BCU main page Bridge Commander Universe
...welcome to the new world.

FAQFAQ  RanksRanks  RulesRules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Staff SiteStaff Site    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This ship could 'live long and prosper' with a little help..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bridge Commander Universe Forum Index -> BC Modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Mouse140

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Zodiac: Pisces

Post Posted: 02-07-2007 02:00 AM Post subject: This ship could 'live long and prosper' with a little help..

Mainly i need suggestions.... Please excuse 'trek physics' problems, i've never really been a hardcore trekkie. Err, anyway..
I have basic plotline ideas as to why the vulcans would introduce a 'battle'cruiser so please bear with me.
Vulcans being a peacefull people would have rarely if any use to upgrade starships, except perhaps to improve effecency here and there, but around the time of the dominion war (please excuse major timeline inacuracies)
and with frequent problems and run in's with the romulans i would figure numerous crusiers would of gotten past any defense they had with burly a scratch, due to the vulcan non-violent nature and probably fleet of considerably out-of-date. therby making it official that it was only 'logical' to introduce a complete replacement. and with the romulans, dominion, BORG and numerous other shady cherecters out there, i would figure it would meet with little argument.
First and foremost it would be a defense cruiser (thing galaxy but more modern and overpowered... just in case), shields and armor would be VERY strong, weapons would be comprable to a sovereign, with the major diffrence of being strongly biased towards defense, torpedo/long range weapons would be notably lacking, impulse engines would be sturdy and powerfull and my modernized ringdrive would essentaly be two primary engines with a connected secondary one wraping around it for a extremly strong warp field to allow for nearly absurd ammounts of time at very high warp, to allow it to get to areas were assistance is required very quickly.

Suggestions? comments? flames? Confused Question Twisted Evil

SuperSmeg

TERTIARY 1
TERTIARY 1

Zodiac: Sagittarius

Post Posted: 02-07-2007 02:52 AM Post subject:

Suggestion: I like the idea and the excution of the model so far but a little bit more practice never hurt anyone.

Comment: Glad you not doing a Feddie ship. We could use more vulcan ships in BC. Nice job.

Flames: are hot Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Nebula

CA/KM/BCS:TC Mod Team Member

Zodiac: Gemini

Post Posted: 02-07-2007 03:07 AM Post subject:

WOW now that Vulcan ship looks great.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Mouse140

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 02-07-2007 03:42 AM Post subject:

please do not assume i am a noob to modeling just because i have 8 posts on this forum. I have been doing 3D work for quite a while. The ship is simple for a couple reasons so far firstly, i figured i'd get advised before i went much further by people that have some idea what might 'fly' and what might not in this universe,, secondly i'm pretty sure any swoops and stylish lines on vulcan ships would be meerly coincedental, vulcans aren't known for there creativity.... i think.
Well that and it's not done.
design/suggestions?

Paegus

Mechanical Gimp
Ensign
Ensign

Post Posted: 02-07-2007 12:40 PM Post subject:

i actually like the blocky feel of it. practical, elegant and in keeping with their form follows function approach. and lets not forget that fluid dynamics don't really apply in space at all now do they?

the tail end looks vaguely defiant-ish

your back story does quite match up though. as a defensive ship it wouldn't need to be at warp for extended periods of time as it'll be stationed where it'll be defending. could tweak it to be a very powerful warp field to allow for extreme high velocity bursts to get from point a to b in-system. or they did something technobabbly and tied the shield generator into the warp field to boost output, allowing them to extend shields much more than normal to cover other less well protected ships or installations... or something like that.

also the vulcans are fairly major players in the federation i'd have thought and will be well defended by fed ships wouldn't they? but don't let that stop you.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Mouse140

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 02-07-2007 05:44 PM Post subject:

the vulcans are major players in the federation, and i'm sure vulcan would be well defended, but it's also probably that due to thier state of always trying to stay out of the affairs of the galaxy and as a planet and as a local society generally keep to themselves(or so i would guess fron various trek episodes). but i'm sure a general purpose cruiser wich could be reconfigured for any number of purposes, wich can also aptly defend itself and instalations isn't at all unlikely.. I've never seen any federation ships with strictly vulcan crews either. You know a couple of fleets would be nessecary. Besides, Vulcan has it's own agenda everyone in the galaxy does....

Imperial_Destroyer

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Zodiac: Sagittarius

Post Posted: 02-07-2007 07:11 PM Post subject:

There is one DS9 episode where a Nebbie with a full vulcan crew challenges Sisko to a game of baseball

Mouse140

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 02-07-2007 08:00 PM Post subject:

heh, oh ya i forgot about that.... well trek needs more vulcan ships so i choose to continue. lol.

USS Vortex

Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

Zodiac: Scorpio

Post Posted: 02-07-2007 08:03 PM Post subject:

Looks good. Can't wait to see it in game.

Mouse140

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 02-07-2007 09:59 PM Post subject:

more updates. shrank the back some, lowered the front, removed the torpedo pods completely (everything should look flush or purpose-full) added a main rear shuttly bay, stretched the primary warp engines...

Mouse140

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 02-09-2007 04:26 AM Post subject:

noone has any suggestions?

Nebula

CA/KM/BCS:TC Mod Team Member

Post Posted: 02-09-2007 02:58 PM Post subject:

heh it looks great the way it is Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Legacy

Ensign
Ensign

Zodiac: Capricorn

Post Posted: 02-09-2007 03:30 PM Post subject:

Try posting it at BCC, most of us modellers are there these days.. lol

Life is change.

Paegus

Mechanical Gimp
Ensign
Ensign

Post Posted: 02-09-2007 05:35 PM Post subject:

see if you can continue the thin rim around to the cavity.

have you tried having 4 pylons connecting the hull to the warp coil? 2 vertical and 2 horizontal where those torpedo bays where...

whatever you do... please do NOT put the bridge 'on top'. leave it buried deep in the hull for maximum protection submarine/BSG style where it's supposed to be.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Star Dragon

Brigedier General (EDF)
Ensign
Ensign

Zodiac: Virgo

Post Posted: 02-09-2007 05:57 PM Post subject: comments

hehe, yeah that's only logical (Couldn't resist!).

Looks great as texturing can bring out way more detail later on, especially with flush items (like torp mounts, etc)

In TOS, the Intrepid (I think) was crewed by all Vulcans. Spock felt them all die when that space Amoeba killed them. So while probably rare those all Vulcan ships can still be out there (ie the Nebula mentioned above).

Besides, after what happened to Betazed with the Dominion I'm sure no one would bat an eye if member worlds wanted to "beef up homeland security" a notch with a few "Home Guard ships"...

Of course they would probably deviate a bit from "Federation" style and be more akin to the race that primarily builds/crews them.

Remember the "Martian Defense Perimeter ships" that lasted like 3 secs against the Borg... Pathetic! At least they ate up 3 torps that would have been used against better ships! Smile

admiral horton

Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

Zodiac: Virgo

Post Posted: 02-10-2007 05:53 AM Post subject:

An interesting start, hope to see more.

Deleted Double Post - Nebula
oh and one small spelling error.

Meteorafallen

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Posted: 02-10-2007 08:37 PM Post subject:

I always wondered what Vulcan ships would evolve to and i think this is a great evolution of them, great job.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

Mouse140

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 02-11-2007 01:08 AM Post subject:

heh, i think i love you guys, i post a damn car or ship on any other board for any other game and people tear it apart in 5 minutes. i've gotten nothing but positive comments! Laughing
ya, there really isn't much to go on for the evolution for vulcan ships, the few other ships they've shown in various series, were way more boxy then in the 'enterprise' series, on that note i brobably should make it more boxy but i really don't want to... i guess i could argue it is atmosphere-capable...

Paegus

Mechanical Gimp
Ensign
Ensign

Post Posted: 02-11-2007 01:57 PM Post subject:

i wouldn't try landing with that fixed annular warp nacelle though.
true, some of the Ent-series vulcan ships did seem quite capable of landing (ex-astris-scientia) but their nacelles could obviously rotate and fold away into the hull. the fixed nacelle would make things interesting at the very least.

i suppose you could de-24th-century-rommie-warbird that shuttle bay and have it open at the bottom, add another at the back, rotate the coil (and its pylons) 90º around your z-axis. but i think the overall structural strength would suffer along the lines of those spindly necks that have, from time to time, been seen connecting substantial masses and probably consuming excessive amounts of power for their structural integrity fields to keep from snapping like a twig on the simplest manoeuvre. not exactly logical that...

you could turn the pylons into a single pillar that can be unlocked and move up.. but i don't think it would look as nice.

or building on the 90º idea assume advances in warp theory/application that would allow that complete loop to be broken so you have 2 C-shape sides connected by pylons where those torpedo tubes where. the nacelles could then rotate flat Ent-style for landing. could even have points on the hull where the ends slot in for extra strength.

if you really want the complete loop you could have the pylons be able to extend out a bit, splitting the hoop then rotate for landing... but i think that's over-doing it a bit.

USS Vortex

Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

Post Posted: 02-11-2007 09:11 PM Post subject:

Lookin good. Are they just designs you've made or actual models you're making?

Mouse140

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 02-11-2007 11:25 PM Post subject:

USS Vortex wrote:
Lookin good. Are they just designs you've made or actual models you're making?

Confused It's a actual model, i'm not sure how you could see it as a drawing... who do you know that draws with wireframes?

i was toying with the idea of splitting the 'I' connection into kind of a 'Y' but i kinda like it as it is now, and there aren't many ships in trek that use the over/under nacelle layout and i always thought it looks really cool. I think i will thin the nacells and the ring out a bit i think it looks a bit thick and ineffecient now, IMO...

USS Vortex

Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

Post Posted: 02-12-2007 10:08 AM Post subject:

Ah, sorry, looked a little cartoony, what program is it?

Mouse140

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 02-14-2007 06:25 PM Post subject:

lol, thats the one i used to use for stuff, i'm paying real good attention today it seems. the proper answer would be wings-3D and no it dosen't export directly.

USS Vortex

Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

Post Posted: 02-14-2007 08:25 PM Post subject:

Does that export to BC, or do you have to export to some other program like Milkshape first?

Paegus

Mechanical Gimp
Ensign
Ensign

Post Posted: 02-15-2007 12:21 PM Post subject:

you can export as 3DS, which can be imported to MS3D and exported as BC NIF...

USS Vortex

Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

Post Posted: 02-15-2007 07:26 PM Post subject:

awesome. Thanks, looks like I may be moddeling again soon then Grin

starforce2

BCU Intersite Relations Director

Zodiac: Libra

Post Posted: 03-09-2007 11:45 PM Post subject:

looking good I'd say. Get some textures on it.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger