BCU main page Bridge Commander Universe
...welcome to the new world.

FAQFAQ  RanksRanks  RulesRules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Staff SiteStaff Site    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Foundation Tech dev Preview
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bridge Commander Universe Forum Index -> BC Scripting
View previous topic :: View next topic  

USS Frontier

Sovereign-Class
Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

Post Posted: 07-20-2006 07:34 PM Post subject:

OH yeah in the FTech in KobMaru i was going to put ablative armor, multivectral, regenerative, corbomite shields and phase cloak in the ship im making, and only phase cloak was working after messing around a bit i got ablative armour to work, but blackscreen of death like you dramatdude, it's because shields.py need to import the script ATPFunctions from ftb.Tech, and in the script it is only "import ATPFunctions" because shields.py we're already in ftb.Tech to fix this just make a blank Shields.py file with the line "import ftb.Tech.Shields", make sure the correct Shields.py file is in scripts\ftb\Tech and it will work, u can do this for AblativeArmour too. (i got this idea from the RegisterBreenWeapon in the Custom\Techs folder)

Plus, i wasn't able to make the Phased Torpedo work, i didn't understand it correctly i think, in the readme it says to copy those lines to the projectile .py, in the PhasedTorp.py it says to copy other lines to the projectile .py, and also on the readme it says to use the firesound of the torpedo... Can someone here explain this to me?

and a side note: my ship has 30000 hull, 12000 all shields, 10000 ablative armor, 50% chance multivectral/corbomite shields and the configuration number(which the damage is divided by, which i didn't understand much too, if i put 12, the damage will be divided by 12, and the shields will regain 1/12 and take 11/12 of the damage, is that it?) of the regenerative shields is 12 and MAN SHE WAS TOUGH! a Species 8472 Bioship taked some time to destroy it..
When i first putted the shields techs, i put the chance of multivectral/corbomite to 100% to see if it worked, and i was able to destroy a Borg Cube without loosing anything, i also managed to destroy the Bioship, both battles taked some time, as i didn't quite completed the weapons deparment of my ship. Also, the shields work so much better if they are together, when i taked out the multivectral the ship was substantialy weaker, the same thing hapened when i installed multivectral again but disabled the regenerative, and i saw that the multivectral reacts kinda weird, for example: all my shields were green, then i standed still taking fire from 5 warbirbs and my front shield quickly turned red, while the others were green, then after a second or so, all shields changed to yellow, is this supposed to happen with the multivectral shields? Also after taking serious fire from the warbirds all shields were red, i begin losing ablative armor, then hull and so on, but the shields never failed, they were just red, is this also suposed to happen?

And to finalize, when taking the serious fire from the warbirds and i begin losing ablative armour, there were moments were i still had the armour, but the warbirds managed to damage some of my subsystems, this hapened when engaging a bioship too, and i think this wasn't suposed to happen. And as a personal request: can you make so that when the ablative armour is still active, and we're taking fire, so that besides protecting the subsytems, the ablative armour prevents them from opening holes in the ship?

Obs: i'm using the FTech that comes with KobMaru
And sorry MLeo about the home brew modifications, but it had to be done to work =P

Orca Class WIP <----Needing some help

MLeo

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Zodiac: Aquarius

Post Posted: 07-22-2006 11:19 AM Post subject:

Ok, let's take this one step at the time.

In the latest package, it should have Shields.py in the correct directory, and LoadFoundationTech.py (in Autoload) should load it.

Now, I don't know if KM has the latest FTech.

Your Multi Vectral quirkyness could be caused by the constant bombardment, which calls the script continuesly which could make it stall a bit. What MV does, is the following, it takes the total shield power, and redistributes it accross all shield vectors, which in turn should make it look like it's just one shield vector.

This is the reason why your front shield turned from red to yellow (and the rest from green to yellow).

Also, at 5% strength, shields will let through all weapons, so the AA would take the brunt from there on. And after that the rest of the ship.

Just use the readme as your guide, it was written later, and I was looking through all the files for the best and easiest way to do things.

Is your PhasedTorp.py in Autoload?
In that case, you are using an old version with a couple of problems fixed in the later version(s).

How to beat the Black Screen Of Death and Script problems Also handles Console/Screen/Error report/dump.
BC Technical FAQ [Last updated 26/12/2005]
"Trust me, I'm a con artist" - Moist von Lipwig, "Going Postal, Discworld"

Defiant

Free "as in Free Speech" Engineer
Admiral
Admiral

Zodiac: Capricorn

Post Posted: 07-22-2006 07:05 PM Post subject:

MLeo wrote:

Now, I don't know if KM has the latest FTech.

Thats easy, KM 0.9.x comes with an FdnTech version that was release before septemebr 2005.

--
Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
-- Mark Twain

MLeo

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 07-22-2006 11:08 PM Post subject:

Ok, that explains it, there already is a version from November...

How to beat the Black Screen Of Death and Script problems Also handles Console/Screen/Error report/dump.

USS Frontier

Sovereign-Class
Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

Post Posted: 07-24-2006 06:57 PM Post subject:

Yes there is a PhasedTorp.py and IsoKineticTorp.py in Autoload, but both have only 1 line inside, and that is "# removed file", so i still need to delete them?

And can i install the new FTech version in KM0.9.1 without causing any problems? (compatibility issues and so on)

MLeo

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 07-24-2006 09:42 PM Post subject:

If it's removed, then it's ok for that, you would just need newer versions in the Techs directory.

Atleast, if you get warnings about FTB/FoundationTechnologies not being installed.

I do think it would cause problems if you play in multiplayer, but since you mention you mod your install, I would consider it safe.

USS Frontier

Sovereign-Class
Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

Post Posted: 07-25-2006 09:31 PM Post subject:

No, i don't play in MP
About the MultivectralShielding, you said it gets the total shield power and redistributes it to all shields, can't you make it so that when it is hit (on defense) it divides the damage received by 6 and then apply it(1/6) on each shield vector? that way it won't cause the quirkyness i reported. I was trying to do it myself but i don't know how to get the damage received xP (i'm still new to making things in python).
About the torpedo techs, I still didn't try to use the Phased torpedo again, because i'm still confused about how to install a torpedo(with one of the torps techs) to a ship, i noticed that in KM, the merchantman freighter and breen frigate uses respectively the ionprojectile and damper weapon and they work, but both ship hardpoint and the projectile script are in .PYC format so i can't open them and see how they were made to use as an example. Can you Mleo or Defiant could send me them in .PY format? or send me the hardpoint and torpedo script (in .py format) of a ship using a working torpedo tech?

MLeo

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 07-25-2006 10:13 PM Post subject:

It uses the build in function for that. I admit, ATP1 used to use it's own function (actually, Dasher had made the MV with that function, but I replaced it with the build in), but this function is way faster.

If any, it prevents any quirkyness you would get with the pure python version.

About your confusion, if you hold on to the readme, then your fine.

USS Frontier

Sovereign-Class
Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

Post Posted: 07-25-2006 10:36 PM Post subject:

yeah i saw in the script, its the RedistributeShields, but i wanted to know if it can be done that way (dividing the damage by 6) because then when the ship is hit and MV activates it won't leave all shields the same, for example if you had 1 vector red and the others green, and taked a hit that causes 600 damage, all shields will lose 100 points, but the one that is red will still be weaker than the other, got it?

Okay, i'm trying to make a torpedo with the tech IonProjectile to test following the readme's instruction on how to add a tech to a projectile, see the torpedo script below, but when it doesn't appear in the torp selection in-game, and the console reports a syntax error in the line "oFire = ftb.Tech.IonProjectile('IonProjectile' {14})" with the "^" mark below the "tile" letter in "Projectile", i also tried with this same line this way: "oFire = ftb.Tech.IonProjectile('Ion Weapon', {14}) and it report the same error, but with that mark below the "n" in "Weapon". Now i'm sure the torpedo system is equipped with 50 of these torpedoes(the script i attached below), and don't mind the name of it, i was testing it with the ionprojectile tech to see if it work and how to install it, to use another tech i'm trying to make that is a PC Virus, that will let you control the enemy ship for #seconds, the catch is that i still don't know how to make the target(enemy) become friendly, so you can give orders to it, and how to make to when the #seconds runs out the ship becomes a enemy again.

Note: i can't upload the script so i will just copy the lines here okay?
Here is the lines the readme says to add in the bottom of the torp script, adapted to use the ion tech as as written in the readme:

sYieldName = 'IonProjectile'
sFireName = None

try:
import FoundationTech
import ftb.Tech

oFire = ftb.Tech.IonProjectile('IonProjectile' {14})
FoundationTech.dOnFires[__name__] = oFire
FoundationTech.dYields[__name__] = oFire
except:
pass

EDIT:Okay i managed to get the torpedo working, and disabling the target's engines (Ion Projectile tech), the problem was that i should "import ftb.Tech.IonProjectile" instead of just "ftb.Tech" and oFire should be "oFire = ftb.Tech.IonProjectile.IonWeaponDef('Ion Weapon', {})", i don't know why i added that "14"...>_<
i saw in the readme how to add the CloakDisruptor, so i added it to the projectile instead of the Ion tech, and it worked, so i got back to the script and checked what was diferent from before(when it was to install Ion tech), then i adapted to be the Ion tech instead of CloakDisruptor, and it worked.

MLeo

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 07-26-2006 11:40 AM Post subject:

It's done the way it's done because we can only "disable" damage from projectiles, not phasers.

What I mean is the following, with projectiles, when they hit (anything) they do damage and it sends out an event. If we catch that event, get the torpedo from that and then set it's lifetime to 0, then no damage will be done! After this we can then do our own damage calculations, which would be your idea.
Now, with Phasers this isn't possible, so your idea wouldn't work and you'd be left with the only possibility, which is grabbing all the shield info and redistribute it for yourself (or use the build in, so faster, function).

USS Frontier

Sovereign-Class
Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

Post Posted: 07-27-2006 04:28 AM Post subject:

Yeah i noticed that, i actually maked a shield tech(before your post) the way i said before and it worked perfectly, except for the part that it didn't defend against phasers, just like you said...So i'll stick with the Multivectral just the way it is =)

Btw now i'm making the "computer virus" torpedo tech i mentioned: i still got to learn how to add a timer so when it runs out the target ship goes back to the original group, also i need to make it so it only works when hit the hull and to work against the player, (as turning you into the attackers group could be problematic, it is better to the effect on the player is that he will involuntarily fire at friendly targets). But other than these issues that i still didn't resolved i tested the other things (changing the target group, updating his ai, etc) in the console and then scripted them in the torpedo tech, but i get this error: i need to get the target and who's fired(the attacker), to do it i put these lines:
Quote:

pFromShip = App.ShipClass_Cast(pEvent.GetSource())
pTarget = App.ShipClass_Cast(pEvent.GetDestination())

pTarget is working, it is returning the target, BUT pFromShip isn't, it is returning None, and it should return the attacker (for example, if the player's the shooter, it should return the player), so how cna i make it so it returns the attacker???
*EDIT*: ONLY to test, because if it is done this way the AI won't be able to use it, i changed the pFromShip line to "pFromShip = MissionLib.GetPlayer()", and the torpedo worked perfectly(that is, its still missing those things i mentioned before), it changed the target group, the AI was OK too, it didn't work on friendly(of the attacker, that in this case was me, the player) targets nor didn't work on stationary ships(that is, stations). So i really need pFromShip to be the attacker(the one that fired the torpedo, and not the player, although it can be the player), whoever he is, so the AI can use this tech and work, how can i do it????

SideNote: i searched App.py for GetDestination, and close to it i found the GetSource, that's why i used it... as i said before, i'm new to scripting xP, and what i learned so far i what i learned with some tutorials long ago and reading the scripts in the SDK and in my BC installation.

MLeo

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 07-27-2006 10:53 AM Post subject:

GetSource returns the projectile.

To get the (possible) ship from the projectile (it is possible to "fire" projectiles without a parent ship). You need to do the following (assuming you are using FoundationTech way of OnDefenseTorps):
Code:
pAttackerID = pTorp.GetParentID()
pAttacker = App.ShipClass_Cast(App.TGObject_GetTGObjectPtr(pAttackerID))

I can advise you to look at some existing technologies, such as the Drainer, splitting torpedoes and the Cloak Disruptor. They use a technique using FTBEvent for timers, this way the load on the computer is reduced by using only 1 timer. You can use similar constructs for your timer (the splitting torpedo is the most similar, as in something needs to happen after a period of time).

USS Frontier

Sovereign-Class
Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

Post Posted: 07-27-2006 06:17 PM Post subject:

YAY it worked, thanks Mleo! it's working just the way it should, and the AI is using it too and working.
Quote:
assuming you are using FoundationTech way of OnDefenseTorps

You mean FTech way of OnYieldTorps? Yep, thats what i'm using.

I will now search these techs you mentioned for the timer, also when testing the torpedo with the code you told me, i remembered something i forgot to mention about the ablative armor: when you're engaging a enemy with the tech, his hull bar on the target display shows the ablative armor bar too, just the way it should, BUT when he looses the armor and some hull(can see by the target list) his hull bar in the target display doesn't change, it remains full, although he already losed some hull. And Ablative Armor fills the console with prints statements. I didn't checked if these things are happening in the latest version of FTech, they are happening in the KM version of FTech, So if you already fixed this, sorry.

MLeo

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 07-28-2006 11:01 PM Post subject:

The statements in the console still happen.

I need to get around to removing them.Razz

I'm currently not sure why the hull wouldn't decrease afterwards, it's using the same code.

USS Frontier

Sovereign-Class
Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

Post Posted: 07-31-2006 07:49 PM Post subject:

Ok now about the torpedo tech: after one day testing i managed to get the timer working, just the way i wanted =)
BUT when in a medium battle (3 friendly ships, 5 enemies, for example), using the Virus torpedo too much (like infecting 3 ships, then 1 or 2 of these 3 when they return to normal) makes the game lag, and its a REAL LAG. Each time someone's timer end and they return to normal the game lags, and then when i infect them again the game lags again, and each time it lags the game stays frozen for more time than before, until you have to reset the PC because the game isn't returning to normal.
I saw this problem only in battles like the example above, or bigger than it. when it is just you and one enemy no problem, also if you're able to finish the battle, when you start another it won't lag until you use the torpedo too much, like in the previous battle. So i think the problem is in the timer, because the lags begin to happen when there are about 3 timers ending, and then when another one starts and then ends, but i don't know how to fix it...

Also, i putted a if to when the target is the player it prints a warning to the console and then return, doing nothing else, because i still didn't make the effect of the weapon on the player. but when someone shoots me the torpedo does what it does normally, and not what it should against the player, and then things get really weird.

Could you check it for me to see what i've done wrong?
The tech script is below, from scripts\ftb\Tech.

MLeo

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 07-31-2006 11:58 PM Post subject:

I don't think the timer is wrong.

What you need to do, is check out Defiants recent thread in scripting.

USS Frontier

Sovereign-Class
Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

Post Posted: 08-01-2006 01:55 AM Post subject:

I checked defiant's tread about the AddName/RemoveName issue, did his modifications (did them because his link isn't to the file, but to the KM download page, and that doesn't have the script), made the same battle as the example to see if it was lagging, and aleluia it wasn't =)

I also corrected the if i talked about, and made the effect on the player, now everything is normal (finally right?), the only thing left to do is correct any bug I or others may encounter.

Thanks by the help MLeo!

USS Frontier

Sovereign-Class
Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

Post Posted: 08-10-2006 02:30 AM Post subject:

Hey, it's me again >_<
I purchased Photoshop to make the textures to my ship, then i simply edited the texture i was using just to see if it was working, but then i came across another "bug" in the PCVirus tech, a very strange bug actually, i saw that the torpedo wasn't working against some ships (and it did hit the hull, she was my enemy, all ok) like the neghvar, vorcha and sovereing, then i begin to think what the hell did they have that was preventing the Virus from work... After some minutes i remenbered: they all have the Breen Drainer Immunity. So to test if my theory was correct i've commented out the dTechs line of the vorcha's ship plugin, and then in-game: the torpedo worked against it. So why Drainer Immunity prevents PCVirus from work? it's like besides being breen drainer immunity, it's pcvirus immunity... I'm not complaining about it, i did liked the fact that there was a tech to defend against it, it's more realistic, i just wanna know why this happens because it is very wierd and to be prepared when i make new things.

MLeo

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 08-13-2006 10:38 AM Post subject:

In your class, did you overwrite "def IsDrainYield(self):" to return 1? In that case, change it to 0, or override it (in your class) and make it return 0.

deanej

Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

Post Posted: 10-02-2006 02:28 AM Post subject:

I have been having trouble using the disablers. I gave a disruptor all of them (except multiple and random) and the disruptor just passes through the target when used and does nothing. Also, I made a ship immune to all of the disablers and the console says that the immunity is not installed, even though it is. How do I get this to work? Confused The whole thing seems to be very buggy.

EDIT: Reinstalling did not help. I also tried the breen energy drainer. It didn't work too. Also, I now need to disable the inaccurate phasers. How do I do this? I hate inaccurate phasers and I wish people would not include them in their mods without the ability to remove/disable them. Phasers are supposed to be precise, that's why you can target subsystems. This mod isn't for me or anyone else that wants accurate phasers or working technologies. Mad

EDIT 2: I managed to disable the inaccurate phasers by commenting out 2 lines of code. This should be documented at the very least. I still can't get the breen energy drainder to work.

USS Frontier

Sovereign-Class
Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

Post Posted: 10-02-2006 07:41 PM Post subject:

If you have KM installed, try using the Breen Frigate, it has the breen energy drainer (by this mod) and working.
For what I remember, in the readme it says that it has inacurate phasers, so if you don't like it, don't download it...

Sorry if i can't help you much right now, got some things to do, but i had problems kinda like yours before, i added ablative armour and some of the shield techs to my ship and it didn't worked, saying it wasn't installed, and it is caused because you didn't installed it (on your ship or projectile) correctly, trust me. Now i have ablative armour and the shield tech working for example, why? because the ablative armour script, and the shield tech script were in the wrong place. I think MLeo corrected this "file mis-placement" bug in the last release of FTech. I've also created 2 projectile techs, and both are working in 2 torpedos i created for my ship. In KM also, there a ship, i think it's the merchantman freighter, that's equipped with an Ion Torpedo, this torpedo disables the target's engines for some time, guess how he does it? with this mod. So please don't say it is buggy.

MLeo

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 10-02-2006 10:04 PM Post subject:

Just out of the box with KM doesn't always work.

Get the latest from this thread and see some of the comments.

Also, this is a beta, but a lot of problems some people experience have already been worked out (and a lot of them are in the latest package).
Just tractors and phasers to sort out.

Also, I'm considering to allow people to turn off inaccurate phasers, they are really nice, espesially now the AI has them too.

deanej

Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

Post Posted: 10-03-2006 10:10 PM Post subject:

I don't have KM. It took some work, but I got the disablers to work. There is also a typo in the readme. It says that in order to make your ship immune to disablers you should type "Disable Immunity" before listing the immunities. In reality, it is "Disabler Immunity". As for the latest version, I followed a link from Bridge Commander Central that said it was on page 5. A quick look shows that it is actually on page 8, but the links/attachments have been removed. The inaccurate phasers only require disabling a couple lines of code, but it requires trial and error to get the right lines.

MLeo

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 10-04-2006 08:58 PM Post subject:

deanej wrote:
I don't have KM. It took some work, but I got the disablers to work. There is also a typo in the readme. It says that in order to make your ship immune to disablers you should type "Disable Immunity" before listing the immunities. In reality, it is "Disabler Immunity".

Sorry, typo on my part, it should say "Disabler Immunity" in the readme.

Quote:
As for the latest version, I followed a link from Bridge Commander Central that said it was on page 5. A quick look shows that it is actually on page 8, but the links/attachments have been removed.

If you looked through this thread, then you would have known it was on page 8.

Do you have the thread where it's stated?

Quote:
The inaccurate phasers only require disabling a couple lines of code, but it requires trial and error to get the right lines.

They actually aren't meant to be disabled that way, but congratulations on doing it through that.

deanej

Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

Post Posted: 10-05-2006 12:21 AM Post subject:

MLeo wrote:
If you looked through this thread, then you would have known it was on page 8.

Do you have the thread where it's stated?
Right here, #29 on the list. (thought they appear to have a later version in the attachments)

Nebula

CA/KM/BCS:TC Mod Team Member

Zodiac: Gemini

Post Posted: 10-05-2006 01:12 AM Post subject:

ah yah I haven't updated that in a while lol

So the latest one is on page 8 now....

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

MLeo

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 10-05-2006 04:56 PM Post subject:

Nebula wrote:
ah yah I haven't updated that in a while lol

So the latest one is on page 8 now....

It has been for a while (months).

Nebula

CA/KM/BCS:TC Mod Team Member

Zodiac: Gemini

Post Posted: 10-05-2006 06:27 PM Post subject:

I ment to ask you about some of these mods but never got around to it.... I'll fix the link right now.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

ErrorS

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 10-12-2006 06:45 AM Post subject:

I'm having a few problems, maybe someone can help me.. I'm new to scripting but having a blast doing it.

AI doesn't miss with phasers.. or if they do, they don't do it nearly as much as i do. It also seems like they're a bit too inaccurate on the bigger ships. I hit a sovereign just as little as I hit a defiant when they're moving the same speed... is that just a limitation of the script?

I downloaded the scrip from page8.. should have I got one of the updates or something to fix the AI problem?

also, ablative armor is awesome but I'm having trouble with damage seeping through. I'm going to mess arond with the radius later but how exactley does the radius work? does damage go through to sensor arrays and warp engnies, those are the ones that seem to get damaged the most.. but both of these items are larger than most others.. I don't know what's causing them to get damage through the armor, the radius or the script itself. Doubling the radius over my hull just makes my hull take damage along with the armor.

thanks for the script, im loving it.

MLeo

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 10-12-2006 04:37 PM Post subject:

I just try and find the time to compile a new package with all the latest scripts.

Since my AI does miss.

The Ablative Armour fixes all damage (when possible) and deducts the damage done from the subsystem (damage to the AA subsystem doesn't count, it's counted internally and then just set).