BCU main page Bridge Commander Universe
...welcome to the new world.

FAQFAQ  RanksRanks  RulesRules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Staff SiteStaff Site    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Max glass/water reflection help.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bridge Commander Universe Forum Index -> Graphics Art Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Cube

Astrophysics "FTW"
General
General

Zodiac: Aries

Post Posted: 01-15-2006 04:21 PM Post subject: Max glass/water reflection help.

To try and learn moddeling (so i can then make ships for BC), i have decived to start moddeling everyday things. One problem i am having is i'm getting wierd reflections in my water/glass materials when rendered in max.

Does anyone know hot to make it better?

http://djcube.deviantart.com/

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Armondikov

Tan tan ta ra, tzing boom!

Zodiac: Cancer

Post Posted: 01-16-2006 10:06 AM Post subject:

You're lacking antialiasing on the right, but not on the left, which is strange. Just experiment by changing your surface and lighting settings until you're happy.

Creative Inc

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Zodiac: Pisces

Post Posted: 01-16-2006 10:14 AM Post subject:

Depending on what version of max your using, you can use the mental ray renderer to get what your looking for. As for what you said, Armondikov, anti aliasing is off by default for refractions and reflections in Max. It speeds up rendering times considerably.

EDIT: I have version 7 of Max and I was just looking around and found this:

When you assign the mental ray renderer as your default renderer, new materials appear materials/mp browser (ie: standard, raytrace, blend - in with this group) One of them is Glass (physics_phen). Once applied to your object, you shouldn't need to tweak its setting. Although, if you do want causatics, I recommend you go to the indirect illumination tab of your rendering settings and turn it on and play around with some of the setting in there.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Armondikov

Post Posted: 01-16-2006 10:19 AM Post subject:

That would explain it.

Creative Inc

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: 01-16-2006 04:18 PM Post subject:

Also... When using refractions and reflections, they will pick up the background when rendering even if you cannot see it on the screen. So any vast amounts of black you see with rendering glass, it's probably the default black background. Change the background to something other then the black (an image will work great) should also help with your renderings.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Cube

Astrophysics "FTW"
General
General

Zodiac: Aries

Post Posted: 01-16-2006 06:29 PM Post subject:

Thanks. btw, that scene with the glass vase looks amazing.

http://djcube.deviantart.com/

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Creative Inc

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: 01-16-2006 06:38 PM Post subject:

Yeah. Glass can be a pain to get looking realistic. Using mental ray is actually faster then rendering the relfections and refractions with the scanline renderer. Plus, mental ray uses antialiasing to boot. On my machine, that vase took about 4 minutes to render and about 7 seconds as the default, but that's just my machine.

Armondikov

Post Posted: 01-16-2006 07:25 PM Post subject:

Creative Inc wrote:
Also... When using refractions and reflections, they will pick up the background when rendering even if you cannot see it on the screen. So any vast amounts of black you see with rendering glass, it's probably the default black background. Change the background to something other then the black (an image will work great) should also help with your renderings.

Good point, reflection is 99.99% to do with what the surface is reflecting. You'll have to model the best part of the room or stick a suitable image behind the camera for it to work properly. You may be able to map a texture straight to the backdrop but I have no idea if MAX has anything like Texture_Environment.