BCU main page Bridge Commander Universe
...welcome to the new world.

FAQFAQ  RanksRanks  RulesRules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Staff SiteStaff Site    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wing Commander MOD BETA2 being released!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bridge Commander Universe Forum Index -> BC Downloads
View previous topic :: View next topic  

bes12000

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Posted: 02-05-2007 06:00 AM Post subject: Wing Commander MOD BETA2 being released!

As the title says im releasing some of my work on this project,please do not whine about stuff as I have already whote all known bugs I can think of down in the readme, I just want people to try it out,tell me nicely without whining about some stuff that you have found that IS NOT in the readme. Enjoy it because there is alot more to come,all new models for one.

Well im going to keep this spot open untile I can get the darn 17meg file uploaded without my Email whining to me about the file size..

when its uploaded ill post a link to it here

bes12000

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Posted: 02-05-2007 06:27 AM Post subject:

OK here is the link,just make a free account(VERY SIMPLE process) in order to download it,acctually not sure if you have to sighn up or not..:

http://www.filehosting.cc/?d=44FB7629

I need someone from BCfiles to put this on bcfiles.com please,but for now here is the link,make sure and virus check it.

Dante Leonhart

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Zodiac: Pisces

Post Posted: 02-05-2007 07:16 AM Post subject:

I was JUST looking at the old WC mods earlier today. (Not for any particular reason... really... *innocent look*)

^_^

I love Wing Commander. That was the greatest game when I was in the 5th grade. Can't wait for this.

bes12000

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Posted: 02-05-2007 08:17 AM Post subject:

Just dont be upset if its not what you expected...im not done yet..this is just a BETA, I have LOTS to do still,that includes new models..

yeah I spent like $180 on ebay to grab the Kilrathi Saga(1,2 and 3 Wing Commander),another $60 for WC4 and i already had prophecy with the spec ops expansion.most of the work is being able to extract the files still using ancient tools since no one wants to make a new tool to get the files to extract...right now im making models using the old mesh from the original ships,if I cant find the mesh I have to rely on pics alone..

Them crazy people used a dos encrypted and compressed filesystem just for those games only..had to pry the programs to extract all the files from a website thats about to die due to the admin being gone...

Dante Leonhart

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Posted: 02-05-2007 10:40 PM Post subject:

I would kill to get my hands on Super Wing Commander - the original game only with voices.

bes12000

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Posted: 02-06-2007 02:39 AM Post subject:

One thing you notice though when putting your mod on a file hosting place,you see how many people acctually take the time to download it ...so far its not much..

I dont like to do alot of work and not see anyone downloading the darn thing...but oh well..ill continue to finish it and if people still dont download the final one I guess ill be modding something else thats more popular..

Dante Leonhart

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Posted: 02-06-2007 02:28 PM Post subject:

I think people aren't taking the time to download it because it isn't a finished product.

JimmyB76

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Zodiac: Leo

Post Posted: 02-06-2007 04:03 PM Post subject:

bes12000 wrote:
One thing you notice though when putting your mod on a file hosting place,you see how many people acctually take the time to download it ...so far its not much..

I dont like to do alot of work and not see anyone downloading the darn thing...but oh well..ill continue to finish it and if people still dont download the final one I guess ill be modding something else thats more popular..

you should try plugging the mod at more than one forum... perhaps put similiar threads at FF and BCC... also, i would rather wait until a final version is ready before putting it on BCFiles... also - why did you put all the ships and sfx into a BCMod format? you have a data folder in the download already, why not just have a data, scripts, and sfx folders so people can just copy/paste thse 3 folders into their install? it would make things easier on people... i would also recommend making plugins for people (i.e. the py's that would go into scripts/custom/ships) also...

bes12000

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Posted: 02-07-2007 05:01 AM Post subject:

As ive said in the readme,I chose to place all files into BCMOD packages because its alot easier to uninstall and reinstall and update when needed for testing the mod,I need to keep track of the ones ive done aswell,and no need to copy and paste as all files are placed into the correct folders....except mybe a few missing .TGAs for the weapons..ive already tried this same method on another comp..and all files went to the right spots.

I could have placed all the ships into one giant BCMOD package,but then it would just confuse me since I already have a full plate of stuff to do..

If you choose not to upload the file to BCfiles because its a beta and has all the files in BCMOD packages than so be it I guess...but my previous files were BETA aswell and they are on bcfiles(i perfer the BCMOD packages alot better than the copy and paste,like my previous files)..but I would rather not get into it with you about it but I figured I would point that out..

Also I have already stressed that it was a BETA and wanted people to test it out...

I figured it would be logical to keep the sound .pys with the sound files,also to better keep track of them and for easy uninstall..

When the final version comes out all the files will most likely need to be replaced,so why go and dig for them for uninstall when you can click on the handy uninstall BC mods folder and select them?

JimmyB76

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Zodiac: Leo

Post Posted: 02-07-2007 09:36 PM Post subject:

i'm just suggesting that you should make the installation process as easy as possible - people at bcfiles will likely complain if they have to give any thought into installing it lol

and, bcmod is kinda outdated - perhaps putting it into an exe? it is kinda recommended to avoid bcmod files, because of the problems with the file checker and menus options...

also, someone at FF yesterday made a thread asking for beta testers and got alot of replies, i would recommend you try FF as well; you might get alot more beta testers that way...

as far as uploading to bcfiles, again, i would much rather put up something that is final and all the kinks worked out, it is just easier that way - any time someone posts something wrong with a mod in the comments sections are immediately prompted to go to the forums with their technically-related issues, so perhaps just having a Beta Thread for people to post issues would be easier...

Star Dragon

Brigedier General (EDF)
Ensign
Ensign

Zodiac: Virgo

Post Posted: 02-15-2007 12:57 PM Post subject:

I've noticed that screenshots and trailers go a long way towads generating interest. Plus it spreads a buzz about the mod.

I've never really payed much attention when people say "download this". But when a screenie catches my eye or I see an exciting clip I say "Where's the Download?" Grin