BCU main page Bridge Commander Universe
...welcome to the new world.

FAQFAQ  RanksRanks  RulesRules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Staff SiteStaff Site    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why is warez wrong? Do you have a few days?.........
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bridge Commander Universe Forum Index -> Forum Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Zodiac: Taurus

Post Posted: 08-08-2004 08:26 AM Post subject: Why is warez wrong? Do you have a few days?.........

Since I could write a complete thesis on this, I will limit my rant on this matter to three concise points. I want to be clear on this issue.

Warez is stealing. You are not entitled to a program that someone busted thier butt to make, someone paid to have it developed, people were paid to distribute and package it....there is a reason it costs money for you to buy it.......it cost money to make it. The end result of warez is the developer can't afford to develop what you are stealing. There are lots of cheap alternatives on the market, lots of ways to get a discount.

Warez is a copyright violation. A person that makes something and pays to have it protected has a right to expect people to respect his or her wishes. You didn't make it, you didn't pay for it..........he or she did. You have no right to demand that someone makes or releases something for free.....the day you start working for free is the day you can present that argument.

Warez is not free. You end up paying for it eventually........Either through prices of other items that have to be raised because you were too cheap to pay for an item, insurance rates that protect honest people from people that are thieves like you, or by sitting in a jail cell. If you have over 300 dolars in warez on your computer right now you are facing 30 years in federal prison. Is it worth it?

Now, prices are high for certain programs I admit.......too high for most to reach. I rarely buy new programs, games or movies. I buy them on Ebay, Amazon, Overstock.com, etc. I try out a program if it has a demo. I own over 20,000 dollars in software, and that does not include what we own for our business.......that is money that I worked very hard to earn, and you can do the same. Paying for the software means people can make more software, better software.

THERE IS NO WAREZ ALLOWED HERE PERIOD. No discussion about where to get it, no talking about using it, NOTHING. The person that ownes this site is a software business owner, and he does not like warez. Imagine that.

I am all for Freeware. We don't charge people to use our model editor, NanoFX, our models, etc. We put out plenty for free, and we pay for the work. The least you guys can do is keep warez off my site.

Nuff said.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Bridge Commander Universe
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Matsch-Klon

DabwI' tlhIngan loD - resident Klingon guy
yo' 'aj
yo' 'aj

Zodiac: Aries

Post Posted: 08-08-2004 10:03 AM Post subject:

Hm, I don't want to be rude, but to me cds7318's post didn't sound like a warez request.

Look, this is what he posted:
Quote:
Does anyone know where i can download 3ds max 3? milkshape stoped working and i have no way to import export now..

When I first read that I was sure he asked for a trial version of 3ds max 3. I thought that for several Reasons:
1, cds7318 is an experienced modder and long-time member of this community - he knows that he shouldn't make warez requests here.
2, he said that his Milkshape trial expired. If he was a warez-guy, he would simply get himself a serial or crack for Milkshape and not be so stupid to ask for a warez link to Max 3.

I don't think we can just assume that that was a warez request, because I don't think it is one. He should at least be given the chance to explain himself before he gets a warning.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

Strayhero

I'm mad
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: 08-08-2004 05:32 PM Post subject:

Matsch-Klon wrote:
Hm, I don't want to be rude, but to me cds7318's post didn't sound like a warez request.

Look, this is what he posted:
Quote:
Does anyone know where i can download 3ds max 3? milkshape stoped working and i have no way to import export now..

When I first read that I was sure he asked for a trial version of 3ds max 3. I thought that for several Reasons:
1, cds7318 is an experienced modder and long-time member of this community - he knows that he shouldn't make warez requests here.
2, he said that his Milkshape trial expired. If he was a warez-guy, he would simply get himself a serial or crack for Milkshape and not be so stupid to ask for a warez link to Max 3.

I don't think we can just assume that that was a warez request, because I don't think it is one. He should at least be given the chance to explain himself before he gets a warning.

i agree, if that was a warez request then it should say "for free" or something of the like, that was a simple request for an old discreet link for a free trial, giving a warning for that just makes no sense.....
if he was a noob or had been warned for this before it would warant a warning or banning to prove a point.... not for a well know person that has put in valueable advice and comments many times.

Durandal

Commodore
Commodore

Post Posted: 08-08-2004 07:13 PM Post subject:

Strayhero wrote:
i agree, if that was a warez request then it should say "for free" or something of the like, that was a simple request for an old discreet link for a free trial, giving a warning for that just makes no sense.....
if he was a noob or had been warned for this before it would warant a warning or banning to prove a point.... not for a well know person that has put in valueable advice and comments many times.

Then let this be a heads up that anything that sounds like a warez request will receive a warning. We have no way of knowing for sure unless you specifically say what your intentions are. And if we can't be sure, we will warn you. We can't read minds but we have a zero tolerance policy for warez that we must enforce. That post was ambiguous enough to merit a warning, and so I issued it. I can't play favorites and I realize that may have not been his intent, but in the future I'm sure cds7318 will be much more careful when asking for a software download, which is as it should be. If you guys have a problem with it, I'm sorry, but I hope you can understand my position.

Upward to heaven it rebounds from the blow.
When the count sees it never will be broke,
Then to himself right softly he makes moan;
'Ah, Durandal, fair, hallowed, and devote,
What store of relics lies in thy hilt of gold!'"

-From The Song of Roland
(Translated by Dorothy Sayers, Viking Penguin, NY, NY, 1957)

Starfleet Headquarters

Captain
Captain

Zodiac: Sagittarius

Post Posted: 08-08-2004 07:50 PM Post subject:

I understand your position Durandal, however I don't think that it was close to a warez request. The main reason is that it is a old version of 3ds Max..if was the newest version then I also might have done something if I was an admin on BCU. However since it was a old obsolete program.....

Starfleet Headquarters out.

Sim Rex

Zodiac: Capricorn

Post Posted: 08-08-2004 08:01 PM Post subject:

Starfleet Headquarters wrote:
I understand your position Durandal, however I don't think that it was close to a warez request. The main reason is that it is a old version of 3ds Max..if was the newest version then I also might have done something if I was an admin on BCU. However since it was a old obsolete program.....

Even though it's old, it's still protected by copyright and so it's illegal to get it without paying. The rules are the rules. And a single warning is not the end of the world. So long as cds doesn't do anything else wrong, the warning should be gone in 30 days time, and we can all move on and forget this happened. I'm sure it's not going to damage his reputation in the community or anything...

It's a shame that Discreet can't be persuaded to release the really old versions of Max as freeware now, though - their only serious usage is going to be for making mods or possibly fanfilms these days - no serious studio is ever going to part with any cash to get a totally outdated version of the software.

-- The Fallen Angel - Iron Maiden(Smith/Harris)

For beginner scripters - The BCU Mission Scripting Lessons

Matsch-Klon

yo' 'aj
yo' 'aj

Post Posted: 08-08-2004 08:10 PM Post subject:

Are you sure? 3d studio max 3 is a very impressive piece of software, you can model ships for BC there almost as easily as in any newer version.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

Wes Janson

Captain
Captain

Zodiac: Sagittarius

Post Posted: 08-08-2004 08:47 PM Post subject:

Yeah. Max 3 was the Max 6 of its day...

Sim Rex

Zodiac: Capricorn

Post Posted: 08-08-2004 08:55 PM Post subject:

Matsch-Klon wrote:
Are you sure? 3d studio max 3 is a very impressive piece of software, you can model ships for BC there almost as easily as in any newer version.

Short answer... Yes.

Long answer... Max 3 had its day. Compared to, for example, Milkshape, it is indeed very impressive. Compared to Max 6, it is primitve and cumbersome. And Max 7 is going to be out soon Wink

Modern developers need access to modern features. Remember, making ships for Bridge Commander is making models for an engine that's about four years old!

-- The Fallen Angel - Iron Maiden(Smith/Harris)

For beginner scripters - The BCU Mission Scripting Lessons

Mark

Co-Founder, 3rd Era
Admiral
Admiral

Zodiac: Leo

Post Posted: 08-09-2004 12:20 AM Post subject:

Your making me nuts!..

EDIT: half an hour of searching on google came up blank..

sorry, but unless some one here has a dl link im afraid ur shtumped

cds7318

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Zodiac: Gemini

Post Posted: 08-09-2004 12:40 AM Post subject:

Okay, First i'd like to thank Matsch-Klon, Strayhero and hq for sticking up for me. I'd also like to thank sim and Durandal for anwering my pms. now about the topic at hand. I should have been more clear on my request. I never said i was looking for a trial but i figured anyone who read that would know thats what i meant. I didn't mean to disrespeact these forums. As a matter of fact i've tryed very hard to help out with anything i could. I surly wouldn't have done something stupid. However what is done is done. I accecpt and understand what happen. btw ignis i looked for a trial of 3ds max on good for about an hour all i got was "update your 3ds max now with 3ds max 6. thats when i posted here.. and well the rest is history..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Mark

Co-Founder, 3rd Era
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 08-09-2004 01:00 AM Post subject:

where u get that warning??? is that the one u got for mvam 2 being late?

cds7318

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: 08-09-2004 01:14 AM Post subject:

nah, i got that one for defending myself remember?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Mark

Co-Founder, 3rd Era
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 08-09-2004 01:16 AM Post subject:

Rolling Eyes oh yeh Razz

Nebula

CA/KM/BCS:TC Mod Team Member

Post Posted: 08-09-2004 01:16 AM Post subject:

Rolling Eyes

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Durandal

Commodore
Commodore

Post Posted: 08-09-2004 01:29 AM Post subject:

cds7318 wrote:
Okay, First i'd like to thank Matsch-Klon, Strayhero and hq for sticking up for me. I'd also like to thank sim and Durandal for anwering my pms. now about the topic at hand. I should have been more clear on my request. I never said i was looking for a trial but i figured anyone who read that would know thats what i meant. I didn't mean to disrespeact these forums. As a matter of fact i've tryed very hard to help out with anything i could. I surly wouldn't have done something stupid. However what is done is done. I accecpt and understand what happen. btw ignis i looked for a trial of 3ds max on good for about an hour all i got was "update your 3ds max now with 3ds max 6. thats when i posted here.. and well the rest is history..

I realize that your intent was honorable, but you must be extremely specific when asking for a download of any software because the policy on warez is very strict. Anything as ambiguous as that post was has to receive a warning. I'm actually sorry I had to give you one, but Raven wants us to enforce these things harshly.

No worries though, it comes off in 30 days and everyone knows it wasn't intentional. Your reputation isn't at stake, trust me. Wink

Upward to heaven it rebounds from the blow.
When the count sees it never will be broke,
Then to himself right softly he makes moan;
'Ah, Durandal, fair, hallowed, and devote,
What store of relics lies in thy hilt of gold!'"

-From The Song of Roland
(Translated by Dorothy Sayers, Viking Penguin, NY, NY, 1957)

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 08-09-2004 01:35 AM Post subject:

You cannot fault my staff for being vigilant on this issue. I have beat them over thier heads with zero tolerance on Warez, and they are simply acting in my stead. We do not issue instant bans for Warez. A warning is trivial, but it reminds everyone that a commercial company owns this site.

Sometimes a little heads up is good for everyone.

At any rate, any comments about the harshness of our policy should be directed to me. I wrote it after all.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Mark

Co-Founder, 3rd Era
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 08-09-2004 01:38 AM Post subject:

so if I were to say that i thought that this was harsh, even though only a warning cds has never been a troublesome member.. i cause more trouble then he and ive never had a warning ever.. it seems damaging to the community now that there are so few of us left that ppl who arent actually doing nething wrong are being given warnings so easily.. any kind of punishment is designed to demoralize. would i be given a warning or a ban for saying that?

while i understand ur possistion maybe clarifying cds' postition would have saved any kind of confusion. you can be harsh without punishing ppl. and u can show strictness without punishing ppl that "might" be in violation

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 08-09-2004 02:19 AM Post subject:

Ignis wrote:
so if I were to say that i thought that this was harsh, even though only a warning cds has never been a troublesome member.. i cause more trouble then he and ive never had a warning ever.. it seems damaging to the community now that there are so few of us left that ppl who arent actually doing nething wrong ang being given warnings so easily.. and kind of punishment is designed to demoralize. would i be givena warning or a ban for saying that?

while i understand ur possistion maybe clarifying cds' postition would have saved any kind of confusion. you can be harsh without punishing ppl. and u can show strictness without punishing ppl that "might" be in violation

I understand your comment, and this argument has been made before. I do what works. In ten years of doing this I have found what works and what doesn't. The day that I see my method no longer works, you can bet I will change it. Until then it remains as is.

And no, you would not receive a warning for saying you think I am a pr*ck. I know I am a pr*ck. I am so others don't have to be. I am used to being the bad guy.......unfortunately someone has to be.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Mark

Co-Founder, 3rd Era
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 08-09-2004 02:28 AM Post subject:

I dont think ur a pr*ck.. i dont think ur a pr*ck because you gave me a chance to put my POV across.

neway late night dilema again, and flys keep flying up my nose Razz so id better say g'nite Smile

Makotokat

Resident Doodler and Bridge Sweeper
Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Zodiac: Scorpio

Post Posted: 08-09-2004 02:32 AM Post subject:

I have to agree with Raven. I do freelance 3D work from time to time as a Truespace Modeler. Bought and paid for I might add. Gmax, Milkshape and even old versions of TS are available out there. Check out Computer Arts magazine for good demos and Full Programs. I got my TS2 from CAM and upgraded to 4.3 for a hell of a lot less than buyinging it on it's own. I have sold animations and only use my programs to do so. I bought an old copy of max3.1 from a friend who recieved a new version 6, but I don't use it for profit due to 3rd party sales ethics. The law is grey in that area and I only use it for fun. I WORK in TS4.3

Anyone using warez or cracked copies of software beware. If you try to use them for profit the company who you STOLE from will come down on you like a ton of bricks, and you'll deserve everything you get. And they can find out.....

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 08-09-2004 03:00 AM Post subject:

You aint whistling dixie.............when these guys come to our office, not only do they know who is using the network licences for our Max 5.1 licence, they know the exact licence for each system AND how often the program is used. They can pull all of this up from thier remote at thier HQ. They can also tell us which licence made which model....it is scary.

Max leaves system and version markers on ALL meshes it makes. That means they can track you down if you use an illegal version of the program and release the mesh or sell it.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Matsch-Klon

yo' 'aj
yo' 'aj

Post Posted: 08-09-2004 03:02 AM Post subject:

Kooj, people, the last think I wanted is to start a discussion about warez. Now we have exactly what Raven didn't want. I donly wanted to point out that cds7318 might have been misunderstood.

Now that that's all cleared up, I suggest somebody close this thread. Or better yet, delete every response.

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 08-09-2004 03:05 AM Post subject:

Don't get me wrong guys, I appreciate the feedback and welcome it. He apologized, and it looks like he may have in fact been looking for a trial........the policy is strict and clear however. Unless a trial or demo is clearly stated, all requests related to warez in any fashion must receive a warning.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

cds7318

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: 08-09-2004 03:12 AM Post subject:

and you have my word next time i need help finding a trial it'll say "trial"

Pegasus

Resident Irishman
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Zodiac: Aquarius

Post Posted: 08-10-2004 01:01 AM Post subject:

Well here....http://www4.discreet.com/3dsmax/3dsmax.php?id=403

and while were on the matter... check this out for POWER in Max7

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Viper

Darth Viperus
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Zodiac: Libra

Post Posted: 08-10-2004 01:41 AM Post subject:

Id like to say, that myself, I have Max 3.1, Max 4, and Max 6. I also have TS4. And I can tell you they are not all legal. But they are also not illegal. My max 4, which is not currently installed is a trial. My TS was given to me by a very well respected modeler and graphic artist, for the specific purpose of gaining access to his meshes for reference [and it was compensation for a mesh I made for him]. My max 3.1 and 6 are both legal copies. I downloaded both from Discreet, and I was lucky enough to be able to get a student license.

You dont have to have top of the line software to do modding. When I began in 3d, I used a VERY VERY old program designed for nothing more than the modding of SFC2. I still have the program, which was a free program. and it worked wonders. But because I have increased in my useage of 3d programs, and I have begun to do contract work, I had no choice but to break down, and buy programs. i have had to buy both Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator for textures, and other graphics I USED to do. I have invested a great deal of funds into my setup. Between my new computer and its programs, I work on litterally a $10,000 plus computer.

Simple solution guys, just dont do it. I study law right now. I can tell you that stealing a program, for no other use than to make FREE mods for a computer video game, is about the dumbest move you will ever make. Its not worth ruining your lives, having a criminal, felony record, and having that record, along with prison time follow you around in everything you do, just because you werent happy with milkshape. I've used milkshape. Trust me, its WELL worth it in the grand scheme. Dont be stupid about this, guys. Cause I would hate to have to be ont eh other end of the cuffs when you get cought. Cause I will have no sympathy what so ever.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

USSCyclops

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Zodiac: Pisces

Post Posted: 08-10-2004 02:29 AM Post subject:

boy that was power full viper

Viper

Darth Viperus
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Zodiac: Libra

Post Posted: 08-10-2004 02:41 AM Post subject:

its been a rough day, so I went a little long winded. But its how i truely feel on the subject. And being in the law enforcement community, I can tell you, it doesnt matter how well known you are, or how much I like you, I got no problem slappin on the silver bracelets.

TeraByte

Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Post Posted: 08-10-2004 06:47 AM Post subject:

Granted, warez isn't very good, but there are so many corporate jacka**es (excuse the language) out there raising prices of software to ridiculous levels in an effort to increase their paychecks, that sometimes piracy is thought of as a method which levels the playing field. Most warez is not distributed for financial gain by unscrupulous individuals looking for a quick buck. But, like they say, warez is no good for any software company.

Such is the reason why I, like many others, are all for open-source software. Sure, it may take away business from other companies, but business is based on competition anyway, so if someone can offer a more attractive alternative to commercial software, then so be it. It's exactly the same as competition in the marketplace. I like to think of it as a big "SCREW YOU!" to all those moronic executives trying to rip off decent, hardworking people.

Click Here to Visit My Website!

I'm a man of few words...... any questions?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger