BCU main page Bridge Commander Universe
...welcome to the new world.

FAQFAQ  RanksRanks  RulesRules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Staff SiteStaff Site    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UFOP Infinity Class Dreadnought concept WIP......
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bridge Commander Universe Forum Index -> BC2 Project
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Zodiac: Taurus

Post Posted: 05-11-2005 08:37 AM Post subject: UFOP Infinity Class Dreadnought concept WIP......

Ok, there have been lots of problems with this mesh, not forming up right, mainly because I have provided only a limited concept sketch for the modelers to use....so I decided to build a preliminary mesh to be used as a template.

I figured I would get the shape exactly the way I want it, and then let the modelers go at it. I will, of course, move away from the sketch a little here and there to get the shape just right, and I will limit overall detail to keep the mesh clean and easy to use as a guide.

Here are the pics of my current progress.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Bridge Commander Universe
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Imperial_Destroyer

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Zodiac: Sagittarius

Post Posted: 05-11-2005 01:50 PM Post subject:

how big is this thing?

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 05-11-2005 03:43 PM Post subject:

2000 meters from the aft end of the nacelles to the nose. She's the largest ship ever built by the Federation. Basically a mobile battlestation.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

David999

Graphic Artist
BCU Mod Team
BCU Mod Team

Zodiac: Leo

Post Posted: 05-11-2005 08:07 PM Post subject:

didnt i do the naccels for that model?

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 05-11-2005 08:19 PM Post subject:

Yep, and the pylons....guess who this concept mesh is for Wink

You and Armondikov. This way you guys can grab this when I am done and use it for your template. The warp engines are unchanged, abiet a little shorter.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Major A Payne

Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

Post Posted: 05-12-2005 03:04 PM Post subject:

I dont' know Raven. Whilst I applaud your modelling effort, your making a rebuild of this is a little unfair to the months of work already put in here. Okay so the originals may not have been 100% accurate to your concept drawing but considering that the drawn design was just that, a concept, surely the modellers who appear to be working for nothing, should be aloud to vary the design a little to make life easier for them?? After all. They're the ones who are helping you here.

Also why build templates?? You could simply work on a more "alongside" level with them and produce the models quicker, than re-doing this one, and then re-doing that one simply because theres something you dont' like. At this rate your project will never see the light of day. I know its easier to model from an already created model (I should do seeing as I'm done it frequently), but still. The works already been done to a certain degree. It seems you may as well restart the project and build all your template models first, then request your modellers begin their refinements.

Oh and speaking of models, whats happened to updates from LC?? I visit this forum every day and its been weeks since any kind of update from him and his fantastic creations.

(and no. I'm not being pushy, or disrespectful. I'm trying to see it from an alternative perspective)

Micheal_Yar

Commander
Commander

Zodiac: Libra

Post Posted: 05-12-2005 03:17 PM Post subject:

ACTUALLY they ARE being paid

You have a dreamy mind, full of fancy and fantasy.
You have the ability to stay forever entertained with your thoughts.
People may say you're hard to read, but that's because you're so internally focused.
But when you do share what you're thinking, people are impressed with your imagination.

blaXXer
Currently banned

Resident Insane Symbiote
Section 31 Director
Section 31 Director

Zodiac: Pisces

Post Posted: 05-12-2005 04:29 PM Post subject:

Major A Payne wrote:

Also why build templates?? You could simply work on a more "alongside" level with them and produce the models quicker, than re-doing this one, and then re-doing that one simply because theres something you dont' like. At this rate your project will never see the light of day. I know its easier to model from an already created model (I should do seeing as I'm done it frequently), but still. The works already been done to a certain degree. It seems you may as well restart the project and build all your template models first, then request your modellers begin their refinements.

(and no. I'm not being pushy, or disrespectful. I'm trying to see it from an alternative perspective)

Micheal_Yar wrote:
ACTUALLY they ARE being paid

True that, but he might actually have a point there...
To elaborate this: Since there's already that much great concepts on the Nighsoft homepage, it'd be way easier to have some schematic views of them in decent sizes, than building one template mesh one after the other.
I might of course be mistaken (correct me if I am) but it seems to me that almost none of these 'concept meshes' are being rebuilt by now.

Since I do not work from template meshes at all, but good schematics in decent sizes, I simply cannot see the point in creating them ,but again that might just be me...

I'll better stop here befor bashing Raven even more. Razz (n.o.i)

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 05-12-2005 09:45 PM Post subject:

Lol.

Thats alright.

Concept meshes are drawings in 3d. To say I shouldn't do them is to say I should stop drawing them.

Second, I never said that my process was fair. That is why I pay for it. I am very picky, and I would rather this takes ten years and comes out perfect than have it be a bug filled mess with ships that I do not like and my name plastered in lights.

This is how we do things at Nightsoft.

We have our own outside contracts, before you ask, so yes, we can take our time on this. This project will be finished in it's own time, but it may not even use the BC engine. All options are open and are being explored.

So, template meshes are absolutely vital to the process, and the constant tweaking is definitely NOT fair but will continue unabated.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 05-12-2005 09:50 PM Post subject:

Major A Payne wrote:
I dont' know Raven. Whilst I applaud your modelling effort, your making a rebuild of this is a little unfair to the months of work already put in here. Okay so the originals may not have been 100% accurate to your concept drawing but considering that the drawn design was just that, a concept, surely the modellers who appear to be working for nothing, should be aloud to vary the design a little to make life easier for them?? After all. They're the ones who are helping you here.

I think you have a few misconceptions, so I will correct them.

First, as I mentioned before, it is unfair. That said, if a model does not look exactly the way I want it I will tweak it until it does. The models for this project are paid products, and will be delivered in a manner and state that is to my satisfaction. If they were unpaid, or modelers were "helping me out" as you mentioned, I would be much less stringent.

Second, I do allow a certain measure of freedom of interpretation, but I must like what I see. If I do not, the modeler has to be prepared to have is work poked and prodded until I am satisfied.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

blaXXer
Currently banned

Resident Insane Symbiote
Section 31 Director
Section 31 Director

Zodiac: Pisces

Post Posted: 05-12-2005 11:06 PM Post subject:

Thanks for your quick reply raven, but back to the topic at hand:

I've been following the respective topics both about the CGI and in-game Infinity with great interest, and I've been asking myself the question at which stage the two models are by now.
I know that, since it's the main ship in the game and your pet-project, so to speak, it has to be perfect, but nonetheless I'd be interested in their current status.
TIA.

Raven wrote:
I am very picky, and I would rather this takes ten years and comes out perfect than have it be a bug filled mess with ships that I do not like and my name plastered in lights.

I can really understand your point of view.

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 05-13-2005 12:05 AM Post subject:

Well, right now the CGI Infinity is almost completed, sans the nose which armondikov needs this work I am doing now to finish.

As for the game mesh, David made one, and I have used his unchanged nacelles and only slightly changed nacelle struts with a new body. I imagine it wont take long to make the necessary changes.

The nose has been the toughest part....I did not have a concept mesh for this ship, so Armondikov and David999 had to wing it, and I just didnt like the way the noses were turning out.

This way, I can plant a ship in the slot in the nose and it will not effect the dorsal or ventral nose area. Then it is a simple matter of putting the concord in the neck, and we are set.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Major A Payne

Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

Post Posted: 05-13-2005 05:07 AM Post subject:

Like I said Raven. I wasn't trying to be pushy or anything like that. It just seemed a little unfair to me, to have the modellers redo their months of work.

Still I suppose its your call. I'm just trying to see the other side of the coin.

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 05-13-2005 09:28 AM Post subject:

It is, and I didn't find you pushy. There are many that do not like my methods, to the point that some modelers have even left the project in the past....but in the end I can say with all confidence that the mod or game we make will be the best possible product we could produce.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

starforce2

BCU Intersite Relations Director

Post Posted: 05-13-2005 11:16 AM Post subject:

I think you should throw this entire pos in the bin and have mayhem draw you a real infinity.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 05-13-2005 03:57 PM Post subject:

Hehe.

Dont think ill be doing that.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Armondikov

Tan tan ta ra, tzing boom!

Zodiac: Cancer

Post Posted: 05-13-2005 06:20 PM Post subject:

Right man. I can upload the arse end of Infinity for you to have. I'll not have my computer and LW for a while so I can't finish it myself anytime soon. Razz

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 05-13-2005 06:39 PM Post subject:

No problem. Let me chew on the nose of this ship for a while and then you guys can dig into it when you are ready. You know me....no rush.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Armondikov

Post Posted: 05-14-2005 06:18 PM Post subject:

Fair enough. We still need to solve the problem of converting between .lwo and MAX compatible files otherwise I shouldn't even bother.

David999

Graphic Artist
BCU Mod Team
BCU Mod Team

Zodiac: Leo

Post Posted: 05-14-2005 06:35 PM Post subject:

ive got the back end of my mesh too, the naccels are inch perfect to his model, if u want it?

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 05-15-2005 12:56 AM Post subject:

Well, I would suggest holding off and let me finish up this basic shape. Then you can look at it and see if you want to cut my throat or not.

At the very least it will show what I want for the nose and the bottom, which was the original intent. I'm working on it....it should be ready in a few days.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 05-15-2005 06:53 PM Post subject:

Ok, here is the latest. I moved the impulse vents off of the main saucer body lateral edge and attached them to the ventral hull. This keeps them from breaking up the overall wedge shape, making it a much smoother shape overall.

As you see, some shape tweaks, fixed the nose (it is now on spot), removed the pipes and the nacelle struts, reshaped them and attached them to the hull (this ship does not have nacelle struts persay, it is too large for that. Instead the struts are actually a part of the hull form.)

So far so good. Looking at my concept drawing I can see why it was better for me to start making mesh templates. All three perspectives do not match. I decided, therefore, to set a priority. The highest is the side view, followed by the front and finally the perspective.

I like the side view of this ship....it is slim but not paper thin. It has a very agressive wedge shape.

The front view is taller than I would like, but to make it shorter would mean turning the ship into a piece of paper due to its cant, or remove the cant....niether one was appealing. Also I need to work on the deflector, but it is fine for now.

Finally, the top view needed some work. I finally decided to go with more of a one-hull design, going off the side view. That means there should be little difference between the tail and the head. It should flow together.

Finally, the nacelle length and position was tweaked alot. It was difficult to get just the right position, but I think I found it...the nacelles sit farther back a bit but are shorter, and the "struts" are close to the hull, giving the overall shape of the ship more even tones.

Here are the pics.

Here are the current pics sofar.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Micheal_Yar

Commander
Commander

Post Posted: 05-15-2005 08:26 PM Post subject:

there was once said that there was a docking bay where a ship of the sice of a Excel could fit and well.. i can't see it here so could you say where

You have a dreamy mind, full of fancy and fantasy.
You have the ability to stay forever entertained with your thoughts.
People may say you're hard to read, but that's because you're so internally focused.
But when you do share what you're thinking, people are impressed with your imagination.

mayhemuk

Captain
Captain

Zodiac: Capricorn

Post Posted: 05-15-2005 08:40 PM Post subject:

I would give her a less agressive look, give her a less sharp look.

USS Courageous, I will take her to hell and back, and if she is willing, Beyond.

Nebula

CA/KM/BCS:TC Mod Team Member

Zodiac: Gemini

Post Posted: 05-15-2005 08:41 PM Post subject:

its ment to ram if needed.....

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 05-15-2005 11:44 PM Post subject:

Yes, the design is actually to facilitate a ram....phaser charged plates are deployed and assist in penetrating the shields and hull of another ships, while strakes on the side of the ship push away debri.

This ship was originally designed to fight the Borg. All systems on board are for that purpose. The general simply modified the design and finished construction.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Bigkap

Big Kap
Commander
Commander

Zodiac: Scorpio

Post Posted: 05-17-2005 06:29 AM Post subject:

Damn this is going to be sweet! I can't wait to take on a cube with this beaut!

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 05-18-2005 06:58 PM Post subject:

Glad you like it....the shape needs alot more tweaking before I am done, right now im working on the ma'veQ. I should have that done and get back on the Infinity in a few days.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Armondikov

Post Posted: 05-19-2005 08:15 PM Post subject:

Heh... tried uploading my mesh and found my back-up CD seems to be damaged and won't run. Excellent! My computer back home is about two weeks from crashing and niether my brother nor mother would know what the hell I was talking about if I told them to backup my lightwave files.

Life is sweet!

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 05-19-2005 08:58 PM Post subject:

Oof. Well, I have the original meshes you gave me, I may have them in LWO. I can take a look if you want.

I didnt want to mess with them because.....well.....the work is outstanding. The nose isnt right though, but then you know that, and that is my fault, not yours.

At any rate, I am going to load the mesh pieces you sent me one at a time and compare them with the shape I'm working on when I am done with it. Then I will see if it is feasable to make the changes needed.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe