BCU main page Bridge Commander Universe
...welcome to the new world.

FAQFAQ  RanksRanks  RulesRules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Staff SiteStaff Site    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pegasus becomes the moderator of the Trek Tech Talk forum...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bridge Commander Universe Forum Index -> Forum Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  

JimmyB76

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Zodiac: Leo

Post Posted: 08-03-2004 09:04 PM Post subject:

good luck to all, gentlemen!

kook

trekkie
Ensign
Ensign

Post Posted: 08-03-2004 09:17 PM Post subject: oh shoot

shoot i didn't know you needed to have long answers i just thought you put the answer plain and simple, not needing to explain...does that mean i won't have as good as a chance as someone who did?

Pegasus

Resident Irishman
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Zodiac: Aquarius

Post Posted: 08-04-2004 10:40 PM Post subject:

Damn... this is gonna take a while to sort out properly...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Pegasus

Resident Irishman
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 08-04-2004 11:49 PM Post subject:

Ok, downloaded it.... It was a pain in the a** explaining alot of them, but they are all done, Bar the Warp One.

IMO, it was a VERY GENERAL question,, was there any specific aspect that should be addressed, ebcause one can write pages on it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

cds7318

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Zodiac: Gemini

Post Posted: 08-05-2004 12:21 AM Post subject:

Raven.. about there being no type 8 shuttle... are you sure? cause look what i've found on it..

Accommodation: Two flight crew, six passengers.
Power Plant: One 150 cochrane warp engine, two 750 millicochrane impulse engines, four RCS thrusters.
Dimensions: Length, 6.2 m; beam, 4.5 m; height 2.8 m.
Mass: 3.47 metric tones.
Performance: Warp 4.
Armament: Two Type-V phaser emitters.

Based upon the frame of the Type-6, the Type-8 Shuttlecraft is the most capable follow-up in the realm of personnel shuttles. Only slightly larger, the Type-8 is equipped with a medium-range transporter and has the ability to travel within a planet’s atmosphere. With a large cargo area that can also seat six passengers, the shuttle is a capable transport craft. Slowly replacing its elder parent craft, the Type-8 is now seeing rapid deployment on all medium to large starships, as well as to Starbases and stations throughout the Federation.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Zodiac: Taurus

Post Posted: 08-05-2004 01:39 AM Post subject:

Ah.........where did you find that?

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Bridge Commander Universe
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

cds7318

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: 08-05-2004 02:44 AM Post subject:

i found this info here

http://techspecs.acalltoduty.com/shuttles.html#2.3%20%20TYPE-8%20PERSONNEL%20SHUTTLECRAFT

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

morgan0210

Commander
Commander

Post Posted: 08-05-2004 04:26 AM Post subject:

I got my second set of answers in, I think I did well on those questions Smile

Another thing, about the answers to the first set: Raven, although Janeway's log in Caretaker is set at stardate 48315, that log was made three or four days AFTER the ship became stranded in the Delta Quadrant. Voyager's season 2 episode "Projections" establishes that Voyager came into the Delta Quadrant on stardate 48308, which fits in well with when Janeway made her log entry. Not trying to be a smart a** or anything, but I just thought I'd explain the reasoning for the date.

Profanity isn't allowed in this forum. - Jeff

Intrepid-class MVAM Ship Pack 1.0

Voyager Sound Pack

USSCyclops

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Zodiac: Pisces

Post Posted: 08-05-2004 07:22 PM Post subject:

so will there be anymore test's?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 08-05-2004 08:28 PM Post subject:

There will be on final test for the person chosen. It will be a discusson about non-canon theory to demonstrate the candidates ability to improvise with a base in canon info.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

USSCyclops

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Zodiac: Pisces

Post Posted: 08-05-2004 08:38 PM Post subject:

well im grounded for the next 12 days so that sux mabye at skool i can see who got chossen well see yall in a while

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

Trim

Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator

Zodiac: Aries

Post Posted: 08-05-2004 09:59 PM Post subject:

Raven Night wrote:
There will be on final test for the person chosen. It will be a discusson about non-canon theory to demonstrate the candidates ability to improvise with a base in canon info.

I wanna watch. Mr. Green

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming, "Wow, what a ride!!!"

Pegasus

Resident Irishman
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 08-06-2004 03:40 AM Post subject:

Lol... i downloaded it last night.
Did the test, wrote my answers but still am not happy with the Question:
Quote:
Describe Warp Drive and how it works. Be as thorough as you wish.

there is TOO much to write on it IMO.

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 08-06-2004 04:42 AM Post subject:

What would you write if someone asked you what warp drive is?

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

kook

trekkie
Ensign
Ensign

Post Posted: 08-06-2004 08:19 PM Post subject: close one

that was a close one i always went to the second page i almost missed the second test lol

Pegasus

Resident Irishman
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 08-07-2004 12:21 AM Post subject:

Raven Night wrote:
What would you write if someone asked you what warp drive is?

I'd ask them to be more precise.... ask them if there was any particular aspect of it that they'd like to know about.

cds7318

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: 08-08-2004 02:41 AM Post subject:

well you could answer two ways. 1. being the rude way. "Stupid watch trek and you'll know"

2. Its a form of travel used in. with a warp drive system a starship is able to go travel thousonds of light years in a matter of days.

thats just my answer to bad i didn't take the tests :-D

morgan0210

Commander
Commander

Post Posted: 08-08-2004 08:01 PM Post subject:

cds7318 wrote:
2. Its a form of travel used in. with a warp drive system a starship is able to go travel thousonds of light years in a matter of days.
Well that only answers one part of the question, you have to describe how it works too, and god that takes forever...

Intrepid-class MVAM Ship Pack 1.0

Voyager Sound Pack

cds7318

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: 08-08-2004 08:23 PM Post subject:

Simple.. Raven i don't think you need a strong trekkie.. Just someone how can use google and know how to explain it ..

The short answer is that it causes space to contract in front of a spaceship and expand behind it. This has the effect of pulling a spaceship towards a distant star and pushing it away from the earth at the same time. What is required to make the warp drive work is a lot energy (for the contraction of the space), and mysterious energy property of quantum mechanics. The quantum aspect is often called a "negative energy" density, which is equivocal to stretching a rubber sheet. Currently we have no means to produce these effects, we just know that there is a possibility that these effects could make warp drive a reality.

Matsch-Klon

DabwI' tlhIngan loD - resident Klingon guy
yo' 'aj
yo' 'aj

Post Posted: 08-08-2004 08:29 PM Post subject:

A starship usually carries vast amounts of matter and antimatter with itself, which are used as power source. Matter and antimatter react with one another in the warp core or "matter/antimatter reaction chamber", which is usually located in the main engineering section of the starship. The reaction happens controlled with the help of dilithium crystals. The vast amount of energy that is being produced is routed through plasma conduits into the warp nacelles, where the warp field coils generate a spatial distortion known as "subspace field", which partially shifts the starship out of normal space and thereby makes speeds higher than the speed of light possible.

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 08-09-2004 01:53 AM Post subject:

Well, you all did great, great job. I am afraid I had to to pick just one of you, however, and the person that wrote the answers I was looking for was Pegasus. Congratulations Pegasus, well done. Since you have been already arguing with me in the tech forum about BC2 matters, I think the last test is unecessary. You have shown you can find info, comment on it, improvise and even argue points without showing emotion. You are the person I was looking for.

Here are the questions and answers......I was more interested in seeing how you got your answers and how much you commented on the subject matter instead of copy/paste. I wanted to see what your ability was to discuss these items. Here is the list...

What is a Chroniton? Please explain the different references to it from the series to the best of your ability.

Subatomic particle that transmits temporal quanta.
Chroniton particles can be used to rephase phased matter from an interphase cloak.
Chroniton particles were generated as a waste product by an experimental interphase generator-based Romulan cloaking device.Damage to the cloaking device would cause it to emit the particles. The Next Phase [TNG]
Chroniton particles are normally emitted in small quantities through the normal operation of a Romulan cloaking device.
In 2371, chroniton particles accumulated in the hull of the starship Defiant and became lodged in the ship's ablative armor matrix. The accumulation caused a transporter beam to be deflected almost 350 years into Earth's past.

What is a Beta-Tachyon? Please give a brief explanation of when and where it was mentioned, and under what circumstances.

Form of particle that can exist only at faster-than-light velocities.
In 2373, a female member of the Q Continuum showed the Voyager crew a method to increase shield power by a factor of ten by remodulating the shields to emit a beta-tachyon pulse, then emitting a series of antiproton beams into the shield bubble.

What is a Nadion? Please give an explanation that includes the circumstances and episode it appeared.

Subatomic particle associated with high-speed interactions within atomic nuclei.
Nadion emissions accompanied the discharge of a phaser beam. Time and Again [VOY]
When searching for a cure for the deadly Fostossa virus, Dr. Crell Moset exposed the internal organs of living Bajoran prisoners to nadion radiation, killing his experimental subjects in less that a week.

Please explain what an Omega Particle is. Try to use episode situations and references to fill out your statement. Be as thorough as possible.

Short lived, highly unstable particle, believed to be the most powerful substance in the universe.
Some cosmologists theorized that Omega existed in nature at the instant of the Big Bang, when the universe as we know it was born.
An Omega molecule would be so energetic that even a few such particles could theoretically power an entire planet.
A single Omega molecule was synthesized in the late 23rd century by Dr. Ketteract, a Federation scientist. The particle remained stable for only a fraction of a second before it exploded, destroying the research station and causing subspace ruptures extending across several light years, making warp travel impossible in the region.
Starfleet Command immediately realized that the use of even a few Omega molecules could effectively end spacefaring civilization as we know it.
Starfleet not only banned research into Omega, but issued the Omega Directive, ordering the destruction of any Omega molecules and the suppression of any knowledge of the particle's existence.
Other cultures did, however, have knowledge of Omega.
The Borg, which referred to it as Particle 010, regarded Omega with near reverence. The collective believed it to exist in a flawless state and was willing to go to any lengths to assimilate it.
Another civilization in the Delta Quadrant was actually successful in sythesizing some 200 million Omega molecules in 2374, although Voyager personnel destroyed the molecules before damage to the subspace continuum could result.

Describe a Graviton. Please use Star Trek references to prove your statement.

Elementary particle that transmits gravitational force. Q-Less [DS9]
A graviton inverter circuit is a key component of an antigrav, such as those used in cargo handling units. Hollow Pursuits [TNG]
A graviton field generator is another element of artificial gravity generators and is used in force field applications as well.
An experiment in phasing technology conducted on a Romulan science vessel in 2368 completely depolarized the graviton field generator of that ship, leading to the destruction of the ship's warp core. The Next Phase [TNG]
Graviton pulses were used by Enterprise-D personnel to attempt communication with the Crystalline Entity in 2368.
Before such attempts could succeed, scientist Dr. Kila Marr, who sought revenge against the entity, adjusted the graviton beam to set up a resonant frequency that destroyed the entity. Silicon Avatar [TNG]
Graviton field energy generated by a tractor beam can be used to strengthen the structural integrity of a vessel being towed. Captive Pursuit [DS9]
A graviton field generated by a previously undiscovered life-form threatened Deep Space 9 in 2369, when an archaeological artifact, discovered by Vash in the Gamma Quadrant and stored on the station, was found to contain the entity.
After the object was beamed into space, the winged energy creature emerged from the artifact and flew into the wormhole, leaving Deep Space 9 to return to normal. Q-Less [DS9]
The Ferengi shuttle operated by Arridor and Kol sent out a graviton pulse to prevent the U.S.S. Voyager crew from beaming them out of their shuttle.
The graviton pulse destabilized the Barzan wormhole and knocked it off its subspace axis, causing its endpoints to jump around erratically. False Profits [VOY]
An interdimensional rift can be created by directing a specifically modulated resonant graviton beam into space. Scorpion, Part II

What is a Dekyon? Use show references when possible.

Subatomic particle with subspace and temporal properties.
Dekyons can travel across a temporal causality loop.
A dekyon field was used to interact with positronic subprocessors in Data's brain, permitting the transmission of a simple message to the next iteration of a causality loop when the Enterprise-D was trapped in such a loop in 2368. Cause and Effect [TNG]
In 2371 the U.S.S. Voyager used a dekyon beam to escape the event horizon of a type-4 quantum singularity. Parallax [VOY]

Describe Warp Drive and how it works. Be as thorough as you wish.

Warp drive is the system which allows a starship to travel beyond the barrier of light speed. It works by creating a field that distorts the time/space continuum enough to drive a ship past the light speed barrier. The system is basically a fluctuation superimpeller, causing the vehicle in which it is housed to alternate between two velocity states while remaining at neither for longer than Planck time. The fields of energy nest within each other, creating force against the outer field and facilitating forward movement. This effect also reduces the mass of the host vehicle in the field, assisting in the acceleration process.

A warp drive consists of three parts; the the matter/anti-matter reaction assembly, power transfer conduits and the warp nacelles. To put it simply, the M/ARA, or warp core, has three parts itself: the matter tank, the anti-matter tank, and the core containing the crystal used to create the energy stream.

The matter and anti-matter are brought together by wave guide constrictors in the core and directed to the focus crystal in streams. When the two streams combine in the focus crystal, they eniolate each other, and the resulting energy plasma is directed out of the core to the nacelles, where plasma injectors pass the plasma stream through the warp field generator coils. This causes the coils to emmit the warp field needed for warp travel.

Name the components of a Personal Communicator Badge.

Duranium casing
Subspace transceiver assembly
Dermal sensor controller
Encryption circuit assembly
Sarium krellide power cell

What is the MSD, what is it's purpose, and what kind of places can it be found on a starship?

Master Systems Display. Displays the current overall status of all ship systems. Can be used to access any ship systems, and even pilot the ship in an emergency. Usually located on the bridge and/or in the engineering section.

What does the word "Phaser" stand for? What is the relationship between Phasers and "RNE"? What is RNE? What is the name of the superconducting crystals that phasers use to create the strong nuclear forces needed to provide the destructive power of the beam?

PHASed Energy Rectification. RNE is how phaser energy is released. It is called the Rapid Nadion Effect; Rapid Nadions are short-lived subatomic particles possessing special properties related to high-speed interactions with atomic nucllei. Fushigi-no-umi crystals.

Name three types of medical devices or tools used in the series. TOS, TNG, DS9 and VOY only please, or the movies.

Alpha wave inducer, autosuture, bioregenerator, cortical stimulator, dentronal scanner, drechtal beam emmiter, exoscalpel, gentronic replicator, hypospray, microtome, motor assist bands, medical tricorder, neural calipers, neural stimulator, neural transducers, physiostimulator, plasma infusion unit, protodynoplaser, psychotricorder, pulmonary support unit, somnetic inducer, sonic seperator, stasis unit, T-cell stimulator, tissue mitigator, trilaser connector.

What is the Treaty of Algeron? The Treaty of Alliance?

The Treaty of Algeron is a peace accord between Earth and the Romulan Star Empire that concluded the Romulan Wars around 2160. It established the Romulan Neutral Zone, violation of which by either side without advance warning being an act of war. The treaty does not allow the Federation to use or develop cloaking technology on thier starships.

The Treaty of Alliance is an agreement between the United Federation of Planets and the Klingon Empire that ended the war between the two powers. The treaty allows for mutual defense and cooperation, but does not allow interference in internal affairs in either society by the other power.

What is the most exciting mod coming for Bridge Commander?

Bridge Commander 2, or BC2

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Pegasus

Resident Irishman
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 08-09-2004 02:29 AM Post subject:

Raven wrote:
I think the last test is unecessary

WHA????? Lol... you could ahve told me about that before I went and slaved over it Funny

But thanks man.... Hmm.... I HAVE POWER Funny.... (Woah... trippy Razz)

Don't worry, i'll be nice. Smile
Well, i'm off for the night, need sleep.
G'night all.

kook

trekkie
Ensign
Ensign

Post Posted: 08-09-2004 02:35 AM Post subject: what

the due date for submitting the quiz isn't here yet not for another 2 days, i downloaded late so i wasn't able to give in my answers, so how could you have chosen a moderator already?

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 08-09-2004 02:52 AM Post subject:

Sorry kook, he was already the front runner due to his prior answers and his answers in the tech forum. He provided his final answers and they showed he was the right person for the job.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Makotokat

Resident Doodler and Bridge Sweeper
Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Zodiac: Scorpio

Post Posted: 08-09-2004 03:00 AM Post subject:

Congrats Peg!

Matsch-Klon

DabwI' tlhIngan loD - resident Klingon guy
yo' 'aj
yo' 'aj

Post Posted: 08-09-2004 03:03 AM Post subject:

Nicely done, Pegasus! Looks like you don't have your old avatar or rank anymore though. Grin

kook

trekkie
Ensign
Ensign

Post Posted: 08-09-2004 03:17 AM Post subject: k

thats ok, congrats pegasus, on another note, will there be any more openings?

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 08-09-2004 04:46 AM Post subject:

Yes, we just have to see how the traffic goes.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Trim

Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator

Post Posted: 08-09-2004 07:41 AM Post subject:

Man, they will make anyone a moderator around here, j/k. Mr. Green Congrats mon ami. Wink

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming, "Wow, what a ride!!!"

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 08-09-2004 09:10 AM Post subject:

By the way, trim, I was wondering if you could design a Nightsoft avatar using the chevron only, perhaps in a dark purple color with the Nightsoft "orbit N" in the background like the ones you make. The text would simply say Nightsoft in the same color and font as the one you use for BCU.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe