BCU main page Bridge Commander Universe
...welcome to the new world.

FAQFAQ  RanksRanks  RulesRules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Staff SiteStaff Site    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need some advice for this next episode I'm working on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bridge Commander Universe Forum Index -> BC General
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Dante Leonhart

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Zodiac: Pisces

Post Posted: 10-06-2006 10:27 PM Post subject: Need some advice for this next episode I'm working on.

Take a gander at this:

Scene I, Ep II

It's only a rough, rough, rough, rough (x100) draft of the next show, and is missing a couple of voices, but that's just the first act and it's already 4 mins 30 seconds long. Now, for a machinima webisode, that's an awful lot of time... does it seem to drag anywhere and if it does, anyone have any suggestion on what to leave on the cutting room floor? If it seems to flow just fine, then its not really a problem, but its hard for me to judge... seeing as how my perspective of this is a little skewed.

Phaser

Star Trek Canon Authority
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 10-07-2006 12:20 AM Post subject:

I see now why you wanted to use my Silent Running Textures! Grin

Just to let everyone know, I didn't do a half-*ssed job on them or anything--the ID textures are also dark. Dante just didn't use that texture in the video because he needed the deflector lit (he just didn't know about the layout of the texture maps--the deflector texture is part of a map with some lit windows). If Dante decides to reshoot that scene, I've offered to alter the ID texture so only the deflector is lit. Wink

Anyway, about the vid:

Dante, you are a camera GOD. The camera's movements are incredibly smooth (so are the ship's movements once it's underway) and the pan shots are extremely well done. How you got the camera that close to the ship, and manage to the pan the camera, I'll never know. That's simply amazing.

Wonderful work with the scene lighting--the speculars shining on the hull looked great.

As for the ship powering up, again, excellent work. I'm pretty sure I know what you did, and it was very clever. You really pulled it off, too!

As for editing, there are three things I can suggest:
1) Add a pan shot of the stardrive section with worker bees. That's where most of the new technology was incorporated anyway, so most of the action should probably be back there.
2) The last powered down pan shot drags on a bit, especially considering that there's no narration. Cutting off the beginning and ending of this shot would be a good place to 'trim the fat.'
(Note: So the music timing remains the same, you could make up the time lost in that cut by adding in a shot of the stardrive; that way, you get two birds with one stone Wink)
3) The scene with the ship leaving drydock drags on a bit, especially in the last shot. I recommend cutting off the start of that last shot (NOT the end--that pan is amazing!) and replacing it with a closer shot at a different angle.

That's it for me. Again, well done!

Dante Leonhart

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Posted: 10-07-2006 12:27 AM Post subject:

For the record, Phaser is 100% correct. His textures are awesome. The only reason it suffers the small amount that it does is completely due to my novice skill at modding BC. The only thing I really meant to leave on was the deflector, as Brex's line was already recorded as saying the deflector relays were up and running.

But, yes! Thanks for the feedback. I'll be getting a new card in the next week and if it works as well as I hope it does, I may just reshoot EVERYTHING! Expect to see a lot of what you suggest implimented.

Ambassador

I'm me, myself, and I.
Admiral
Admiral

Zodiac: Capricorn

Post Posted: 10-09-2006 04:07 PM Post subject:

good so far, just to make it really cool, make the galaxy a "venture refit", aka, with the extra phasers on the nacelles Wink

Dante Leonhart

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Posted: 11-04-2006 01:57 AM Post subject:

Alright, I went in and re-shot some of the sequences. Saffi's log will be extended so that she's talking throughout the entire first part until the shuttle flies off toward the Starbase, and the scene that shows the officer's quarters still lit will be taken out for two reasons:

1) Because main power isn't supposed to be on... even if just for the officers

2) I want to make room to fit in about 3 more seconds of the shuttle fly by. If you look down at the port nacelle RIGHT when the 2nd part of the shuttle flyby starts, you'll see a workbee scurrying about.

Please, let me know if you guys have anymore suggests.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=247061338455812383

Ambassador

I'm me, myself, and I.
Admiral
Admiral

Zodiac: Capricorn

Post Posted: 11-04-2006 02:14 AM Post subject:

I still think you should make the Galaxy a venture refit galaxy,

Dante Leonhart

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Posted: 11-04-2006 02:23 AM Post subject:

Awww... but that would destroy the canoninity I'm trying to keep with this series Sad

Phaser

Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 11-04-2006 02:42 AM Post subject:

MUCH better, Dante!! The new camera angles are great, too!

Only things I can suggest are:
1) Reshoot the first scene where the dorsal registry is still lit. It just makes more sense having all the saucer lights off then having all them off except for that one area. Besides, in the next shot you see of that area, it isn't lit, anyway.
2) End the last scene about 5 seconds before the point at which you currently do. It's just unnecessary. Or, better yet, cut to a shot of the ship going to warp.

Again, other than those things, this looks amazing. I'm still stunned by the awesome camera work. Wink

Dante Leonhart

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Posted: 11-04-2006 03:24 AM Post subject:

Thankye! ...but it wouldn't have been possible without your work!

Quote:
1) Reshoot the first scene where the dorsal registry is still lit. It just makes more sense having all the saucer lights off then having all them off except for that one area. Besides, in the next shot you see of that area, it isn't lit, anyway.

lol one step ahead of ya! This whole scene is coming out!

Quote:
2) End the last scene about 5 seconds before the point at which you currently do. It's just unnecessary. Or, better yet, cut to a shot of the ship going to warp.

Oh yeah, there's still a whole other scene to follow that, but I didn't want to just cut out the music. The next scene will come in almost as soon as the Galaxy passes and the music will fade into the background before it seguays to the title sequence.

Nebula

CA/KM/BCS:TC Mod Team Member

Zodiac: Gemini

Post Posted: 11-04-2006 03:48 AM Post subject:

Dante Leonhart wrote:
Awww... but that would destroy the canoninity I'm trying to keep with this series Sad

Who said the galaxy wasn't refit to have those extra arcs at one point during the Dom War?? If you say the ship never existed in Trek.... it did, it popped up in a DS9 ep.

Though I don't really care about that. Looks just fine to me. Smile

btw should I move this to BC general??

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Dante Leonhart

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Posted: 11-04-2006 03:53 AM Post subject:

Quote:
Who said the galaxy wasn't refit to have those extra arcs at one point during the Dom War?? If you say the ship never existed in Trek.... it did, it popped up in a DS9 ep.

lol! No! It DOES exist! lol that's what I'm saying. The Galaxy is a canon starship - the one Galaxy-class made before the Enterprise-D. But, there's really two reasons I don't want to change it. One, I want to make this as close to the TNG series as possible, including having their ship as an Enterprise-D look alike. Two, that's about 14 hrs of reshooting I would have to do with a new model lol

Quote:
btw should I move this to BC general??

Sure! I wasn't positive where to put this topic at first. I figured spam would be save, but this is moving down the 'BC General' route and less 'Spam'

Dante Leonhart

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Posted: 11-05-2006 02:14 AM Post subject:

Okay guys, here it is. This is going to be the last public update... If I show anymore, I'd basically be giving ya'll the entire movie! Try to cram in as many suggestions as you can! I have implimented about 90% of everything you all have asked me to, and I have to say, the movie is hundreds of times better because of it!

Quote:
This includes the entire first scene, the new title sequence and the introductory Commander's log. There are still going to be changes made, such as Saffi's first personal log being stretched out until the shuttle flies off, a little bit more music syncronization and even some more sound tweaking.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8526312706140923471

Phaser

Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 11-06-2006 12:26 AM Post subject:

This looks awesome, Dante. Phenomenal work.

Dante Leonhart

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Posted: 11-06-2006 12:33 AM Post subject:

lol, well I've hit a production brick wall for now, so I'm going to make ONE last public update.

But THANKS! Phaser, the whole first sequence couldn't have been done without you.

EDIT:

And here it is:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5492926098334963973

EDIT x2:

EDIT:

And... it looks like there's actually going to be ONE MORE update since Google messed up the letterbox. Mad

EDIT BAH:

NVM... Google appearantly AUTOFAILS my movies if I try to stretch them, so you'll just havta wait for the full wmv Sad

JamesTiberiusKirk

Captain
Captain

Post Posted: 11-06-2006 09:15 AM Post subject:

I wonder all the time how you got those neat camera angles....?.... got some help from bcscripters? Wink

Anyway. looks most awesome !

SuperSmeg

TERTIARY 1
TERTIARY 1

Zodiac: Sagittarius

Post Posted: 11-07-2006 12:49 AM Post subject:

I see you took my advice on the re-textured First Conatact uniforms. Nice job. Perhaps when you are done with this then you can help me out with some videos im planning for BC.

1. My own version of the famous 'All Your Base Are Belong To Us' web video, going to be shot entirely in BC.

2. My own BC version of the 1986 song 'Star Trekkin' sung by The Firm.

Your camera angles would really kick a$$ in those.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Dante Leonhart

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Posted: 11-07-2006 02:44 AM Post subject:

JTK, lol, anyone can get those angles... getting them RIGHT is the hard part. Mad I would have to say that getting the right shots is probably the second hardest thing to do for these shows... behind getting the voices... lol

SS, lol, Thanks! I wouldn't have known without YOUR input (for which you'll be credited for, of course) Smile

And I would be MORE than happy to help ya out! It's the least I can do for you guys. Your suggestions seriously bumped up the quality of this show.

SuperSmeg

TERTIARY 1
TERTIARY 1

Post Posted: 11-07-2006 03:15 AM Post subject:

Dante Leonhart wrote:
JTK, lol, anyone can get those angles... getting them RIGHT is the hard part. Mad I would have to say that getting the right shots is probably the second hardest thing to do for these shows... behind getting the voices... lol

SS, lol, Thanks! I wouldn't have known without YOUR input (for which you'll be credited for, of course) Smile

And I would be MORE than happy to help ya out! It's the least I can do for you guys. Your suggestions seriously bumped up the quality of this show.

I wouldve thought you would use a different ship instead of a galaxy class. I didnt mention it to be credited, but coolies that you will credit me Smile

Are you going to credits the actual makers of any mods used in any way?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Dante Leonhart

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Posted: 11-07-2006 03:34 AM Post subject:

Yes. I'm going to try to credit as many people as I can remember to. Basically, anything I see that I recognize as being created by a mod, I'm going to try to credit... I really hope I don't miss anyone. I mean, I got ZERO complaints about the amount of credits in the last show, but I did feel bad once I started recognizing all the different mods I was showing off... and using! I mean, if someone likes what they see and wants to use it, I want them to know who made it.

...I certainly don't want them thinking I made EVERYTHING in the show either... then I'd feel really bad.

LOL all I'm really doing is playing the game and hitting F12 (fraps). The real talent lies in the modders, the actors and the community in general.

/soapbox

JamesTiberiusKirk

Captain
Captain

Post Posted: 11-09-2006 06:52 PM Post subject:

Dante Leonhart wrote:

Hmm... oh well, i wonder how you got the angle with the camera following the front of the shuttle at the beginning of the movie. Confused

Dante Leonhart

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Posted: 11-09-2006 09:23 PM Post subject:

lol I basically had my 'workerbee' cam following a straight path and just matced it with that of a shuttle flying foward. Check out this thread for a better explanation:

http://bcscripterstng.forumsplace.com/message985.html

Dante Leonhart

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Posted: 11-11-2006 02:18 AM Post subject:

The trailer for the movie has been sent to bcfiles. ^_^ Hopefully it'll be up after the weekend! Let me know what you guys think. It's the first 'trailer' I've ever made lol

Dante Leonhart

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Posted: 11-15-2006 05:32 PM Post subject:

PART I IS FINISHED!!

As soon as the trailer goes up on bcfiles, I'm loading up the movie.

I feel like I got lazy on the directing near the end (for which I EXPECT harsh critisizm Wink) but overall, I think it turned out well. I can't wait to hear your feedback, which I will most definately incorperate into part two as best I can.

Dante Leonhart

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Posted: 11-17-2006 04:47 AM Post subject:

WOOT! The trailer is upon bcfiles... come late November, so is the movie!

SuperSmeg

TERTIARY 1
TERTIARY 1

Post Posted: 11-17-2006 09:55 AM Post subject:

Dante Leonhart wrote:
WOOT! The trailer is upon bcfiles... come late November, so is the movie!

When you say part 1 is finished, do you mean part 1 of this movie or is the whole movie part 1?

Also, how long will the movie be?

(Trailer rocks by the way)

Dante Leonhart

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Posted: 11-17-2006 03:45 PM Post subject:

Errr... That's kind of a misunderstanding. It's not really a 'MOVIE.' This is Episode II of the Bridge Commander series I am making. As such, Episode II is three parts. Part I being 18 minutes long.

IE: Episode II, Part I

SuperSmeg

TERTIARY 1
TERTIARY 1

Post Posted: 11-17-2006 10:09 PM Post subject:

Dante Leonhart wrote:
Errr... That's kind of a misunderstanding. It's not really a 'MOVIE.' This is Episode II of the Bridge Commander series I am making. As such, Episode II is three parts. Part I being 18 minutes long.

IE: Episode II, Part I

Oh okay then. Coolies all the same Smile