BCU main page Bridge Commander Universe
...welcome to the new world.

FAQFAQ  RanksRanks  RulesRules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Staff SiteStaff Site    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

all BC modding projects on hold

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bridge Commander Universe Forum Index -> BC Modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  

starforce2

BCU Intersite Relations Director

Zodiac: Libra

Post Posted: 01-13-2007 05:24 PM Post subject: all BC modding projects on hold

A little while ago while attempting to put my DVD burner back in the other computer to finish backing up in preparation of transfering everything to here (my new one) the powersupply blew up. I don't know if it fried my main harddrive or not. I also wont have any access to ftp or email for bcfiles because all the passwords are on the other machine, and I can't figure out hom to start outlook express here. It seems if I click an email I get a config screen which now does me no good without the text file I ned with the stuff but as far as loaing the main screen for outlook express (there's no desktop icon and none of the exe's in the folder in program files will run, nor can I find the exe that is displayed in task manage to belong to outlook express...odd aint it?) so I am completely cut off for now. Hopefully I can find someone I know with a junker that's got a large enough supply to try and restart the other machine.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

Shadowknight1

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Zodiac: Pisces

Post Posted: 01-14-2007 01:39 AM Post subject:

Pardon my profanity, but DAMN. That sucks Starforce. Sad

Nebula

CA/KM/BCS:TC Mod Team Member

Zodiac: Gemini

Post Posted: 01-15-2007 04:44 AM Post subject:

man SF I hope you can get a new Power supply soon.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

MScott2273

Ensign
Ensign

Post Posted: 01-16-2007 06:34 AM Post subject:

yeah, i mean any other PSU would help... its hard to know what caused that original one to blow up, but its very odd. ive seen them start smoking and other crazy things like that so i know what you are going through

sfc3fan

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Zodiac: Scorpio

Post Posted: 01-17-2007 01:15 AM Post subject:

my power pack exploded once but that was because i flipped a little red switch on the back of the pack......Youre not supposed to do that by the way...

starforce2

Post Posted: 03-09-2007 11:44 PM Post subject:

I've switched powersupplies, and the old systems runs just fine. I've also put one of 2 new ram chips in the other one, and it hasn't crashed in 24 hrs. I can't seem to get the other one in the slot all the way and I'm afraid to push any harder on it, but I suspect my new system will require a reinstall. Atleast however, I can mod on this one.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

bes12000

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Posted: 03-10-2007 02:14 AM Post subject:

Normally if ram wont go in, I will put a few fingers under the motherboard in a weak spot where there arent any mounts then push with both hands, also it helps sometimes if you move the tabs in a little before pushing some more.

starforce2

Post Posted: 03-11-2007 06:04 AM Post subject:

Well, I found out why it wouldn't boot. Apparently since the first chip was in a black slot, the second one must also be in a black, rather than yellow slot. Both chips are now in and I've been beating on it for a day and no spontaneous reboots. So that issue is solved. Some programs still act odd so I'll be wiping and starting over. First however, I must back some stuff up to the 12.5gb drive I stuck in, finish clearing the 250 aux drive (for instalation on the new comp and then use the new comp's horsepower to defrag this one, since the main drive has been in this one since 2001 and has never been defragged (as far as I can remember) and do a complete scan as a slave drive to remove any nasties. After all this is done I should be back up and running, hopefully able to get legacy to run past those excessive maddoc load screens (It currently crashes right after) and then get back to modding. So far I know BC and nanofx do work, and let me tell you, the sns galaxy class on full settings on a radeon x1600xt will send you to the laundry for a clean pair of shorts.

bes12000

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Posted: 03-11-2007 06:57 AM Post subject:

The last part was funny, I didnt like my X1600 pro because it was sluggish on max settings..So I went with an EVGA GeForce 7600GT, that one you can crank it up to full everything ..including HD capabilities and it still moves like superman on crack.

Example: Tomb Raider Legend, runs that with everything on max and still getting 60fps easy.

The X1600 Pro cant run it on max without slowing down to like 30fps.

Havent tried the x1600 XT version..might be better

Very glad you got your system up and running though

starforce2

Post Posted: 03-12-2007 10:16 PM Post subject:

Well, I've managed to knock out a 250gb with 30 gb on it, trying to find a way to recover it, so that will delay things a few days no doubt. Waiting for the dvd burner to decide to burn out or lightning to strike my modem the rate this is going.

RhVaurek

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Zodiac: Cancer

Post Posted: 03-17-2007 11:00 AM Post subject:

That was a close call lol, my comps never crashed *touches wood* I bet it does now I've said that lol, My poor little 128 GeForce 5200 can run KM on full, however when the very nice models I install the SNS gal, Akira, CG Sov etc etc I think wow brilliant, then I see pics from Phycho and others of them and I want to cry at my vision of them lol. It physicaly Hurts sometimes! Thought I'd share my pain too hehe

MScott2273

Ensign
Ensign

Post Posted: 03-23-2007 06:07 AM Post subject:

starforce2 wrote:
Well, I've managed to knock out a 250gb with 30 gb on it, trying to find a way to recover it, so that will delay things a few days no doubt. Waiting for the dvd burner to decide to burn out or lightning to strike my modem the rate this is going.
lol uve got dangerous "hardware"! jk. when u try to access that HD, what does the comp say?

there are places u can send the drive to recover the data heres a couple of them:

http://www.data-master.com/
http://www.datarecoverygroup.com/

if u cant find a spare 250 anywhere, u can buy one online for around 55-65$

heres an IDE one for $64:
http://3btech.net/wediwd25at72.html

and an SATA one for $58:
http://www.ascendtech.us/itemdesc.asp?ic=HDIWD2500JS

starforce2

Post Posted: 03-26-2007 12:28 AM Post subject:

the drive works, the data is there, it's just that there's no apparent files in explorer and the size is wrong. Likely corrupted when I added a 3rd drive. Now my new computer also is doing something goofy, the main drive is on the 3rd master, despite never being moved (It can't, it's a sata) and it keeps trying to use the IDE dvd+rw as the primary master and I can't get them to switch. So anyones guess on that, as I gotta pull the ide out of the dvd till it boots then reinsert it and fight with it to get to to recognise it afterward. Ugh. I still need to put the main drive for this one into the new one to do a virus scan (because some stuff is always in memory) and a defrag which will work alot faster on a 3.4 ghz than a 1200mhz. I found a data recovery that will take care of the 250 I just need to switch it over to the new one because it will need an hd with enough space to copy to and I got more on the 250 than the main drive's max size. The next few hd switches ought to be interesting. Atelast I can mod and port ships lol.

Mike Holt

CLO - Nightsoft
Nightsoft
Nightsoft

Zodiac: Gemini

Post Posted: 03-29-2007 09:08 PM Post subject:

Raven should be returning shortly btw. He is feeling alot better.

"War is politics by other means................"

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

starforce2

Post Posted: 03-29-2007 11:34 PM Post subject:

Mike Holt wrote:
Raven should be returning shortly btw

*Jumps overboard* Laughing

Good news somewherew atelast.