BCU main page Bridge Commander Universe
...welcome to the new world.

FAQFAQ  RanksRanks  RulesRules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Staff SiteStaff Site    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone tried to make a small movie w/BC? (Updated w/Vid)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bridge Commander Universe Forum Index -> BC General
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Dante Leonhart

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Zodiac: Pisces

Post Posted: 08-27-2006 07:53 AM Post subject: Has anyone tried to make a small movie w/BC? (Updated w/Vid)

I was testing out some things with controlling the sprite animations and seeing how well the external shots worked for cinematic, and they came together surprisingly well. The externals were great and the designers of this game just did an awesome job with the angles. It all just screamed 'Trek.' I mixed in the sound effects myself using what came with the game and its various mods and was pretty impressed for only a 3 hr project (barely an afternoon.) With the right script that could match the voices done in BC, one might be able to pull of one, MAYBE two episodes without becoming gratuitously repetitive. I really haven't worked on it that hard and frankly am not even sure it's possible yet. I did manage to create a small video complete with a Personal Log from Saffi that played a little while a shuttle flew around Starbase 220 and docked with one of the ships and even had a very small bit of witty crew banter at the end.

Anyway, I guess the question is: has anyone made any type of music/demo video with BC before?

I’m on a 56k connection right now, so loading up a 100mb video is a no-no until Monday.

EDIT: Link to video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=140633418228334604

MLeo

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Zodiac: Aquarius

Post Posted: 08-27-2006 03:46 PM Post subject:

This is a recurring question.Razz

There isn't a way for BC to do this internally, but you can use fraps or the like to record it.

How to beat the Black Screen Of Death and Script problems Also handles Console/Screen/Error report/dump.
BC Technical FAQ [Last updated 26/12/2005]
"Trust me, I'm a con artist" - Moist von Lipwig, "Going Postal, Discworld"

Gareth

Admiral
Admiral

Zodiac: Cancer

Post Posted: 08-27-2006 06:38 PM Post subject:

well, I guess this is the closest to a 'music video' as a person's got, lol - http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2327362306890687814

Dante Leonhart

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Posted: 08-27-2006 07:26 PM Post subject:

Quote:
This is a recurring question.*Razz*

There isn't a way for BC to do this internally, but you can use fraps or the like to record it.

Sorry, I guess I worded my post badly lol. I'm saying that I HAVE created a small video with BC. I'm was mainly wondering if anyone else had made any other BC videos so I could see the kind of concepts they might have used in its creation. As soon as I get back on a cable connection I'll upload the video I've made to youtube.

Quote:
well, I guess this is the closest to a 'music video' as a person's got, lol - http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2327362306890687814

.........LMAO

===================

Edit:

Ok, the video is up. You can take a look at it here:
But it seems that there are a bunch of other folks who have managed to put up some videos. I haven't watched them yet, but the posters for them look pretty good. Anyway, my vid is just a test run and really makes NO SENSE at all. It wasn't really meant to. I was just trying to see what I could do. The shuttle piloting is goofy (but a nod to ST:TMP) and I could have used some better music. Some of the camera movements are twitchy. There are some bugs in it, like clipping, some strange speculars (game's fault) and some inconsistencies in the editing... the framerate is also horrible, but that will hopefully be fixed soon with the addition of a brand new videocard in the next month or so. Also, Youtube has this wonderful glitch where as the longer the video draws on, the farther off the audio gets near the end. If anyone knows a good way to fix this, I'm all ears because by the end of my vid, the sound is off almost by a whole second. So much so, that it makes it seems as if Diaz has Kiska's voice and Saffi has Diaz's voice.

Anyway. It's mainly just a shuttle flying around, except for the last minute or so, which I have to say is my favorite.

Dante Leonhart

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Posted: 08-28-2006 04:53 AM Post subject:

Ok. Do not go to Youtube. Thanks go out to my bud who pointed out that Google does not have the same glitch as youtube. I uploaded it and it's confirmed. The audio lag is no longer there. So, I'm changing all the links to reflect this... but keeping the original posts:

Senator

Post Posted: 08-28-2006 08:22 AM Post subject:

I liked the chance to appreciate treck with some guitar music in the background, which I think gives a very different feeling.

Even if the video became a little bit long-winded, basicly watching a shuttle after the initial speech part... Razz

Dante Leonhart

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Posted: 08-28-2006 09:14 AM Post subject:

I agree completely. When I watch it I find myself tapping the fast-forward key just to get the sequence at the end. I think I just got over zealous with the camera angles I was workin with - got greedy and wanted to cram all the good shots in, but over did it and tipped it toward boring.

*loses 1 editing skill*

Dante Leonhart

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Posted: 11-14-2006 12:54 PM Post subject:

Wow, I look back on this and can safely say this test run was C-R-A-P-T-A-S-T-I-C!

-_-

Hind sight is 20/20

JamesTiberiusKirk

Captain
Captain

Zodiac: Gemini

Post Posted: 11-23-2006 08:04 AM Post subject:

Gareth wrote:

hehe and im the lucky guy!^^ The one whoo made this video used parts from my bc video with the borg (its very old though) Razz

And for your vid dante, still wondering how you do this XD