BCU main page Bridge Commander Universe
...welcome to the new world.

FAQFAQ  RanksRanks  RulesRules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Staff SiteStaff Site    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Super Intrepid rebuild concept wip......
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bridge Commander Universe Forum Index -> BC2 Project
View previous topic :: View next topic  

captain_obvious

the ultimate n00b.
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Zodiac: Aries

Post Posted: 06-24-2005 07:15 PM Post subject:

that deflector makes the ship look like it's gonna kiss you!!! sickening......... HELL YEAH!!! Laughing

the ship overally is great, but that deflector. why dont you put up a few different versions of this ship with different deflectors? (like one with a connie refit deflector, one with a galaxy part, etc.) and see which looks best, and if needed suggest changes.

Your mind is an incubator for good ideas, it just takes a while for them to develop.
But when you think of something, watch out!
Your thoughts tend to be huge, and they come on quickly - like an explosion.
You tend to be quiet around others, unless you're inspired by your next big idea.

What Pattern Is Your Brain?

http://www.blogthings.com/whatpatternisyourbrainquiz/

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Nebula

CA/KM/BCS:TC Mod Team Member

Zodiac: Gemini

Post Posted: 06-24-2005 07:18 PM Post subject:

LOL not a bad idea

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Zodiac: Taurus

Post Posted: 06-24-2005 09:11 PM Post subject:

Ok, it seems the biggest complaint is the engineering width, followed by the deflector shape and position, and finally the length of the ship. If I were to correct all of these items, save the shape of the deflector, it would look almost identical to the Intrepid, which would make the entire exercise fruitless....I know, I tried it.

However, I did save an intermediary step....I want this ship to be acceptable to as many as possible of course. Though I cannot please everyone, I think I can find some kind of balance.

So, I started with the engineering section....I made it wider, and I increased the width of the deflector dish. The dish itself is already protected by the armor piece in it's center, but it is still open to suggestions. First things first.

Let me know if the width at present works better. Any wider and it starts looking too much like the Intrepid.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Bridge Commander Universe
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Creative Inc

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Zodiac: Pisces

Post Posted: 06-24-2005 09:23 PM Post subject:

Yes, much better. It didn't take as much as I thought to make the deflector look better. Big improvement in my book.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 06-24-2005 09:35 PM Post subject:

Just a quick comparison...........comparing the two shows me what you guys meant. I think the problem was there was no balance between engineering and the saucer. Now it looks more balanced...before it was top heavy I think.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Creative Inc

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: 06-24-2005 09:40 PM Post subject:

Yeah, I know. I used windows preview to go back and fourth between the images and as I said it didn't take much but it did make a huge difference. The entire armor idea is great to. Just a quick question though, what's the poly count now?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 06-24-2005 09:42 PM Post subject:

One sec and Ill check.

Ok, right now, before cleaning it up it is at 3481 polys. I box model, and this is just a concept mesh, so it is poly heavy as usual. I could probably get it down to about 2800 when i am finished.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Creative Inc

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: 06-24-2005 09:48 PM Post subject:

Holy crap. Below 4k as it is now? Wow. I though for sure the armor and whatnot would add to it. Boy was I wrong. So if this is a concept mesh, you plan on making a CG one and making this one for BC?

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 06-24-2005 09:51 PM Post subject:

This probably wont be a CG, although I might get inspired to detail it further. I want to try to avoid the whole "brel MaveQ" thing I did, as that would slow down the entire concept mesh process.

I am close to the ability of creating a reasonable...note I said reasonable, not competant....CG quality mesh. I will pick out specific ships to practice on, ones that could use extra detail. This could be a candidate.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Creative Inc

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: 06-24-2005 09:55 PM Post subject:

I think it has great potiential. Are you going to add more detail via physiclly modeling it onto the ship or via texturing it? I'd love to see her with textures.

Nebula

Post Posted: 06-24-2005 10:02 PM Post subject:

yep it looks much better, as you said it was top heavy.
Now all you have to do is change the deflector shape back to what it was in the First concept and you got a winner.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 06-24-2005 10:06 PM Post subject:

Well, I know how to apply textures, but I am not very good at making them yet. Right now I mostly picrape for my textures, so I am concentrating on modeling in detail.

Mainly the details I make are to guide the modeler toward my desired end result.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Creative Inc

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: 06-24-2005 10:16 PM Post subject:

Well, whatever your choice, I'm sure I'll enjoy it. And picrape? I would have never thought of a word like that. Funny.

Phaser

Star Trek Canon Authority
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 06-24-2005 11:12 PM Post subject:

"Picrape!" I love it!

Anyway, maybe you should go with a Sovereign-style deflector--small, but not too small, and set into the secondary hull a bit. I'd also recommend adjusting the hull accordingly, so it wraps around the deflector in a manner similar to how it does on the Sovereign.

The only real problem I have with the deflector is that its shape almost gives the ship a crazy-looking smile. I just don't think the deflector is currently giving it a 'warship' feel.

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 06-25-2005 07:12 AM Post subject:

Ok, here is an example of the saucer armor. What do you think.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Creative Inc

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: 06-25-2005 09:15 AM Post subject:

I'n not a big fan of the way the saucer armor is currently. Perhaps try creating it it larger divisions and try to make it more like a plate feel by having them lined up?

Gareth

Admiral
Admiral

Zodiac: Cancer

Post Posted: 06-25-2005 06:19 PM Post subject:

How can you have something that's 'top heavy' in space, where there's no gravity for it to topple over? Wink - unless you mean when it lands Razz

Adm_Ross

Ensign
Ensign

Zodiac: Sagittarius
Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom, Earth, Sol System Sector 001

Post Posted: 06-25-2005 11:21 PM Post subject:

Gareth wrote:
How can you have something that's 'top heavy' in space, where there's no gravity for it to topple over? Wink - unless you mean when it lands Razz

I think what he really meant was that the centre of mass was too high up. redesigning the secondary hull has lowered this.

Weight and gravity does not have much meaning in space, except on planetary and stellar objects. But "centre of mass" is very important.

Anyway, I think the primary and secondary hulls look much better now and more balanced (mass-wise anyway) Raven Smile

As for the armour on the hull, I'd have the Armour plates slightly overlapping one another. I'd also make them slightly smaller maybe about half the size of your current armour plates.

We Survive! Long Live the Terran Empire

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Phaser

Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 06-26-2005 12:16 AM Post subject:

If this ship is supposed to use a lot of the technology Voyager brought back from the Delta Quadrant, why have permanent armor on the hull, like on the Defiant? Instead, give it armor like what was seen in the final episode of Star Trek Voyager, and have it deploy via the MVAM mod. It wouldn't have the cool transition seen in the show, but the desired result would be the same. Besides, that much armor covering the hull doesn't make much sense. If most of the hull was going to be covered by armor, the designers could simply make the hull out of the armor material itself.

Also, I liked how the ship looked before you added the armor! Grin

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 06-26-2005 03:10 AM Post subject:

Ok, too much switching around though. This ship needs ablative armor...and the purpose of ablative armor is to sit on top of regular armor and reduce the effectiveness of torpedoes....it has no effect on phasers.

I will put up pics of my latest armor try, and I am willing to trash the idea of armor all together if I have to.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Adm_Ross

Ensign
Ensign

Zodiac: Sagittarius
Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom, Earth, Sol System Sector 001

Post Posted: 06-26-2005 03:22 AM Post subject:

Raven Night wrote:

I will put up pics of my latest armor try, and I am willing to trash the idea of armor all together if I have to.

Don't trash the armour. Armour Plating is clearly the next step on from Ablative Armour in defensive technologies

We Survive! Long Live the Terran Empire

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Sean

Bridge Modder
Commander
Commander

Post Posted: 06-26-2005 04:02 AM Post subject:

what id say about the armour is that it doesn't need to stick out like a sore thumb, the defiants armour could bearly(sp?) be seen if at all.... but to be honest i think its starting to look really good... even with the current armour plating

Nebula

Post Posted: 06-26-2005 05:42 AM Post subject:

I agree

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 06-26-2005 07:40 AM Post subject:

Right now the armor is about .06 thickness, it is easy enough to reduce. Also, the color contrast is high to make it stand out now, but that will probably be less prevalent in the final version...finally, the armor could end up being texture based only.

At any rate, I made a modification to the spine armor to match the saucer armor. Your call on whether or not it is an improvement. I think overall it matches better.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

JamesTiberiusKirk

Captain
Captain

Post Posted: 06-26-2005 10:53 AM Post subject:

well i like the hole ship + armor, only the bussards could be a little bigger, i mean only the red bits

gamesfunk

Zodiac: Leo
Location: Weapons Resarch Facility, Veldhoven, The Netherlands

Post Posted: 06-26-2005 11:34 AM Post subject:

I think that the bussards are large enough if you compare it with the nacelles and the ship. But I do think that the flat 'extension' of the bussards can be removed, like this...:

G.

Phaser

Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 06-26-2005 07:04 PM Post subject:

I see you guys are having fun with MSpaint! Razz

Anyway, I the new armor pattern is a definite improvement.

seanabooth wrote:
what id say about the armour is that it doesn't need to stick out like a sore thumb, the defiants armour could bearly(sp?) be seen if at all....

Agreed.

As you suggested, Raven Night, texturing the armor might be best. Having distinct specular maps for the armor would also help make it stand out. You could post two versions, if you wanted--one with modelled armor, one without--so we could see what each would look like. Just a thought.

JamesTiberiusKirk

Captain
Captain

Post Posted: 06-26-2005 07:06 PM Post subject:

gamesfunk wrote:
I think that the bussards are large enough of the ship itself in comparison (sp). But I do think that the flat 'extension'of the bussards can be removed, like this...:G.

yep, i think that looks better

gamesfunk

Zodiac: Leo
Location: Weapons Resarch Facility, Veldhoven, The Netherlands

Post Posted: 06-26-2005 07:23 PM Post subject:

Nah, not MS Paint, just Paint Shop Pro 7 Razz .

G.

lost_jedi

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Zodiac: Cancer

Post Posted: 06-26-2005 07:38 PM Post subject:

I really love it as it is, however i do think that the buzzards should be made bigger. Well done Smile