BCU main page Bridge Commander Universe
...welcome to the new world.

FAQFAQ  RanksRanks  RulesRules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Staff SiteStaff Site    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

60 cannons issue :|

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bridge Commander Universe Forum Index -> BC Scripting
View previous topic :: View next topic  

paaawau

Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

Post Posted: 11-17-2006 02:04 PM Post subject: 60 cannons issue :|

Hello. I was re-writing and rebalancing hardpoints [for my own use] of recently released Battlestar Galactica - and I've noticed, that when hardpoint includes more than 60 pulse weapons, the game crashes Sad

Now - is it a bridge commander limitation? is there a way to bypass this problem? I need at least 72 cannons.... Smile

So, any ideas? thanks in advance for any reply

BTW I made 24 pairs of heavy cannons [total 48], now I need at least 24 light cannons [flak cannons] - but the game accepts only 12...

Sandtrooper

totlh
totlh

Zodiac: Capricorn

Post Posted: 11-17-2006 04:40 PM Post subject:

Limit is 60 for any gun. (Torp, Phaser, Pulse).

Believe it or Not
George is Not
HOME!!!

Blackshine

The Anonymous Trickster
Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Zodiac: Gemini

Post Posted: 11-17-2006 06:00 PM Post subject:

For me, 60 cannons seriously lags the game, because each bolt is a seperate model, so if your ROF is hight then you're going to have a ton of models in game.

paaawau

Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

Post Posted: 11-17-2006 11:56 PM Post subject: hmmm...

so, there is a limit...
and to blackshine - well, even if there's sixty cannons, they don't shoot all at the same time, right? Some of them are "afts", some "fwds", and so on... and, to be frankly, I don't experience lag resulting ONLY from lots of bolts [maybe it's good hardware:) ]. Damaging cmplex models - yes, that causes lag but bolts themselves? not really...

I was impressed with Galactica mod for Homeworld2, and wished to have hundreds of flak cannons for suppresion fire Smile... but it seems 60 cannons will have to suffice.

Imperial_Destroyer

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Zodiac: Sagittarius

Post Posted: 11-18-2006 06:39 PM Post subject:

actually the 60 is only for player control, i have an SSD model with more than that that the ai can control fine, but i can't

Blackshine

The Anonymous Trickster
Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 11-20-2006 09:51 PM Post subject: Re: hmmm...

paaawau wrote:

and to blackshine - well, even if there's sixty cannons, they don't shoot all at the same time, right? Some of them are "afts", some "fwds", and so on... and, to be frankly, I don't experience lag resulting ONLY from lots of bolts [maybe it's good hardware:) ]. Damaging cmplex models - yes, that causes lag but bolts themselves? not really...

Actually, one of the BSG mods had like 30 per side, and it lagged my powerful gaming comp quite a bit. Imagine this, each bolt is like 50 polys, now 50 x 4 for a average rate of fire, then 200 x 50, by the number of cannons, and you get 10 000 polys in 1 second. Quite a bit. Now I know that the mesh isn't as bad as large textures but still, 10 000 x the amount of time you are firing for will = mass lag.

paaawau

Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

Post Posted: 11-20-2006 11:18 PM Post subject:

to blackshine - I really don't experience any lag caused by disruptor-like weapons - well, my heavy cannons on galactica have lower rate of fire - see the attached picture to compare...
, but even if we take your calculations - extra 10000polys [actually you said 30 per side, so there should be 6000 polys] - well, it's just number of polys of one good-quality model for bridge commander!
And if you are using newest galactica from recentlly released galactica pack - this galactica model, if I'm correct, ihas 29000polys - and it's much oversized - has about 3,7 km [ and "real galactica" Smile is about 1,4km ] - in this case, 200 pulse weapons is one of least concerns for your computer:)

BTW, I rescaled the model to canon size, and removed these highly detailed cannons [and replacing them with small domes] , thus reducing number of polys 4-5x!
Perhaps that is why I don't experience any lag:)

Blackshine

The Anonymous Trickster
Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 11-22-2006 03:48 AM Post subject:

The old version I was using had I think 50 000 polys Wink , anways, loks good, though, can I suggest making the pulses smaller? Great work!

sovereign001

Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

Zodiac: Scorpio

Post Posted: 11-25-2006 03:52 PM Post subject:

i like the new pulses of the new bsg, but how can you resize or make a ship bigger?

my site
http://members.lycos.nl/sovereign001frontier/index.html

paaawau

Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

Post Posted: 11-25-2006 05:15 PM Post subject: "but how can you resize or make a ship bigger? "

to sovereign001 - in case you REALLY don't know - use 3D modelling program, like milkshape3D with nif plugins [trial is for free] or 3dMax... and then rewrite the hardpoint to fit it to the resized model - or write it from scratch as I did... yes it's dull and it takes time even if using MPE:)

get the program [milkshape trial is easiest to get if you don't want to do anything illegal Twisted Evil ] and search the BCU forums for issues like nif plugins, modelling etc etc...

Sandtrooper

totlh
totlh

Zodiac: Capricorn

Post Posted: 11-25-2006 10:14 PM Post subject:

How big IS the BSG-Rev? Length?

Believe it or Not
George is Not
HOME!!!

paaawau

Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

Post Posted: 11-26-2006 02:08 AM Post subject: galactica size

galactica from 2003 series is approximately 1400 m long [Colonial One with height approx. 22 m and lenght approx. 85 m easily fits in its port hangar]
The galactica from 1970's was 600m long - so I've read somewhere, but I 've never seen the show.
What I really can't find on the web, is exact size of 2003 Cylon Basestar - First impression is, that it dwarfs galactica...
...but when you look at basestar releasing raiders from it's bays, or <SPOILER WARNING:)> collision with you-know-what in 3x04, then you see that it cannot be much bigger than battlestar, max. 1800 - 2000m, and possibly less than that