BCU main page Bridge Commander Universe
...welcome to the new world.

FAQFAQ  RanksRanks  RulesRules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Staff SiteStaff Site    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USS Khitomer redress of Galaxy bridge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bridge Commander Universe Forum Index -> BC Bridge Modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  

BCMike

Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

Post Posted: 03-18-2006 02:47 AM Post subject: USS Khitomer redress of Galaxy bridge

Greetings, all!

The followings are pics of the USS Khitomer bridge, used to set the scenes of Commander Willis in the SP missions. If you have not been following the thread in Scripting, go here

This backdrop piece is a departure from the clean and bright lines of a traditional Galaxy bridge. It's darker and more toned-down scheme suits the offense-related nature of this particular Nebula-Class vessel.

As you can see in the pics above, most of the stock DBridge targa files had their rbg levels cranked around to achieve the effect. Some targas were swapped from other bridges and adjusted to blend. For example, the path carpeting was taken from the Sovereign bridge and toned. The inner and outer track carpeting is from Viper Leader's diamond-plate floor texture on the Excelsior bridge, which when toned looks like a type of burbur carpeting. I think it gives a very rich look to this bridge. (BTW, the email addy in the ExcelsiorBridge readme is bad).

The aft station LCARS were changed to reflect the Nebula (they were already in the stock DBridge set folder, I just had to apply them over the Galaxy ones). The control panel LCARS are from the Ignis Galaxy Bridge Retexture.

The wall panels going up the ramp on both sides were removed and replaced with banks of LCARS (repetitive and non-active). The Ambassador Bridge LCARS display used are courtesy of LC, I just reblended it to go with the color scheme of this set's bulkheads. The blacked-out "red-alert" strips are gone as well, now just part of the console wall. In all, the panels give contrast to the otherwise muted appearance of this bridge. The plaque is from Redragon's USS Sutherland.

The little orange Galaxy schematic on the Ready Room side of the bridge wall was removed (there is just a black panel there now, which could be used to signify an inactive Red Alert telltale).

I think this set piece gives a unique appearance for the Khitomer scenes (the few times it is actually seen onscreen). We don't get to see all of it, of course, but above is what it looks like whole. Wink Besides, anything is better than seeing the same identical Galaxy bridge onscreen for nearly every ship in the game.

Now all I have to do is change the rest of them, or replace them period. Wink

Mike Smile

Treleth

"so double the killer delete select all."
General
General

Zodiac: Capricorn

Post Posted: 03-18-2006 03:00 AM Post subject:

To much mirroring, use BP to change the textures around.

Legacy

Ensign
Ensign

Post Posted: 03-18-2006 03:34 AM Post subject:

nice color scheme, but indeed treleth has a point... the stock bridge is poorly mapped and have lots of repeating all around.

LC

Life is change.

Mark

Co-Founder, 3rd Era
Admiral
Admiral

Zodiac: Leo

Post Posted: 03-18-2006 12:21 PM Post subject:

modding using BP is not permitted until a final release so you will have to stick with that ur doing.

IMO it looks too orange, although i can appreciate what you are trying to achieve

BCMike

Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

Post Posted: 03-18-2006 01:18 PM Post subject:

Quote:

Not familiar with the "mirroring" term. What does it mean? I manipulated the textures with FastStone, which is probably not what you pro model guys would approve of, but it did the job. I will admit that sometimes I see pinpoint color bleed at various times depending on the viewing angle when "sitting" on this bridge. Not at an alarming level, but noticeable nonetheless.

Quote:
IMO it looks too orange......

Interesting. I wonder if the video card plays a big role in this, as mine is a less-than-stellar ATi 200M in a laptop. I see mostly brown and mustard yellow on the side walls (due to the "recessed lighting"). Oddly, when this is used as a player bridge, it has an almost burgandy look in Red Alert (when the lighting dims). This bridge gives off very strange color effects at different angles.

Anyway, it is only a prop set like the Admiral's office or Graff's control center. I never intended it as a player bridge, but I will say that it is very dark in Red Alert (almost as if the ship is on emergency power). It kind of reminds me of the set lighting they used for the Big D in Generations.

Just thought I'd share with you guys my prop "redress". Wink

Mike Smile

Cube

Astrophysics "FTW"
General
General

Zodiac: Aries

Post Posted: 03-18-2006 02:11 PM Post subject:

Wouldn't it be simpler using a Nebula Bridge?

http://djcube.deviantart.com/

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

BCMike

Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

Post Posted: 03-18-2006 02:48 PM Post subject:

Cube wrote:
Wouldn't it be simpler using a Nebula Bridge?

No.

It had originally crossed my mind to do just that, but due to my inexperience with manipulating the mission scripts, it would have been impossible for me to setup both crew location and camera positioning on a scratch bridge. Specifically, getting someone to sit in the command chair on the Nebula bridge would be problematic, as it has no "baked in" SetLocation property for that position. I could have always used a "GalaxySeated" or "SovereignSeated" character for that position, but getting him/her lined up and triangulated on the command chair would be an ugly task for me at this point in my learning. Wink I hope to overcome this as I go, so I can start using some of these great bridges for backdrops.

Anyhow, I had always thought of the Nebula Class as being the economized Galaxy. I don't have specs in front of me, but from every shot I have ever seen of Nebulas, these ships look like they use a standard Galaxy Class saucer section. If that is the case, I see no reason why this Nebula can't have a Galaxy bridge module. This thinking is probably not economically sound, but the USS Khitomer is a special ship after all. Wink lol

Mike Smile

Treleth

General
General

Post Posted: 03-18-2006 05:21 PM Post subject:

BCMike wrote:
Quote:

Not familiar with the "mirroring" term. What does it mean?

Like LC siad its basically repeating of textures.

Phaser

Star Trek Canon Authority
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 03-18-2006 06:41 PM Post subject:

BCMike wrote:
Anyhow, I had always thought of the Nebula Class as being the economized Galaxy. I don't have specs in front of me, but from every shot I have ever seen of Nebulas, these ships look like they use a standard Galaxy Class saucer section. If that is the case, I see no reason why this Nebula can't have a Galaxy bridge module. This thinking is probably not economically sound, but the USS Khitomer is a special ship after all. Wink lol
The Nebula Class saucer is thicker than that of the Galaxy. It also doesn't have the four or five outer-most rows of windows, and its impulse engines are completely different. Other than that, though, it is similar to the Galaxy Class saucer.

BCMike

Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

Post Posted: 03-19-2006 01:11 PM Post subject:

Quote:
Like LC siad its basically repeating of textures.

Ah, I understand now. I had the same feelings then when doing it. I changed one thing and it seemed to change many more things along with it. Some of the results were unintentional, but I ended up accepting it.

The biggest annoyance for me is the repeating LCARs at the aft stations. I guess that would be one example of "mirroring". Luckily, you don't really get a good look at them anyway in the scenes I set up for it.

Quote:
The Nebula Class saucer is thicker than that of the Galaxy.

Surprised Wow, I had never noticed that. I assume that a Nebula saucer section also has more decks than the Galaxy version (not counting the stardrive, of course)?

Mike Smile

Mark

Co-Founder, 3rd Era
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 03-19-2006 03:47 PM Post subject:

BCMike wrote:
The biggest annoyance for me is the repeating LCARs at the aft stations. I guess that would be one example of "mirroring". Luckily, you don't really get a good look at them anyway in the scenes I set up for it.

dont accept things your not happy with... i didnt:

KirkNCC1701

Ensign
Ensign

Post Posted: 03-19-2006 06:06 PM Post subject:

I'm trying to do something similar to this. I have the nemesis sovvy bridge retexture, but when i hail the devore or geronimo i see a sovvy pic on the lcars behind him. I'm fixing it so u see an akira. I just need a volunteer to save my images into tga format. (My paintshop pro is not working). Can u help me out a bit?

Treleth

General
General

Post Posted: 03-19-2006 07:51 PM Post subject:

you could use the akira bridge retexture...

BCMike

Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

Post Posted: 03-20-2006 03:09 AM Post subject:

Mark wrote:
dont accept things your not happy with... i didnt:

Surprised Woah! Very nice LCARs, Mark. I assume this is from Bridge Plugin, where you have separately "mapped-on" the different textures to your own DBridge version?

This is way out of my realm. I've only been playing with the crayons. Wink Laughing

Mike Smile

JimmyB76

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 03-20-2006 05:32 AM Post subject:

BCMike wrote:
Surprised Woah! Very nice LCARs, Mark. I assume this is from Bridge Plugin, where you have separately "mapped-on" the different textures to your own DBridge version?

well he is one of the founding members of the team that made the plugin... lol
BCMike wrote:
This is way out of my realm. I've only been playing with the crayons. Wink Laughing
Mike Smile

no worries, everyone beings drawing with crayons Smile