, 3rd Era
Admiral
Admiral

Zodiac: Leo

Post Posted: 01-14-2006 03:10 AM Post subject:

i think a total recreate like BSG wouldnt work for trek, however i think for the next generation of trek series there should be enough of a timeline gap to allow for some real changes.

set it just 25 years in the future and we could be presented with a war torn federation trying to get things back the way they were.

i also think the next film should kick start the next series, much like BSG

Phaser

Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 01-14-2006 04:56 AM Post subject:

Pegasus wrote:
They tried a re-imagining already.

It was called Enterprise. We all know what a joke that was. Nuff said.
Hear hear!! Toast

Mark wrote:
i think a total recreate like BSG wouldnt work for trek, however i think for the next generation of trek series there should be enough of a timeline gap to allow for some real changes.

set it just 25 years in the future and we could be presented with a war torn federation trying to get things back the way they were.
Now there's a cool idea! That would allow for a lot of new stories. (The writers would just have to make sure the ideals of Starfleet aren't completely lost. If that were to happen, it just wouldn't feel like Star Trek to me.)

RCgothic

Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator

Post Posted: 01-14-2006 11:49 AM Post subject:

There's nothing to prevent another series being set AT THE SAME TIME as a previous series, on a ship DEFINATELY NOT CALLED ENTERPRISE.

I'd watch a show about the USS Repulse, Excelsior class, set during TNG so long as the crew and stories were interesting and it didn't fuck with continuity, but complemented it.

All those other ships in starfleet must be doing something. And if they avoid anything huge like WMD deployment on earth or invent a huge war we haven't heard of where there shouldn't be one, it could be done really well, especially if it tied into previously established events without changing those events.

Pegasus

Resident Irishman
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 01-14-2006 12:50 PM Post subject:

I don't think a story about a "General exploration ship" would sell. It has to hahve some sort of hook. Perople aren't going to watch the same thing again.

You had general exploratopn: TNG
Space Station: DS9
Exploration on the far side of the galaxy trying to get home : VOY
And... Enterprise......

You need something like it's set in the future to catch audiences attention and make them think "This is new, never seen that before".

Anything less would be a complete and utter dud.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Nebula

CA/KM/BCS:TC Mod Team Member

Zodiac: Gemini

Post Posted: 01-14-2006 03:40 PM Post subject:

Integration of the Romulan star empire into the federation?? Hmm...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Psycho_Nemesis

Resident Psycho...Didnt You Read The Name ?
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 01-14-2006 04:30 PM Post subject:

As said Enterprise is partly what screwed Star Trek into the ground, but it is true, we all knew that there was 1 space ship before the NCC-1701 named Enterprise and it wasnt that NX-01 crap.

I think the only thing what everyone is saying is right, Star Trek could have worked, even gone backwords, so long as we didnt go to something that messed up continutity.

As for a BSG reimganing, I wouldnt say that people didn't like the orginal BSG, because I know quite a few who did like it, I think that this BSG juss seems to strike out to people more because it it had more

1) releastic ideas
2) 2 because not everything was soved in 1 epiosde, example being that ya know Adama was shot, and he was outta the picture for like 3-4 episodes, then new BSG is taking what seems like a more B5 approch to it, where the continutiy from every episode from day 1 takes effect in what goes on.

RCgothic

Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator

Post Posted: 01-14-2006 05:28 PM Post subject:

And the plots are intelligent in BSG. Is it right to treat sentient machines as second class? How far do you go in order to survive? Clash of Religions? How do you treat prisoners?

BSG tackles real issues of morality and ideology and doesn't talk down to the audience. Trek started failing on those counts since the end of Deep Space 9.

Cube

Astrophysics "FTW"
General
General

Post Posted: 01-15-2006 12:24 PM Post subject:

Alll you need is a continuation of Enterprise, but with a diferent ship, showing the Romulan Wars.

The Romulans, part way through the war, use a tactic which involdes hundreds of "cheap" (as in material wise" ships with nukes and stuff, devistate the federation (the "different ship" is one of the few surviving ships), causing them to use the same tactic.

All the continuation errors solved, of which there arn't many.

Just need to have great plots like Ent Season 4.

CaptAidy1701

Commodore
Commodore

Post Posted: 01-15-2006 12:52 PM Post subject:

Firstly you cant remake star trek its just not cricket however it was a FIVE year mission so you can continue it : http://p087.ezboard.com/bcowcreekfilms

Secondly BSG was cut down in its prime in the 70s but the story was still good so it was reimagined for todays society.

Thirdly Star Trek needs new life a continuation to go forward not backwards and to boldly go where no one has gone before....

Dragon

TERTIARY X-1
TERTIARY X-1

Post Posted: 01-15-2006 01:41 PM Post subject:

Joe Slater wrote:

The idea has some merit, but is probably best left up to fan fic.

I also don't think that fans and insiders should be focussing on "Getting back to the original feeling" of Star Trek. They tried it, and it got tiresome. Time for something new.

I totally agree with this, dont look back, look forward ...

Torpedo Modding Guide
Shuttle Launching Guide

Pegasus

Resident Irishman
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 01-15-2006 02:55 PM Post subject:

It's always been the idea alright. Grand it was a nice sentiment to look back to where it all began with Trek, But they made a complete and utter dog's b*llocks with it by re-writing history for ratings.

Look forward. I don't know about you, but a series with the USS Relativity certainly wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen. As long as they don't muck about.

CaptAidy1701

Commodore
Commodore

Post Posted: 01-16-2006 08:46 PM Post subject:

I think they should do one based on the Star Trek Titan books series a few old characters with some new ones

Captain Riker
Commander Troi
Commander Tuvok

Derbus

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Zodiac: Virgo

Post Posted: 01-16-2006 09:14 PM Post subject:

*Fan Boy mode Engaged*

I wanna see bigger and tougher ships! A sovereign the size of a super stardestroyer with torpedo tubes and turrets all over the place! All the designs should hold true to their form and function but the capital Ships (Enterprises) should be on a much larger scale, by comparison to other sci-fis, trek ships are "petite" and kinda puny *ducks*, I would love to see the Sovereign as a super carrier! think about the current design, only with torpedo tubes and turrets running across the engineering section, 150 fighters can swarm out, more phaser strips, windows on the warp pylons, a larger engineering room, a massive bridge that is vibrant and busy with life and computer panels.

I would love to see a dramatic increase in production values as well, better sets costumes, and special effects, better armor and weapons for security detail, more races that are not humanoid.

And lastly but most importantly better scripts.

Imperial_Destroyer

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Posted: 01-16-2006 10:22 PM Post subject:

can we shove him out an airlock?
fan boys like this ruin ST
NO WAY, this Sci-fi has more realism than most, we will NOT have ships over 2km long, the largest ship, besideds the borg, was the rommie warbird, or was it some dominion ship?
ST WAS NOT and IS NOT about war and destruction and niether is the Fed

Phaser

Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 01-16-2006 11:14 PM Post subject:

Preach on, Imperial_Destroyer! Star Trek is about peaceful coexistance and exploration; something writters and producers completely forgot when they made *shudders* Nemesis and *shudders again* Enterprise.

The only thing I agree with Derbus about is the need for better scripts.

Imperial_Destroyer

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Posted: 01-16-2006 11:21 PM Post subject:

actually Ent was accurate that the early exploration days were dangerous, even during TOS it was dangerous, ENT shouldn't have had a Xindi attack, but rather the Romi war, AND the birth of the Fed, THESE would have made a better series
i really hated how they didn't let us hear Archer's speech, that could have been cool

Derbus

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Posted: 01-16-2006 11:38 PM Post subject:

alright I surrender about the ships. Microwave

But as far Special effects go I think I have a point, looking prettier wont hurt. And better scripts and plots are a must; "Nazi alien time machine" anyone? Razz

Imperial_Destroyer

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Posted: 01-17-2006 12:46 AM Post subject:

thing is, with a TV series, you have to balance between flashy FX and good plots, you really don't get both, not without the budget being huge for a TV show
i'd rather have TOS style FX with good plots rather than something flashy with crap plots

Armondikov

Tan tan ta ra, tzing boom!

Zodiac: Cancer

Post Posted: 01-17-2006 12:50 AM Post subject:

BSG and Star Trek are different in the fact that Star Trek fans tend to be highly stuck up about what they want and can never agree. Enterprise was doomed to fail just through cynicsm alone.

You couldn't really 'remake' a star trek series because it literally wouldn't have worked, there's no better explaination than that. Even if you just redo a TOS series with better effects and makeup (which is what I think Enterprise did to a degree) because, frankly, TOS is a bit crap really.

I'd still like the idea of a mini series that showed different characters each time, entire episodes aboard a Klingon ship in the TNG timeline, a few scientists messing around with early warp drives, maybe even a crew ofa Federation Timeship from the 29th century. But of course, people scorn on that idea because it's different.

Derbus

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Posted: 01-17-2006 12:52 AM Post subject:

Imperial_Destroyer wrote:
thing is, with a TV series, you have to balance between flashy FX and good plots, you really don't get both, not without the budget being huge for a TV show
i'd rather have TOS style FX with good plots rather than something flashy with crap plots

No, I totally agree with you there! Fluff, Is just fluff... you need a strong bones underneath...

Cube

Astrophysics "FTW"
General
General

Post Posted: 01-17-2006 07:09 PM Post subject:

Imperial_Destroyer wrote:
actually Ent was accurate that the early exploration days were dangerous, even during TOS it was dangerous, ENT shouldn't have had a Xindi attack, but rather the Romi war, AND the birth of the Fed, THESE would have made a better series

Pity Enterprise didn't last long enough to show those parts

Quote:
i really hated how they didn't let us hear Archer's speech, that could have been cool

That one episode ruined the Whole of ENT, and Star Trek by totally dismissing the romulan wars. It was also the only episode to have a rubbish plot and that i didnt enjoy...I just wish that episode never happened.