BCU main page Bridge Commander Universe
...welcome to the new world.

FAQFAQ  RanksRanks  RulesRules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Staff SiteStaff Site    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with Galaxy refit for BC2......
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bridge Commander Universe Forum Index -> BC2 Project
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Armondikov

Tan tan ta ra, tzing boom!

Zodiac: Cancer

Post Posted: 02-05-2005 04:46 PM Post subject:

Lovin' your work.

uff-tslaura

Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Post Posted: 02-08-2005 08:04 AM Post subject: not liking

just my opinion on both the galaxy refits, i think they look like great models and great work, now for the bad side, i don't like that there galaxy refits as they both tend to lean way more to a sov blending than just a galaxy refit, the galaxy wasn't a battle ship it was designed more for the missions seen on the shows and just happened to pack a good punch but needed great commanding and a great crew to make it the best ship in the fleet. personally i like the classic looks of the ships

Nebula

CA/KM/BCS:TC Mod Team Member

Zodiac: Gemini

Post Posted: 02-08-2005 09:26 PM Post subject:

which BC2 can't have...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

uff-tslaura

Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Post Posted: 02-08-2005 10:02 PM Post subject: don't get that

i don't get the legality of bc2 not being able to have the reference ships as there not producing the mod to make money, i know raven got some kind of permission to make bc2 but if it is a mod it is just that a mod, and not like totally games is on the ball to release anything new or better , they had a great thing started and look at what the mods made the game do "things they said it couldn't" imagine what having the source code would have allowed or if they put the effort into a game like bc that half life or unreal gets

edit- if you look at the mods i am shocked at what was accomplished with the ships, effects and nanofx, imagine if just some of the people were being payed to make the things they have done for this game then it would probably look like a tv show in live action.

Strayhero

I'm mad
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: 02-09-2005 09:05 PM Post subject: Re: don't get that

uff-tslaura wrote:
i don't get the legality of bc2 not being able to have the reference ships

then don't try and contradict it....

uff-tslaura

Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Post Posted: 02-09-2005 09:17 PM Post subject: Re: don't get that

Strayhero wrote:
uff-tslaura wrote:
i don't get the legality of bc2 not being able to have the reference ships

then don't try and contradict it....

dont contradict what?

Rusty0918

Captain
Captain

Zodiac: Virgo

Post Posted: 02-19-2005 05:50 AM Post subject:

Thsoe variants are somewhat reminiscent of those variants you can do in Starship Creator.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Post Posted: 02-19-2005 12:05 PM Post subject:

I doubt. I never had it

LC

mark117

Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

Zodiac: Sagittarius

Post Posted: 02-19-2005 10:37 PM Post subject:

yeah,they never looked quite right in starship creator,they didnt blend well.

neomatrix724

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Zodiac: Leo

Post Posted: 05-23-2005 04:24 AM Post subject: My 2 cents,

I don't have much in terms of concept art or anything, but i have a rather good visual image in my head. (pardon me on that but "dammit i'm a video editor not an artist")

Your goal overall is to come up with a galaxy refit. If you think about it, yeah the Galaxy class has a tremendous volume which isnt entirely conducive to a war time effort. However, if a refit was needed, you would theoretically want to better allocate the use of that phase. Starfleet was also working on other innovations for a war time scenario, MVAM. The galaxy class already had this to a certain extent.

My idea was to have the ships be almost completely seperate. Instead of working on an integrated design it would be much more effective to have a "permanent" seperation of the 2 components and then beef each one up. Raven's concept saucer (the more recent ones) look like it can accomplish just that. Stardrive seems it could use some work.

So if you have 7 galaxy classes and you apply the refit, well you now have 14 fieldable ships which I think is a much more effective solution.

While on random ideas...you could have a "joint cannon" of sorts. Where each section of the ship (saucer and stardrive) contain specific parts of the cannon. If the ship comes up against a vessel that it can't effectively combat as 2 ships, it could merge and bring the cannon to bear like artillery.

Yea it's random, lemme know what you think. Great work thus far!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Zodiac: Taurus

Post Posted: 05-25-2005 10:22 PM Post subject: Re: My 2 cents,

neomatrix724 wrote:
I don't have much in terms of concept art or anything, but i have a rather good visual image in my head. (pardon me on that but "dammit i'm a video editor not an artist")

Your goal overall is to come up with a galaxy refit. If you think about it, yeah the Galaxy class has a tremendous volume which isnt entirely conducive to a war time effort. However, if a refit was needed, you would theoretically want to better allocate the use of that phase. Starfleet was also working on other innovations for a war time scenario, MVAM. The galaxy class already had this to a certain extent.

My idea was to have the ships be almost completely seperate. Instead of working on an integrated design it would be much more effective to have a "permanent" seperation of the 2 components and then beef each one up. Raven's concept saucer (the more recent ones) look like it can accomplish just that. Stardrive seems it could use some work.

So if you have 7 galaxy classes and you apply the refit, well you now have 14 fieldable ships which I think is a much more effective solution.

While on random ideas...you could have a "joint cannon" of sorts. Where each section of the ship (saucer and stardrive) contain specific parts of the cannon. If the ship comes up against a vessel that it can't effectively combat as 2 ships, it could merge and bring the cannon to bear like artillery.

Yea it's random, lemme know what you think. Great work thus far!

That's good. I would say that the problem is that I found a suitable design....but it was not mine. It is a perfect modification, having exactly what I feel the ship needs, but translating it into something fresh without violating the original artist's work is difficult.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Bridge Commander Universe
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

UPD Equinox

TERTIARY ADJUNCT Y-8
TERTIARY ADJUNCT Y-8

Zodiac: Capricorn

Post Posted: 05-26-2005 12:24 AM Post subject:

Has anyone thought about doing a galaxy/nova variant. Some of the orignial meshs that Raven did of the sov/galaxy varient reminded me of the nova, with the indented bit at the front of the saucer. Just a thought.
I think you could do the stardrive attaching directly onto the saucer sction without the neck (like on the nova) except without looking stubby. Raven did say he wanted the neck shortened. I think the gal/sov doesnt fit. the galaxy is like wide and short and the sov is long and thin, so making a mix just makes it kinda look too squarish. I dunno how to explain, i just think the proportions look too 'perfect' when you put the two together.