BCU main page Bridge Commander Universe
...welcome to the new world.

FAQFAQ  RanksRanks  RulesRules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Staff SiteStaff Site    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Mpe Q & A Thread.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bridge Commander Universe Forum Index -> BC Modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Laurelin

Pro-Captain
Pro-Captain

Post Posted: 03-24-2004 06:51 AM Post subject:

If I recall correctly, didn't someone from TG once say that the decoy thing was supposed to be something that would have had to be scripted into a mission. Course with the mission library documentation being incomplete, I doubt we'll ever know now.

Laurelin

Pro-Captain
Pro-Captain

Post Posted: 03-24-2004 06:53 AM Post subject:

Phoenix wrote:
Well i'll be, ok i followed ur intrauctions and all i can say is, THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH

my ship now has all the weapons i wanted it to and some, all i can say is u really are the queen of hardpoints! thanks a million!!!!

YW Smile

black_patriot

Ensign
Ensign

Zodiac: Scorpio

Post Posted: 03-24-2004 10:54 AM Post subject:

I've been moding my Prometheus and replacing the torpedoes with pulse weapons loades with torpedo scripts but they don't seem to work. I have no idea what to do.

Phoenix

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Zodiac: Aries

Post Posted: 04-01-2004 01:07 PM Post subject:

ok its me again to bug u lot rotton, Sorry bout this, lol.

Ive finished Making all weapons for my ships and i noticed that i can have flashing lights on my vessles, I tryed to do this but they where Square not round and a bit too high for my ship, Any ideas on how to fix this or even a quick tutorial for me would be apreciated, Thanks a million!

?ĦǾЭŇĬX?={₣эŦŦ}=Ĵ=
Part owner of the ?ITH-E-MART?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Laurelin

Pro-Captain
Pro-Captain

Post Posted: 04-05-2004 04:12 AM Post subject:

The blinkers will only work if you use NanoFX2 they were never finished in BC. Dunno how to do it with Nano2, since I don't use it.

NeoKaede

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: 04-06-2004 09:43 AM Post subject:

for the blinkers:

add them in the mpe, put the values you want and in the texture path type "scripts/Custom/NanoFXv2/SpecialFX/Gfx/Blinker/Blank.tga". be careful not to do a mistake in the path (for example, no include the c:\program files etc, cause people with the game in a different folder will see them as squares). i usually copy and paste the path from a working hp to make sure Smile

a tip: select the color BEFORE everything else. sometimes it resets all the values and you have to set them again.

NeoKaede

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: 04-06-2004 10:00 AM Post subject:

now my turn:

how do you know what are the values for the colors when making a torpedo or a pulse? the figures in the .py are different to the ones inside mpe.

starforce2

BCU Intersite Relations Director

Zodiac: Libra

Post Posted: 04-06-2004 05:46 PM Post subject:

NeoKaede wrote:
now my turn:

how do you know what are the values for the colors when making a torpedo or a pulse? the figures in the .py are different to the ones inside mpe.

They are controled by their projectile script. Beams are controled in the mpe. And shield colors too. Ofcourse, you could always change the projectiles color numbers to all 100's (should give you white) and then mess in the MPE and see if u get anything? Would be interesting. One question I never got an answer too was which controls damage on pulses, mpe or the py or if it adds them, or uses the largest number or?? lol. wierd how tg didn't finish some stuff and duplicated others.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

NeoKaede

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: 04-07-2004 05:16 PM Post subject:

the problem is the mpe defines the colors as (for example) 255,255,255,0. but in the py the values are different, something like 0.0001. whats the format of the numbers?

about the damage, it seems the game uses the values set in the pulse script. but as always, im not sure.

USS Phoenix

Department Head, CTU Field Operations
BCU Mod Team
BCU Mod Team

Zodiac: Capricorn

Post Posted: 04-07-2004 05:54 PM Post subject:

starforce2 wrote:
which controls damage on pulses, mpe or the py or if it adds them, or uses the largest number or??

Its the .py file. The MPE's damage values do absolutely nothing, for some reason.

Quote:
the problem is the mpe defines the colors as (for example) 255,255,255,0. but in the py the values are different, something like 0.0001. whats the format of the numbers?

The decimal numbers are percentages. Like 0.5000 would be 50% intensity, which would be about 128 in the 255-type setup.

Laurelin

Pro-Captain
Pro-Captain

Post Posted: 04-07-2004 09:29 PM Post subject:

umm take the color values in the mpe and divide them by 255.

1.e. 255 = 1.0, 128 = 0.5, 64 = 0.25, etc.

Phoenix

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Posted: 04-08-2004 03:35 PM Post subject:

Here is another one for u brilliant mpe gods, i have added some more weapons to my ship BUT...here is the problem, i cant work out the correct icon posistion for the weapon arc icon and the fireing icon, could any one pls help, THanks again NIX!!!

?ĦǾЭŇĬX?={₣эŦŦ}=Ĵ=

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

starforce2

BCU Intersite Relations Director

Zodiac: Libra

Post Posted: 04-08-2004 11:13 PM Post subject:

Phoenix wrote:
Here is another one for u brilliant mpe gods, i have added some more weapons to my ship BUT...here is the problem, i cant work out the correct icon posistion for the weapon arc icon and the fireing icon, could any one pls help, THanks again NIX!!!

markallens tactical icon editor from BCfiles. u will need to save the icon as bmp to use it in that progy.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

Phoenix

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Posted: 04-08-2004 11:31 PM Post subject:

are u saying that would put the weapons icons where i want???? COOL!!

?ĦǾЭŇĬX?={₣эŦŦ}=Ĵ=

Pegasus

Resident Irishman
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Zodiac: Aquarius

Post Posted: 05-03-2004 03:37 PM Post subject:

Yup... that program has saved my *ss on many an occasion.
I can remember a time when it was all done by hand Funny

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

NeoKaede

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: 05-07-2004 10:18 PM Post subject:

Sometimes the hull of my ships gets damage even with the shields at 90%. Why? Is it a problem in the hardpoint?

Laurelin

Pro-Captain
Pro-Captain

Post Posted: 05-09-2004 11:43 PM Post subject:

NeoKaede wrote:
Sometimes the hull of my ships gets damage even with the shields at 90%. Why? Is it a problem in the hardpoint?

Shields don't stop all damage, especially on torps and disruptors.

NeoKaede

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: 06-27-2004 10:58 PM Post subject:

question about the repair system:

the repair points are divided between all the repair teams (5 points each team if we have to teams and 10 repair points), or each team repairs the quantity stated in the hp (in the other example, both teams repair 10 points)?

Commodore DH

Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

Post Posted: 11-03-2004 12:06 PM Post subject:

Right a couple of questions,

how do i get the systems to be exactly where I want them without having to guess where they are and then load up BC look where they are then open MPE again and make some adjustments to its position, as when i make edits to the positions of weapons for example i get the arc showing up but it will be sunk deep in the model but when it fires its where i've wanted it as i have been using a small light and moving it around until its been in place by looking at it in BC and then copying the xyz co'ordinates of the light to the weapon. This is extremely slow and annoying there must be a easier way to do these otherwise people wud just give up all the time.

Secondly where can i find a catalogoue if u like of the different icons for the weapons arc indicators and weapons icons for the 2d tactical icon display in the bottom right of the screen in BC and how do i know where im putting the icons when i stick in the co'ordinates or is this just guess work too?

Lastly is there any way of adding say a special weapons fire button to BC instead of just having f or mouse 1 for phasers g for disruptors and x or mouse 2 for torps. I have made a ion cannon mod for klingon ships and want to add it with out having to add it to torps or pulse weapons so that i only get the cannon to go off when i want rather than when standard torps or disruptors go off. Is there a way to set firing groups in the game using MPE so that u select a group and only those will fire when selected?

I also had trouble adding tractors to my veracidor so i didnt add them i copied how they were configured from another ship that had them and it just didnt work.

Lastly is there a way you can make two beams emit from one hardpoint like the TMP phasers without having to install two weapons hardpoints right beside each other and halfing their damage so that u dont vapourise ur enemy with double intensity of both beams?

Im going insane attempting to work all this out and am desperate to get it working correctly as I have some original ideas for weapons and I want to add them my ships and maybe release some more HP's.

Sorry if these questions have ended up like an essay on the thread but this is what i'd really like to know about so i can carry on modding without going grey at the age of 18 and my head becoming part of the monitor.

regards,

Commodore DH

Laurelin

Pro-Captain
Pro-Captain

Post Posted: 11-04-2004 12:16 AM Post subject:

Commodore DH wrote:
Right a couple of questions,

how do i get the systems to be exactly where I want them without having to guess where they are and then load up BC look where they are then open MPE again and make some adjustments to its position, as when i make edits to the positions of weapons for example i get the arc showing up but it will be sunk deep in the model but when it fires its where i've wanted it as i have been using a small light and moving it around until its been in place by looking at it in BC and then copying the xyz co'ordinates of the light to the weapon. This is extremely slow and annoying there must be a easier way to do these otherwise people wud just give up all the time.

It's a bug with disruptors. Moving them a little bit back into the model instead of placing them on the surface usually fixes it. Though you still may have to play with it some.

Quote:
Secondly where can i find a catalogoue if u like of the different icons for the weapons arc indicators and weapons icons for the 2d tactical icon display in the bottom right of the screen in BC and how do i know where im putting the icons when i stick in the co'ordinates or is this just guess work too?

Someone made a tactical icon editing program once upon a time, might wanna check on BCFiles and see if it's there. Which BTW is mentioned on page 5 here. Oh well, at least I read the stuff here Razz

Quote:
Lastly is there any way of adding say a special weapons fire button to BC instead of just having f or mouse 1 for phasers g for disruptors and x or mouse 2 for torps. I have made a ion cannon mod for klingon ships and want to add it with out having to add it to torps or pulse weapons so that i only get the cannon to go off when i want rather than when standard torps or disruptors go off. Is there a way to set firing groups in the game using MPE so that u select a group and only those will fire when selected?

No.

Quote:
I also had trouble adding tractors to my veracidor so i didnt add them i copied how they were configured from another ship that had them and it just didnt work.

That's not a question Razz Did you add a new weapon ststem template and make it a tractor system? Did you then add tractor templates?

Quote:
Lastly is there a way you can make two beams emit from one hardpoint like the TMP phasers without having to install two weapons hardpoints right beside each other and halfing their damage so that u dont vapourise ur enemy with double intensity of both beams?

No. Why not install 2 weapons? Just make the one and then copy it and move it slightly to the side.

Commodore DH

Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

Post Posted: 11-04-2004 09:52 AM Post subject:

Yep I did install a new weapons system and switched it to tractor beam, and added tractor beams as weapons. Its not just the pulse weapons that are in the wrong places, its the beam weapons too, how do i set up MPE so that where I put the firing arcs of the weapons in theory they should appear?

Laurelin

Pro-Captain
Pro-Captain

Post Posted: 11-04-2004 09:00 PM Post subject:

Is the model scale set to .01?

Commodore DH

Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

Post Posted: 11-13-2004 11:04 PM Post subject:

yep

tiqhud

Pro-Captain
Pro-Captain

Post Posted: 02-23-2005 08:05 PM Post subject:

Why,,, when I warp to another system ,,, Do I lose my blinkers Question

OH the blinkers I added using MPE

example::: I star out in DEEPSPACE in a Prometheus with a total of 10 blinkers,
I warp to riha and look , my ship has six blinkers,,, I warp back to deepspace I now have four blinkers...

and It is not with just the prometheus,,, it also occurs in a Romulan Warship (except it only has 6 blinkers,,,

Is there a bug when I warp Question
or is it something else,,, Question

(The blinkers I placed on some Stations seems to be OK)

Well it is NOT just the ones I've added blinkers to,,, the Courageous also has blinkers and does same thing Exclamation

So is it a warp bug, or what Question

I didn't do it
If we don't learn from our Mistakes, we will surely repeat them.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
According to the way society is going, I'll need a college Degree just to change a light bulb

Shinzon

CA Mod Team Member
Admiral
Admiral

Zodiac: Leo

Post Posted: 02-23-2005 08:46 PM Post subject:

tiqhud wrote:
Why,,, when I warp to another system ,,, Do I lose my blinkers Question

OH the blinkers I added using MPE

example::: I star out in DEEPSPACE in a Prometheus with a total of 10 blinkers,
I warp to riha and look , my ship has six blinkers,,, I warp back to deepspace I now have four blinkers...

and It is not with just the prometheus,,, it also occurs in a Romulan Warship (except it only has 6 blinkers,,,

Is there a bug when I warp Question
or is it something else,,, Question

(The blinkers I placed on some Stations seems to be OK)

Well it is NOT just the ones I've added blinkers to,,, the Courageous also has blinkers and does same thing Exclamation

So is it a warp bug, or what Question

obviously something to do with nanofx...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Admiral Norton

Commands the whole Starfleet for 184 years (he
Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

Post Posted: 04-02-2005 10:04 PM Post subject:

I'm completely new to MPE and I want to add the Galaxy an aft phaser strip (a little cheat to make the game easier, I never fired at moving targets from rear torpedo tubes, Felix did it for me).

tiqhud

Pro-Captain
Pro-Captain

Post Posted: 04-05-2005 08:14 PM Post subject:

this is the MPE tutoral on bcfiles, I cleaned it up a bit there were some characters that didnot display on then screen right. Grin

Model Property Editor

run the .reg file in the ModelPropertyEditor folder Only after you have run ModelPropertyEditor.reg
then you can run the ModelPropertyEditor.exe .(if you do not it will not run correctly).

1.)first step go to menu on the top left and to edit/options. The scale must be 0.01 but when you have
run the ModelPropertyEditor.reg that should be done already.

2.)All you need to do now is to enter the path for the ships models and the Hardpoint files like
D:\games\Bridge Commander\data\Models\Ships\ in the first line and for example
D:\games\Bridge Commander\scripts\ships\Hardpoints\ in the second line. Type your folder locations
ok and that's it, now we can start

3.) go again to the left menu to File and then open. If your directory (step 2) was correct you should see
now your BC/model/ships folder with all the installed ship. click on the ship folder you want and then on the
ship.nif for example sovereign.nif (not the _low nif not the vox.nif just the clear sovereign.nif)!!!
When you click on any other .nif file other than the clear ship.nif it will not work!

4.) Now you should load the model and some sec. later it will say no hardpoint file found do you want to load
one .. you can do it now or later,,,well I load them later just because well don't know. Sometimes I get a
graphic bug with a white ship when you load the hardpoint files before resizing the window...

5.) if you don't load the HP file now then file open menu has changed .. when you click on files/open again
now you will not land in the model/ships folder again like step 3.) now the tool has recognized that you
already have a model file loaded and will open automatically the HP folder .. so you see it does not make more
work to open HP files later.

6.) well you can see now the ship in the black window if you followed the instructions. What Is meant with
resizing the windows is just its a bit small so I make bit bigger and resize it to the right .. and
sometimes you get a white ship after resizing when the HP file is loaded.

7.) ship in the perfect position (only if scale was 0.01 see point 1) and if the HP is not loaded we load
it now as told just open/file again an the hp file you want.

8.) last step when the ship is loaded there is a new explorer style menu in the left navigator window .. with
[+] no name ... click on the [+] and now again on the [+] no name. when you have click twice on
[+]no name you will see the menu scene root .. and that's it .. click on scene root and in the right menu
you will now see all ship system .. you can edit\view all systems just double click on them or click on [edit].

==============================================
how to place a system: 3 steps are necessary to change the position of a system.

1.) In the top menu in the second line you can see 5 tools just next to the right yellow "?"
well the first 2 tools are the move the ship in the window, the 3rd is zoom in/out, the 4th is NOT IMPORTANT
for us (its to locate what mesh part you have when click somewhere on the ship) and the LAST TOOL (5) is Locate!

72.) click on the Locate tool .. now the MPE will remember the coordinates anywhere you click with your
mouse .. so just click on the position you want the system to be placed on the ship, the MPE remembers
this place .. then click on the system (edit or double click) and

3.)A new window will open as always when you edit a system with all the systems specs. and there you click
in the top menu on "Subsystem Properties". in that window you can see 3D Position on the left bottom and
the button "Get Position". When you click on that Get "Position" button the MPE will draw the coordinates
in it has remembered and the system is exactly on that position .. you can change the values manually again
if you when or click on a new position if you want to move it again!

I didn't do it
If we don't learn from our Mistakes, we will surely repeat them.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
According to the way society is going, I'll need a college Degree just to change a light bulb

Admiral Norton

Commands the whole Starfleet for 184 years (he
Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

Post Posted: 08-09-2005 05:57 PM Post subject:

I think this question has been asked before: where can I find the list of the weapons icons teogether with their numbers?

Tuvok1101

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Zodiac: Sagittarius

Post Posted: 11-23-2005 02:28 AM Post subject: GRR MPE

I have a problem with MPE. Everytime i loa a ship model is comes up white with no details. How do i fix this? i've tryed everything! someone said you just try loading the ship model again and i still get the same error! What can i do to fix this?

P.S. I am using the Kobashi Maru mod.

Thanks In Advanced!

CP1985

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Zodiac: Pisces

Post Posted: 05-18-2006 03:18 AM Post subject:

Hi all im trying to add a phaser to a ship, I've tried now at least a hundred times. It refuses to show up in game. I've added a Phaser subsystem and the weapon itself. It wont save the changes and it wont show up in game. All im trying to do is add a forward disruptor beam to a ship. I make the appropriate phaser weapon system and add it to the model. Then I make the disruptor beam and add it. MPE does not save any of the changes. Does anybody have any suggestions or ideas as to what im doing wrong? I just dont understand what im doing wrong, the ship has 2 forward disruptor cannons and 1 forward torpedo tube. I notice they are hardpointed way in front of the model. Can that be what im going wrong? But then I look at another model and the weapon system for the disruptor and the disruptor beam are both added to the model itself.