BCU main page Bridge Commander Universe
...welcome to the new world.

FAQFAQ  RanksRanks  RulesRules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Staff SiteStaff Site    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Constitution Model (Pic Intensive) - Now in Technicolor!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bridge Commander Universe Forum Index -> Graphics Art Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Nebula

CA/KM/BCS:TC Mod Team Member

Zodiac: Gemini

Post Posted: 06-03-2005 12:54 AM Post subject:

Hey phaser those pics of yours may have been taken from the real studio model. The original TOS Enterprise can be viewed at the Smithsonian Air and Space museum in Washington DC.

This is the real thing...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Shinzon

CA Mod Team Member
Admiral
Admiral

Zodiac: Leo

Post Posted: 06-03-2005 01:45 AM Post subject:

see that one of those goes in my room lol

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Phaser

Star Trek Canon Authority
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 06-03-2005 05:46 AM Post subject:

Nebula wrote:
Hey phaser those pics of yours may have been taken from the real studio model.

Yes, Nebula, those shots are from the actual studio model in the Smithsonian. I said that in the first post. I wasn't talking about those shots, anyway. I was talking about schematics that I have (I haven't posted images of them).

I've seen similar shots of the studio model, but not those exact ones. Where did you get them? Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of shots of the model (way more than I have posted), most of them close-ups of details, so there's no need to post any more of them. I'm just asking because if it's from a website, it might have some unique close-up shots (you never know!).

Quick update:
I finally managed to coax Pro/E into letting me reshape the secondary hull. Now all I need to do is remake the shuttle bay, and I'll finally be able to make the nacelle pylons, followed by the nacelles (then I'll be done!! Grin ).

Nebula

Post Posted: 06-03-2005 08:07 PM Post subject:

hmm those were the only pics of the TOS Ent from the site.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Phaser

Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 06-03-2005 08:35 PM Post subject:

Nebula wrote:
hmm those were the only pics of the TOS Ent from the site.

That's okay. I have a few great sites bookmarked. One of them has 205 shots of details of the Smithsonian model!

Armondikov

Tan tan ta ra, tzing boom!

Zodiac: Cancer

Post Posted: 06-05-2005 02:52 PM Post subject:

The only thing better than having 205 shots would be having the actual model to look at.

Phaser

Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 06-05-2005 08:54 PM Post subject:

Armondikov wrote:
The only thing better than having 205 shots would be having the actual model to look at.

Yep. But I'll have something just as good once I'm done Cool. At least, that's my goal!

Quick update:
I've finally finished rescaling the secondary hull. I still have to reshape the dorsal and ventral bulges on the saucer, and resize the bridge module. But that shouldn't take nearly as long as the secondary hull. After that, I'll finally be able to move on to the nacelle pylons and the nacelles! Grin

Adm_Ross

Ensign
Ensign

Zodiac: Sagittarius
Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom, Earth, Sol System Sector 001

Post Posted: 06-05-2005 10:52 PM Post subject:

Nebula wrote:
Hey phaser those pics of yours may have been taken from the real studio model. The original TOS Enterprise can be viewed at the Smithsonian Air and Space museum in Washington DC.

[img]

Is that Matt Jeffries in this pic? Confused (I'm just curious)

We Survive! Long Live the Terran Empire

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Phaser

Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 06-06-2005 01:01 AM Post subject:

Adm_Ross wrote:
Is that Matt Jeffries in this pic? Confused (I'm just curious)

Possibly. Here's a picture of him far later in life:

Notice that he has the same nose and ears as the man in the picture you're asking about.

For those of us who don't know (I didn't before looking for his picture), he was the designer of TOS Enterprise. He died in 2003 Sad .

Here's a neat little fun fact that I learned while looking for a picture of him: Jeffries' Tubes have that name in honor of him: Matt Jeffries! Ha! I never even thought about it!

Phaser

Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 06-07-2005 01:22 AM Post subject:

Time for an update: I've finished reshaping the ventral saucer and ventral deflector dome. All that's left to do is reshape the dorsal saucer bulge, the bridge module, and reposition those three circular cuts on the ventral side of the saucer. Then I can finally move onto the engines!

Here's a strange little mesh error (see picture below). It's on the starboard ventral side of the saucer. It appeared after I made that starboard navigational light that you can see in the picture.

Lastly, as of this post, I've graduated from the academy--I am now an official BCU ensign! Yey! Smile Rolling Eyes

Phaser

Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 06-08-2005 12:19 AM Post subject:

Another small update. I've finished reshaping the dorsal saucer bulge. I've also started reshaping the bridge module. While doing so, I accidentally made a very strange shape (I think it was a glitch) while performing a 'round' function (a round function rounds an edge by a specified amount). Rounding the bridge module was a pain in the butt the first time around, and this time is no different. But, I'm sure I'll figure it out, somehow.

RCgothic

Assistant Site and Operations Director
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator

Zodiac: Libra

Post Posted: 06-08-2005 01:09 PM Post subject:

Phaser wrote:
mesh error (see picture below). It's on the starboard ventral side of the saucer. It appeared after I made that starboard navigational light that you can see in the picture.

That pic looks as though by adding the nav light you've generated polygons with more than 4 points. Even a polygon with three points can do something wierd if the 4th point is off the plane made by the other three.

In every case I've had of an error like that, polygons with too many sides have been to blame. sorting that out has solved the problem every time.

Post Posted: 06-08-2005 04:29 PM Post subject:

does this program you use work with solids instead of meshes?

LC

Armondikov

Post Posted: 06-08-2005 06:50 PM Post subject:

Looks like the problem is that you've stenciled onto the side of the ship and made a degenerate polygon. Turning it into triangles and getting in close to see what's wrong should correct it.

Phaser

Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 06-09-2005 08:45 PM Post subject:

Thanks for all the feedback!
LC Amaral wrote:
does this program you use work with solids instead of meshes?

Yes, I'm pretty sure it does.

RCgothic, Armondikov, you guys are, at least partly, correct. The error only occurs after I make the nav light--I suppressed it at one time to see if the error went away. It did.

Armondikov wrote:
Looks like the problem is that you've stenciled onto the side of the ship and made a degenerate polygon. Turning it into triangles and getting in close to see what's wrong should correct it.

The sketch wasn't made on the saucer itself. It was made on the front datum plane (I hope you know what that is--this program is very different from the ones you guys use). I don't know about degenerate polygons, or how to turn one into triangles. But I don't think this program works that way, anyway. However, if you're sure that it does work like that, please feel free to let me know.

RCgothic wrote:
That pic looks as though by adding the nav light you've generated polygons with more than 4 points. Even a polygon with three points can do something wierd if the 4th point is off the plane made by the other three.

In every case I've had of an error like that, polygons with too many sides have been to blame. sorting that out has solved the problem every time.

The nav light does something like what you're talking about. As I said, the sketch has no points that are going off of the plane where it is sketched. That's not possible when making a sketch in this program. However, the bottom edge of the saucer does curve upward near one end of the sketch. I used the bottom of the saucer as a reference (which allows me to 'place' the sketch), so I thought that might be interfering. However, after getting rid of that reference and using a different one, the problem remained. I've also tried making the base of the light longer, so it goes into the saucer, but that had no effect. That was very surprising--I really thought doing that would work.

I still have a couple of ideas that I haven't tried. I know that one of them will work. It's just a bit of a pain to do. The other is easier. I'll try that first and get back to you guys.

Again, thanks for the feedback!

Phaser

Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 06-18-2005 06:20 PM Post subject:

Okay! I've finally finished reshaping the entire starship! It's now nearly perfect! I tried posting this update two nights ago, but the forum went down! Rolling Eyes I wanted to post it yesterday, but I first wanted to know how to update the thread’s subject title. I figured that out on my own today, though.

I also want to mention that the teaser that I posted a while ago of the secondary hull is now out-of-date. I revamped everything shown in that shot.

The changes I've made aren't very drastic. They're actually pretty subtle; so subtle, that I'm going to list them:

Saucer Changes:
- Increased saucer diameter
- Increased height and diameter of dorsal bulge
- Reshaped ventral bulge
- Reshaped Sensor Dome
- Repositioned Lines on ventral saucer
- Smoothed the edge between the arc in the ventral saucer and the outer edge of the saucer
- Reshaped Ventral Navigational Lights (I will soon correct the mesh error that occurs because of them)

Bridge Module Changes:
- Completely reshaped the teardrop-shaped object that the bridge module sits on (in my head I often refer to this object as the "Bridge Module," and the real bridge as "the Bridge itself," or something to that extent. So forgive me if I refer to them as such). Specifically, I've:
-- Elongated it
-- Increased the diameter of the circular front portion
-- Made the edge much more rounded, and not perpendicular at the base to the dorsal bulge of the saucer (this was the primary reason for reshaping the Module, and was a huge pain)
- Made the arc of the Bridge itself follow the new arc of the Module, as it should
- Reshaped the Bridge Dome
- Reshaped the Bridge Navigational Lights (I overhauled the model to that extent!--Those lights are very tiny!)

Impulse Engine changes:
- Repositioned relative to the saucer

"Spine" Changes:
- Decreased its length and height (it was way too tall)
- Changed the “subtle arc” a little (see the profile of the spine on page 1)

Neck Changes:
- Completely reshaped (not a big deal considering that it's only one simple piece)
- Repositioned relative to the saucer

Secondary Hull Changes:
- Increased diameter
- Decreased length
- Reshaped Deflector Dish
- Added and reshaped rectangles on the sides and bottom
- Added and reshaped Shuttle Bay, which includes:
-- Shuttle Bay Door
-- Shuttle Bay Door "Axis" (the cylindrical object on top of the doors)
-- Numerous curves that define the area
- Added and repositioned details on the side rectangles
- Added and reshaped Aft Navigational Lights
- Added and reshaped Aft Dorsal Navigational Light and a very small item in front (closer to the bow) of the Aft Dorsal Navigational Light

I actually finished reshaping the model last week, but I've been busy with school--This past Monday, June 13th, I started taking two summer courses at my university. So I won't be giving updates quite as often, not because I won't have time to post, but rather because I won't have as much time to work on the model as I've had this past month. The classes will only last eight weeks, and I'll be working on it sporadically throughout them. I'll also have a solid month to work on it before fall classes begin.

My goal is to have this model finished before fall classes. My original goal was to get it done before my summer classes began, but the overhaul I had to do put me "behind schedule."

As usual, all comments and constructive criticisms are welcome!

Darkthunder

Admiral
Admiral

Zodiac: Aquarius

Post Posted: 06-18-2005 07:59 PM Post subject:

Damn, pity this isnt for BC Grin Perhaps for Nano's Game-engine, who knows Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Armondikov

Post Posted: 06-19-2005 01:12 PM Post subject:

Okay, which program is this made in then?

Phaser

Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 06-19-2005 08:48 PM Post subject:

Armondikov wrote:
Okay, which program is this made in then?

Read the first post of this thread.

I added the nacelle pylons two days ago. It was by far the simplest thing on this model (then again, the more I use it, the easier things get!). I'll post screenshots some time soon.

Kori Barnes

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Zodiac: Pisces

Post Posted: 06-19-2005 10:41 PM Post subject:

Nice, can't wait to see it compleated

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Phaser

Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 08-08-2005 10:25 PM Post subject:

Well, I've finally finished my summer semester, so I can get back to work on this project. That also means I can give you guys some overdue updates!

As I said in my previous post, I've completed the pylons. I also got started on the nacelles. Check it out (don't forget to click on the pictures that appear in the new window! The first and third shots aren't quite full-sized when you first open them):

Overall view

Close-up of the bussard collector

Side View

Nebula

Post Posted: 08-08-2005 10:48 PM Post subject:

looks great

Sandtrooper

totlh
totlh

Zodiac: Capricorn

Post Posted: 08-09-2005 02:32 AM Post subject:

Nice model, keep up the good work! Grin

Classic look of Enterprise:

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/9317/con1large9vd.jpg
(image resized from 801x1111 to 554x768)

It just looks like there's more to the nacelles...but there is not...

Edit: Image link restored, made picture smaller Smile

Believe it or Not
George is Not
HOME!!!

Phaser

Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 08-09-2005 03:16 AM Post subject:

Thanks, Sandtrooper, but that's a drawing of the Enterprise, and an extremely inaccurate one at that. I'm using photos of the actual studio model as references for this project.

Also, as I said earlier, I already have plenty of shots. But feel free to PM me if you find any websites that you think have rare shots of the studio model.

Again, thanks anyway. Wink

Phaser

Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 08-13-2005 08:37 PM Post subject:

Update:

I've learned that I can not only color individual pieces of the model using Pro/E (just like with other modeling programs), but I can also upload textures! Therefore, this program is all I need to make a complete model! Woohoo!

Using my new knowledge, I give you the Enterprise (WIP), in technocolor:

(As usual, remember to click on the image that appears in the new window in order to maximize the shot)

As for the model itself, I've now made the cowl, the white sphere that's partly inside the cowl, and those rectangular things near the aft end of the nacelles. I've also given those rectangles ridges, just as they should have. I'm going to give the cowl ridges soon, too.

Nebula

Post Posted: 08-13-2005 09:15 PM Post subject:

Looks great

lost_jedi

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Posted: 08-13-2005 11:03 PM Post subject:

Wow looks great Phaser! Grin

Phaser

Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 08-17-2005 03:55 AM Post subject:

It appears I have some bad news. Pro/E doesn't want to work anymore. When the program opens I get a window saying my version of the software can no longer be used. I've tried troubleshooting, but I don't think there's anything I can do for now.

Hopefully, this September I'll be able to get my hands on a newer/working version. Until then, however, I don't think I'll be able to work on this model. Sad

So much for my goal of finishing the model before the school year begins.

Cube

Astrophysics "FTW"
General
General

Zodiac: Aries

Post Posted: 08-17-2005 06:57 AM Post subject:

Im surprised youve been able to do all that without Pro/E deleting 90% of the model for no reason.

http://djcube.deviantart.com/

Micheal_Yar

Commander
Commander

Zodiac: Libra

Post Posted: 08-17-2005 10:51 AM Post subject:

Phaser will you release the mesh once it is finished or are you just going to show renders here.?

You have a dreamy mind, full of fancy and fantasy.
You have the ability to stay forever entertained with your thoughts.
People may say you're hard to read, but that's because you're so internally focused.
But when you do share what you're thinking, people are impressed with your imagination.