BCU main page Bridge Commander Universe
...welcome to the new world.

FAQFAQ  RanksRanks  RulesRules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Staff SiteStaff Site    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

POLL: Is PSP the new oxygen?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bridge Commander Universe Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you have a PSP? Whaddaya think of it?
YESSSS! And if it had the right ports, I'd make sweet electrical love to it for days on end!!!
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Yeah, it's ok...
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Yeah, And I'm sorry I payed for this lump of excrement!
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
No, but I'm broke/drooling/in europe without credit card, and really want it!
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
No, And I wouldn't want one if it [i]did[/i] have the right ports!
53%
 53%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 15

bren

Commodore
Commodore

Post Posted: 06-21-2005 11:23 PM Post subject: POLL: Is PSP the new oxygen?

I LURVE MINE!

It totally, Totally rocks!
I've been surfing the net lately on it! ROCK ON! I've had some of The Empire Strikes Back, The Matrix and The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy on it! Coldplay, SnowPatrol, The Divine Comedy, The Darkness.
Pictures of my friends. Ultra smooth front end, and ability to change settings and stuff without having to restart the machine (I'm lookin' at you, DS (which I also have and love - I'm broke now)).

In case you've been in a cave on Sedna for the past sixteen months or so, PSP stands for Sony PlayStation Portable. DS for Nintendo Dual Screen.

Homer Simpson: what, babylon 5, eh? hmmm, Minibari, mmmmmmmm minibar, beeeeeeeeeeeer! p.s. thx 2 JBurrows for hosting the image for me, boomspeed wasnt workin for me Smile
www.caulfields.net/brendan

Orion 5

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Zodiac: Sagittarius

Post Posted: 06-21-2005 11:41 PM Post subject:

Oh god no. Not another gamers rant/rave. BORING! Sound Asleep

We already had a bunch of these threads, no need for more. Rolling Eyes

Nebula

CA/KM/BCS:TC Mod Team Member

Zodiac: Gemini

Post Posted: 06-21-2005 11:47 PM Post subject:

LOL well I don't have one and I want it badly

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

bren

Commodore
Commodore

Post Posted: 06-22-2005 12:20 AM Post subject:

mmm.
you do. Surprised

As for you, Mr.5, Yeah, I'm a gamer. I dont generally go in for senseless hyperbole (at least I dont genuinely mean it most of the time), but in this case (and I was surprised) I find this machine genuinely deserving of it.

downsides: slightly creaky directional buttons (auditorily) and to easy to smudge and scratch the front of it. Oh, and poor battery life ~6.5 hours at best (and since you're having so much fun, those six hours pass quick).

In my opinion, although the DS has it's plentiful charms (can't wait for Nintendogs), the PSP has a significant edge in terms of technical and aesthetic excellence, ease of use, style and form factor.

It's just a pity that the Sony brass dont get behind it more.

And by the way, Orion 5 (loved the show, pity it was cancelled) If you don't like gamers, this site must not be a very comfortable place for you?

Homer Simpson: what, babylon 5, eh? hmmm, Minibari, mmmmmmmm minibar, beeeeeeeeeeeer! p.s. thx 2 JBurrows for hosting the image for me, boomspeed wasnt workin for me Smile
www.caulfields.net/brendan

Orion 5

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 06-22-2005 12:27 AM Post subject:

The thing is some fanboy is gonna come in here and start their BS about how great their consol is and that all the others suck just because.

Phaser

Star Trek Canon Authority
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 06-22-2005 03:40 AM Post subject:

Orion 5 wrote:
The thing is some fanboy is gonna come in here and start their BS about how great their consol is and that all the others suck just because.

I guess we'll just have to steer the thread away from something like that, won't we?

Anyway, I can't vote because my opinion isn't an option: I don't want one, but I think they're cool.

Imperial_Destroyer

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Posted: 06-22-2005 03:54 AM Post subject:

my question is this:
which has the bigger battery? the DS or the PSP?
each system has its own pro's and con's
i don't want to pay for a handheld when i can get a console for less, which is VERY sad
i'm satisfied with my GBA, though i would eventually like to get a DS, mainly cause it can play GBA games, lol, and its backlit, i have the ORIGINAL GBA, not the SP

MLeo

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Zodiac: Aquarius

Post Posted: 06-22-2005 11:36 AM Post subject:

Keep it civil!

Or I'll lock the thread.

How to beat the Black Screen Of Death and Script problems Also handles Console/Screen/Error report/dump.
BC Technical FAQ [Last updated 26/12/2005]
"Trust me, I'm a con artist" - Moist von Lipwig, "Going Postal, Discworld"

Ensign Hyshka

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Zodiac: Pisces

Post Posted: 06-24-2005 06:12 PM Post subject:

I was gonna but a PSP but then i looked at the price.....they have to drop it, atleast make it 200

Cube

Astrophysics "FTW"
General
General

Zodiac: Aries

Post Posted: 06-25-2005 11:02 AM Post subject:

i hvent seen anyone with a PSP, although that may be because its not out in europe yet...

http://djcube.deviantart.com/

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Orion 5

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 06-25-2005 02:45 PM Post subject:

Ensign Hyshka wrote:
I was gonna but a PSP but then i looked at the price.....they have to drop it, atleast make it 200

Drop the price? Do you know Sony is hardly making any profit from the sales of the PSP, because of its current price.

Thunderchild

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Posted: 06-26-2005 04:47 AM Post subject:

Quote:
which has the bigger battery? the DS or the PSP?

Technically, the PSP has a bigger battry. 3.6 volt 1,800mAh Li-Ion. The DS uses a 850mAh Li-Ion.

Let's see.

Video - Several hours worth storeable on 256, 512 and 1gb DUO cards, not to mention the UMD istelf. DS cannot even store video.

Memory card access - 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024 and 2048mb DUO cards available for removable storage. DS has no form of removable storage.

PC file transfer - PSP uses USB2.0 to trasnfer files to and from any PC system (Drivers built into Windows XP). Can also FTP off of a network. DS has no PC file transfer abilitles.

Regular web-based firmware updates - Two have already been released for the PSP. Not even on the DS's agenda.

Media-based data storage - The PSP holds a lot more data on a UMD then the DS does on it's card. 16x more, to be exact. The DS's card only holds 1 GigaBIT, or 128 MegaBYTES of data. The current generation UMD holds 1.8 GigaBYTES of data, meaning bigger, longer, better looking games.

Bigger, clearer screen - PSP has a 24-bit true color. 16.77 million colors. DS's screen is only 18-bit. 262,144 colors. Sub-true color. PSP's resolution is 480 x 272 pixel, 4.3". DS's is 3" 256 x 192 pixel.

Graphics abilities - The PSP is capable of generating PS2 graphics, and then some, being a more powerful system then the PS2. The DS is a less powerful machine, graphically, then the pre-expansion N64.

Wireless - PSP uses the 802.11b standard. DS uses the obsolited 802.11 pre-WiFi standard. The 802.11 standard was obsolite in 1997..

Lol. Two of my friends at work were playing with their DSs. They were sitting aproxamtely 20 feet apart from eachother at either end of the shop. Their DSs would NOT connect to eachother. Didn't even detect eachother's presence. Meinwhile, I was surfing the web with my PSP on a router across a parking lot.

While the DS may have two screens and a touchscreen for whatever that's worth, it has so many other downfalls that it's just not even funny.

Yes, I own a DS now. So my opinion on the DS is very much based on fact. Both my brother and I own PSPs. The DS is awkward to hold, awkward to look at, it's games tend to be childish and quickly get boring..I mean seariously..Who wants to draw clouds under Baby Mario while he giggles like a schoolgirl? Or guide Pikachu around with a stylus?

At the moment, the DS's one saving grace is Super Mario 64..which is still fun. It's the ONLY good game on the DS. As a matter of fact, all of my friends who have DSs use it to play GBA games..which doesn't make sense to me. They all own either a GBA or a GBA SP..yet they use the DS STRICTLY to play GBA games? With one dead screen and a useless stylus? At that point, what's so special about the DS?

That's not a fanboy's rant, kiddies. That's all fact..and a fact-based opinion or three.

Imperial_Destroyer

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Posted: 06-26-2005 06:23 PM Post subject:

what really hurts the DS is the lack of any decent games, there are a few exceptions, but the vast majority of the games are unbalaced with the features of the DS, the DS is inovative rather than powerfull graphics, and this may kill it becuase they aren't balancing the inovations with traditional gameplay

what kills the PSP with me is that they went with a powerfull graphics system and they don't have any games i want to play on it, and it would have no capability to play any GBA games of mine
i really don't want to pay more for a handheld than a console and it have no games that i want and hope that they will make some

RCgothic

Assistant Site and Operations Director
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator

Zodiac: Libra

Post Posted: 06-26-2005 06:42 PM Post subject:

I will not fork out a stupid amount of money for a handheld. The End.

gamesfunk

Zodiac: Leo
Location: Weapons Resarch Facility, Veldhoven, The Netherlands

Post Posted: 06-26-2005 07:28 PM Post subject:

Ensign Hyshka wrote:
I was gonna but a PSP but then i looked at the price.....they have to drop it, atleast make it 200.

Dollars you mean?

Well, with my allowance and having no job (yet), it has to drop at least to 150 euros (181 dollars). If I had the money, I would rethink though, cause it's a lot of money, but there's a 80 percent chance that I would buy it.

RCGothic wrote:
I will not fork out a stupid amount of money for a handheld. The End.

Hehe Smile

G.