BCU main page Bridge Commander Universe
...welcome to the new world.

FAQFAQ  RanksRanks  RulesRules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Staff SiteStaff Site    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Intersite Relations Director announcement-Censorship

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bridge Commander Universe Forum Index -> Forum Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  

starforce2

BCU Intersite Relations Director

Zodiac: Libra

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 07:33 AM Post subject: Intersite Relations Director announcement-Censorship

Due to censorship activity by gamingfiles admins at
http://www.gamingforums.com/index.php?

Nightsoft will boycott them at the end of the week. This issue stems from the deletion and warning of mebers posting links to temporary forums during BCU's downtime, and even people posting BCU links in their sigs. Additionaly, they're response was insulting. We apparently do not provide a service other than to leech members. This applies directly to BCU, but would happen if someone were to post a unity forums link in their sig. Infact, it affects every major community whose main roots fall outside of gamingfiles. Communities such as Armada, which is primarily based at AFC and SGN, as well as SFC (SFC3.net and ex-taldren (now dynaverse). Even if someone asks where all the modders are, as in this post,
http://www.gamingforums.com/showthread.php?t=156664
You get censored for it. I had a post in this thread deleted, and a warning sent to my PM box. I undeleted the post as soon as I learned of it. What's funny is the staff member who sent the warnign has a Bush sig. Apparently, promotion of a presidential canadate (the exsistancec of which probably p***es off most of the non-americans there) is more important than a sig which promotes gaming, which is the whole purpose of their forum. They lack common sense in enforcement of tyrannical regulations and definetly have a issue with their priorities. I envite everyone in the SFC and armada community, as well as any other who's roots started outside of gamingfiles, trek or otherwise, to fight this. Please send a clean, intilligent gripe to:
pr@filefront.com
if you support our cause. This boycott will affect any game with nighsoft products, such as the BC2 models which will be shared with SFC and Armada, and any mods which include them. This means they will not be allowed on SFC3files.com, for example. Please post a copy of your email below.

=====Remeber, keep the language clean. This is not a hate campaign against the gamingfiles forum, not are we trying to "destroy" them. This is a movement asking for fair treatment and change. =====

Below is my letter:
Well, we recently had a forum called BCU fail, due to major server malfunction. This is a major part of Bridge commander modding and the community in general. When people set up temporary forums and posted them in their sigs, or in posts, to help get the word out and keep various groups and projects together, they were censored by the gaming forums admins under a “no advertising” rule. Now, while I agree with such a rule, at some point common sense should play a role here. If it is game related, I don't see why it cannot be advertised. BCU is a part of our modding community. Now perhaps in some gaming communities, different sites/forums and seen as different entitles and thus competitors, and perhaps it is like that in some instances in BC as well, but for the most part, BC is one community which spans several sites. BCU, Bcfiles, and the gaming forums should be working together. By not doing so, they are making themselves a competitor by their censorship actions. I guarantee if BCU and file front forums become competitors, the result will not be good for gaming forums. Here is the reply when I went through files network channels on this:

==========================================================================
Clans and mods are allowed to advertise as they offer a type of service to the community. Those signatures were censored because they had a competitive site listed in it, which because of others trying to leech off of our large community, was banned. So, yet again I need to make an exception for this community? You’re not being exactly fair about it, making exceptions will mean I’ll have issues with others about this issue in the same respect you brought it to me asking why clans and mods can advertise.

If this is strictly BCU forums, then why not create a thread and post these temp forums that were setup instead of having them in the signatures? One of the mods can make it a sticky so it’s at the top of whatever forum you added it to.

Thanks,
Jeff 'n0e' Mills
FileFront Community Manager
FileFront – http://www.filefront.com
Email – jeff@filefront.com
========================================================================
So basically what this man is saying is that those who were posting links to these new child forums were not providing a service to the community, and advertising BCU apparently does not provide a service, or perhaps BCU itself does not provide a service, all of which are absurd and rather disrespectful. All of the Major mods that make bridge commander gamming what it is today came from BCU, not gaming forums, and ended up on Bcfiles. To return to the question posed above, as to why we didn’t group them all together in one thread, is, well, a 2 part answer. Firstly, we though that gaming related material in sigs was ok, and advertising such material within the forums for such a game was also acceptable, or at the very least the admins would have the common sense to leave it alone for the time being, so we never really felt the need as staff to step in. That brings me to thee second part of the answer, which is to say we figured it more effective to let the community spread the word itself, rather than a couple of moderators attempting to do so. Again, our faith in the administration has been apparently misplaced.
Not only does BCU’s direct accomplishments to BC, which I will list a few of below, account for a massive amount of why BC is the way it is today, it has brought different sections of the BC community, such as Bcfiles, so close together, they now operate as if they were a single, seamless organization. Additionally, the Bridge commander community encourages this cooperation that spans the boundaries of the communities themselves, as a lot of what BC is today is also the result of work in other communities. Communities such as Starfleet Command Taldren and Dynaverse forums for many of the ship models, conversion experts, skilled modelers, and even the famous Atolm, a 2D ship designer, to Startrek Armada and SGN for quality, low poly stock and fan made 3d models, Klingon Academy community, and even Homeworld, a non-trek based space game, who’s ships also grace the skies of Bridge Commander. Models and work even flow from BCU back to these contributors where game engine limitations do not prevent it. Think Gaming files can successfully compete with this, with the selfish attitude displayed above with the general idea that all we are good for is leeching members? Have they never watched Star Trek? Might I recommend the Star Trek motion picture “Undiscovered Country”, which teaches the Vulcan principal of IDIC; Infinite diversity, Infinite Combinations.
The List of accomplishments
*The Foundation: A mod, which permits the adding of custom sounds, maps, bridges, missions, ships and many more changes.-24,437 downloads before merger with BCMP
*BCMP-(BC mod packer) An automated program utility, scratch built, which essentially “-proofs” the functions of the foundation, negating the need for manual editing of the scripts and plugging files, based on interface of a star trek bridge console. It checks for missing files to prevent game crashes, and also Creates Bcmod files, a unique archive that contains all files for a mod. -63,786 downloads
*BCMI-(BC mod installer) Installs Bcmod files, which automatically places the needed files in the correct folders within the game to prevent installation mistakes, also made to look like a bridge console.-42,142 downloads
*Dreamyards (or it’s members individually)- (a major modding team) This team has brought many high quality ships to the game, both of custom design and of canon design. They continue to dazzle us to date, pushing the in game quality of ship models ever closer to that of the episodes they appeared in. They also span communities, giving their models over to the SFC community. They’ve also helped with new vessel bridges, and now are producing BC2 models. -43,548 downloads, just counting the bridges and the Excalibur class.
*Unimatrix One- (Modding team) The original BC mod team, the now defunct Unimatrix-One was once the most prolific single-ship producer in the community, out pacing all other production efforts combined at the peak of it’s reign. It’s leader, Darkdrone, still releases, is best known for Borg, and is also involved in the back-and-forth trade of ships between BC and SFC. –Downloads estimated in the several tens of thousands of downloads.
*Starforce Productions-My personal modding “group”. Usually it’s just me though. I’ve brought nearly 100 ships to BC directly, many of which come from other communities such as SFC, KA, Armada, and even the CGI communities. Additionally, I promote designs made by fans, or from other games and sources that can’t be directly converted, by convincing authors to make or remake them in stunning quality. The results are legends in the community, like the Armada Romulan Raptor class and Federation Premonition class, brought to BC, as well as SFC, in stunning detail. -Downloads estimated to be several tens of thousands.
*Rick Knox-A famous modeler in general, He replaced all of the stock federation models in BC with high quality replacements of the same vessel. Galaxy and it’s future upgrade, Sovereign, Akira, Nebula, and Ambassador, and Klingon B’rel. Also, his intrepid, Movie era Enterprise, and NX-01 Enterprise models are equally enjoyed.-100,575 Downloads tracking the newest release of the afore mentioned vessels, only. (How about them apples?!)
*Nanofx2-This mod revolutionized nearly all visual FX in game, such as sounds, weapon hit FX, engine leaks, flashing marker lights, more accurate sun glows, improved sound FX, improved explosions sequences, detonation shockwaves, and debris that fly about when a ship is destroyed, just to name a few. –20,010 Downloads
Sneaker’s MVAM-Allows the Galaxy class to separate in game, as in the show, and permits the Prometheus to split into its 3 attack sections at assault the enemy. –11,507 Downloads.
*Nightsofts BC2-An ambitions new mod that drastically changes the game, nearly everything legally editable will be changed. New ships, missions, and in game movies for starters. –8965 downloads, based on 7 ships for BC2 currently available to the public.
*Chris Jones and Dasher maps-high quality system maps, some based on real star systems, and a complete Earth solar system, with major moons, ringed planets, and nav-points to travel within.-12,416 downloads, based on 3 map mods.
Just incase you weren’t keeping score, that’s 327,368 downloads, counting only the most up to date releases only, not factoring in Unimatrix one and Starforce Productions. It is extremely likely the BCU forum as a single entity is responsible for a million plus downloads by thousands of people through out it’s history.
The way I understand things, Gaming files and files network are not here to compete, they are here to support the games and their communities, and to support a community you can’t be selfish and discourage reasonable promotion of other community sites in areas easily visible to community members, such as signature links or clickable graphics. Having Admins who choose to engage in negative, anti-community behavior, in a major players time of need flies in the face of common sense and good business practice. If they really are afraid that advertising other forums for a given game will deplete their membership, perhaps they should look to themselves and examine their operation for the answer as to why people would want to leave in the first place. There is absolutely no reason why game related forums couldn’t be post in a member sig, or in the forum for said game, rather than some out of the way advertising forum that will never reach the intended audiences. Keep that place for all ads that have nothing to do with the games the forums support, like personal home pages. Yes, that’s right, we’re not asking for special treatment for our community, we are asking for it on behalf of ALL of them.
I would like to close by saying I have written this email over the period of a couple of days, while keeping tabs on the CC’ed mailed from Pro-Filer of the exchange between him and Noe. I was alarmed to see that Noe even competes with his partners, by saying Pro’s contradictory opinion (which supports my cause) “aren’t helping matters, at all” (Direct quote), and that I apparently also have an “Arrogant attitude” (another direct quote). Apparently, that’s what standing up for one’s is called around here. So be it! Some of it, perhaps, is still animosity over an issue that took place about a year ago when our staff forum was deleted with all the others for non-use, with no warning to me what so ever, (Apparently the little column that shows how many threads and posts are in a given sub forum wasn’t big enough to see) throwing site operations into chaos right before the Christmas holiday and destroying important records like the ban/warning list thread. This resulted in a flame war between a couple of the admins and myself. Perhaps they think that this issue I am making now is some form of payback. I’ve since taken the staff forum to a private location, under my direct control and consider that issue a dead one. The point of this is not payback, but change. IDIC.
Sincerely,
Starforce2
Bcfiles Manager

P.S.
I’ve just recently been warned by an admin for giving a link to another user on the forum.
http://www.gamingforums.com/showthread.php?t=156664
I’ve undeleted the admins deletion, however, it should be interesting to note the person who gave me a warning has a George Bush sig. Any forum that claims to be a gaming forum, which allows the promotion of a Political candidate in a sig over fallow entities within a gaming community, has a serious issue with it’s priorities.

=============================================
Just to prove my point (sorry Mihail..nothing personal to you or George Bush)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

starforce2

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 07:36 AM Post subject:

It's interesting to note that at this hour Unity forums (where WaterTiger is based) is acting on this, and their admin is not pleased about gamingfiles actions. If more communities, especialy armada and Dynaverse pick this up as well, I'll let everyone know.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

Scouse_Commander

The only Scouse in Starfleet
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Zodiac: Sagittarius

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 10:40 AM Post subject:

They had the ordassity to say that BCU does not provide a service other than to leech members? That is an absolute disgrace, BCU is the heart of the Bridge Commander Community, places like this is what make the Bridge Commander world live on. This is a place of great achievement, look at all of the amazing things that are going on for example, BC2!

And why did they think the links in the sig where competitive sites, no they are not, how could they be competitve if they cannot get a financial gain from it? This is not a forum for McDonalds and someone has a link in their signature to Burger King lol Mad !

Grrr thats only the tip of the iceberg Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad

EDIT: Oh and If BCU was here to leech members then why haven't i got a link in my sig to some site?!!!!

William Shakespeare

Currently exploring the Arachnid Nebula

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Zodiac: Taurus

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 10:56 AM Post subject:

They are taking the Wal-Mart approach. I find it likely that

A. Other than a forum, this board has contributed ZERO to the community.
B. Charges for the service.

Well, my goal was to buy to unite, or negotiate to unite......and im pretty close to that goal. I never intended to 'rule' persay, as I am a specific leader, and the community needs broad leadership. I know next to nothing about clans, EF, the Armada community, scripting.........shall i go on? Like myself, this site has no qualification to exist as a czar.

At any rate, it is my hope they see the error of thier ways.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Bridge Commander Universe
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 10:59 AM Post subject:

Scouse_Commander wrote:
They had the ordassity to say that BCU does not provide a service other than to leech members? That is an absolute disgrace, BCU is the heart of the Bridge Commander Community, places like this is what make the Bridge Commander world live on. This is a place of great achievement, look at all of the amazing things that are going on for example, BC2!

And why did they think the links in the sig where competitive sites, no they are not, how could they be competitve if they cannot get a financial gain from it? This is not a forum for McDonalds and someone has a link in their signature to Burger King lol Mad !

Grrr thats only the tip of the iceberg Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad

EDIT: Oh and If BCU was here to leech members then why haven't i got a link in my sig to some site?!!!!

Heh, well, I feel that BCFiles is the heart, and we are the soul. Victor would have to be the glue that keeps us all on the same page.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

WaterTiger

Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 12:59 PM Post subject:

STGD is joining you in this boycott, Raven.

http://www.stcd.sgnonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=55403&no=1#55403

I need to yap at you when you get a chance.

Star Trek: The First Contact: "We've made too many compromises already. They invade our space, and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds, and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn -- *here*. This far! No farther!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Pegasus

Resident Irishman
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Zodiac: Aquarius

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 02:16 PM Post subject:

Well... isnt that a load of.... (Not sure if I should finish that sentance)

Why do they want to keep people anyway and bad advertising, they're not getting payed or charging people to use their sites.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

WaterTiger

Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 02:56 PM Post subject:

Starforce, I need to talk to you on TeamSpeak today about this and some other stuff. Later today, please.

Star Trek: The First Contact: "We've made too many compromises already. They invade our space, and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds, and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn -- *here*. This far! No farther!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

WaterTiger

Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 03:32 PM Post subject:

Quote:
Re: Removal of Nightsoft products from BCFiles....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by Raven Night
We have instructed the Admin for BCFiles to remove all owned Nightsoft products from the site, including NanoFX and all BC2 models. This is due to the apparant censoring by this board of our company name, sites or EULA, which is a direct violation of the aformentioned EULA. There is no reason that we should allow Gaming Forums to benefit from the traffic that is created by Nightsoft products. This ban will remain in effect until such time as this forum reverses its policy with respect to advertising other forums and links.

http://www.gamingforums.com/showthread.php?t=157413

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause our patrons.After careful consideration on our part, we have allowed a special exception to our no-advertising rules for the bridge commander forums we have here on gamingforums.com

As long as it's related to anything star trek: bridge commander, it will be allowed.

Just posted 12 minutes ago.

You win Raven!

Whoopie!

Victor1st

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 04:14 PM Post subject:

Raven Night wrote:
Victor would have to be the glue that keeps us all on the same page.

eh? Surprised

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 04:37 PM Post subject:

Victor1st wrote:
Raven Night wrote:
Victor would have to be the glue that keeps us all on the same page.

eh? Surprised

My failed attempt at sounding wise.....something I should probably not attempt lol. I meant to say together, but it transformed into two sayings in one somehow......oof.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Victor1st

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 04:59 PM Post subject:

rofl, i could just imagine what would happen Raven if me and you teamed up even just for a week.

There would be severe wailing and gnashing of teeth and tales of "woe is me! the end of the trek gaming world is near!".

...sounds like fun Evil or Very Mad

Jeffrey Walker

Captain
Captain

Zodiac: Gemini
Location: Homosassa, Florida, United States of America, Earth, Sol System, Sector 001

Post Posted: 11-01-2004 06:59 PM Post subject:

I think this is all craziness cant people just compromise.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Armondikov

Tan tan ta ra, tzing boom!

Zodiac: Cancer

Post Posted: 11-03-2004 08:17 PM Post subject:

... I really don't spend much time on the net do I? This has gone over my head completely Razz

Anyway, while I agree with anti-advertising rules I think they should really only be restricted to comercial ads and similar things. People post their links to their websites all the time, they're signatures anyway, you don't HAVE to pay attention to them.

starforce2

Post Posted: 01-06-2005 07:16 AM Post subject:

Jeffrey Walker wrote:
I think this is all craziness cant people just compromise.

Well, technicly there is a compromise, because while advertising is allowed when needed, if people start just randomly promoting BCU or really any other site excessivley or just for the saake of posting they'll still be in trouble for spamming. If they hadn't been so rude in their excuse by basicly saying BCU serves no purpose other than to leech members I perhaps would have tried to take care of this myself. That kind of sh*t just showed me they were nothing but ***holes. Ofcourse, some of the way the staff behaves over there says that already. Is aw one admin spit out "b****" in a post to someone spamming. Not that sevearly either. Violates their own staff code of conduct as well as rules they're supposed to enforce. ***holes.

MLeo

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Zodiac: Aquarius

Post Posted: 01-06-2005 11:33 AM Post subject:

Now I remember why I don't visit there anymore...

Apart from that there where some other issue's...
Incredibly slow forums (it took more than 20 seconds to load a page on my ADSL (T1 grade) connection).
The forum was flooded with newbies who took the entire front page with the same question for which the anwser they bumped off the main page (clearly labeld).

And some other things...
But that was several months ago (maybe a year?), I suppose things have changed by now.

How to beat the Black Screen Of Death and Script problems Also handles Console/Screen/Error report/dump.
BC Technical FAQ [Last updated 26/12/2005]
"Trust me, I'm a con artist" - Moist von Lipwig, "Going Postal, Discworld"

starforce2

Post Posted: 01-29-2005 03:13 PM Post subject:

the forum looks like crap again, they changed the style. They wont ban maleki, despite his constant flamming and thread hijacking and site admins such as myself can't do it. I think they are doing that just cuz they don't like me..lol

JimmyB76

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Zodiac: Leo

Post Posted: 01-29-2005 07:11 PM Post subject:

starforce2 wrote:
That kind of sh*t just showed me they were nothing but assholes. Ofcourse, some of the way the staff behaves over there says that already. Is aw one admin spit out "b****" in a post to someone spamming. Not that sevearly either. Violates their own staff code of conduct as well as rules they're supposed to enforce. Assholes.

that is EXACTLY the way i feel...