BCU main page Bridge Commander Universe
...welcome to the new world.

FAQFAQ  RanksRanks  RulesRules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Staff SiteStaff Site    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fed Battleship concept, phase 2....details

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bridge Commander Universe Forum Index -> BC2 Project
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Zodiac: Taurus

Post Posted: 04-02-2005 12:31 AM Post subject: Fed Battleship concept, phase 2....details

Started a new thread to reduce the load times due to lots of pics. Here is the current mesh, with some changes and adjustments.

First, reworked the nacelles a bit....just some edits here and there to make it a little more smooth. Added the dorsal phaser strip on the saucer, reshaped the saucer impulse vents, added a set of observation windows in the nose, indentations for the dormant warp engines and ramscoops in the saucer, and other minor tweaks and corrections. I still have to make a ventral phaser strip, and add strips on other spots on the hull.

Pics and mesh posted.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Bridge Commander Universe
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 04-02-2005 12:33 AM Post subject:

Here are some detail pics.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Zambie Zan

Commander
Commander

Zodiac: Sagittarius

Post Posted: 04-02-2005 01:04 AM Post subject: Re: Fed Battleship concept, phase 2....details

Raven Night wrote:
Pics and mesh posted.

What are those small antennas on the tip of the nacelle pylons ?

Nebula

CA/KM/BCS:TC Mod Team Member

Zodiac: Gemini

Post Posted: 04-02-2005 02:08 AM Post subject:

sensors

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

NeoKaede

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: 04-02-2005 08:36 PM Post subject:

Well, a classic design, and without a pod. I like it.

Though I think that sensor spikes on the nacelles would look better if they were a little longer, like that things in the Soyuz. My 2 cents.

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 04-03-2005 10:09 PM Post subject:

Here is my take on this ship.

The Soyuz was designed specifically to be a long range sensor platform. Normal sensors have a reach of one sector, long range sensors can be boosted to 1.5 sectors. At that range resolution is very low, and the computer has to make a "guess" basically at what it is looking at. Only specialized sensor platforms could reach farther, out to 3 sectors max at medium resolution. The Soyuz was fitted with platform sensor arrays, giving it deep space sensor capability. This would double the amount of time allowed to get ready for incoming hostile forces.

The Soyuz was withdrawn from service in favor of deep space scout ships.

The problem with this approach, made apparant in the Cardassian war and the war with the Dominion is that scout ships, though fast, are venerable to most high speed heavy assault ships. Losses were high.

When the war with the Breen broke out, there was almost no warning. In this new type of war the hypergates allowed the Breen to deposit huge amounts of threat vessels into a sector of space almost instantly. The only warning is the hyperwave, detectable by only the most sensitive sensor systems.

So this ship was commisioned. It originally was a scout, but the design was changed to make it mission specific....the support of a battle group. Two of them would be placed in a task force anchored by a Centurion, and this would give both heavy capital starship defense and long range high resolution sensor detection capabilities. This is very important for the task force to operate properly.

The sensors on this ship can reach across 3 sectors at high resolution, and 4.5 sectors at medium. 6 sectors is the maximum range. At maximum range, the task force would have 3 hours warning before a ship traveling at maximum warp would enter thier operatiing theater.

Just a little background into my thinking for this concept.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

NeoKaede

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: 04-04-2005 09:10 AM Post subject:

So like an AWACS, then.

In that case, I would give her more spikes, maybe at the front of the saucer, to visually enforce the task of this ship.

CaptainWolff

1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Zodiac: Virgo

Post Posted: 04-04-2005 03:20 PM Post subject:

NeoKaede wrote:
So like an AWACS, then.

In that case, I would give her more spikes, maybe at the front of the saucer, to visually enforce the task of this ship.

Or a disc like the awacs aircraft or the uss pheonex (nebula class) has.

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 04-05-2005 03:58 PM Post subject:

Well, I wanted to keep the saucer clean for a few reasons. First, this ship usually operates without the saucer. This is the reason that the shield boosters are on the nacelle struts instead of on the saucer (the dark areas to the right and left of the bridge spine on a sov). The saucer is mainly used to carry cargo and troops, extra weapons, etc.

The second reason is that I wanted to have the saucer set up like a Sov saucer with about half the windows. The sov saucer is pretty clean, so this one will be as well.

Finally, on the Soyuz class you can see that the boosted sensors are on extended booms away from the ship. I tried to emulate that here. The pods are removable.

I have added phaser elements all over the ship to give it good coverage. A flat sensor grid on the saucer nose, windows in one of the rear facing areas on the bridge spine, and RCS thruster pads. I will post a pic with a Sov to compare sizes...this ship is slightly bigger than a Sov, slower and less menuverable by a bit, but much stronger in weaponry and shielding/armor.

Final pics and mesh attached.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 04-05-2005 04:32 PM Post subject:

Ok, Here is a family shot....and I see I need to work on the Centurion more as a result. This shows a Sov, the unamed battleship in the middle, and the Centurion. Just to give you an idea on sizes.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Imperial_Destroyer

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Posted: 04-05-2005 05:13 PM Post subject:

stunning, simply stunning, they look sweet, and you need to find a name for this ship soon, even if its just a class name

JamesTiberiusKirk

Captain
Captain

Zodiac: Gemini

Post Posted: 04-07-2005 02:41 PM Post subject:

one question: doesnt the saucer crashes with the stardrive section when reintegrating? it has to be an excellent manouver to stick them together

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 04-07-2005 09:11 PM Post subject:

Well, it would be the same as the Galaxy docking, both ships match speed or slow down to a crawl.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Rusty0918

Captain
Captain

Zodiac: Virgo

Post Posted: 04-20-2005 05:12 PM Post subject:

Are those phaser cannons on the nacelle pylons?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

gamesfunk

Zodiac: Leo
Location: Weapons Resarch Facility, Veldhoven, The Netherlands

Post Posted: 04-21-2005 05:12 AM Post subject:

Raven Night wrote:
Finally, on the Soyuz class you can see that the boosted sensors are on extended booms away from the ship. I tried to emulate that here. The pods are removable.

Neokaede wrote:
Though I think that sensor spikes on the nacelles would look better if they were a little longer, like that things in the Soyuz.

If you just read, you might find it. But if you don't read the quotes: no, long range sensor pallets.

Gamesfunk

hellsgate

C.O., Hell's-Gate Station - Alexandria-Class Shipyard.
Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

Post Posted: 05-10-2007 01:56 AM Post subject:

I like the design, over-all, just not the nacelle extensions which would look a bit better in positions on either side of the concave main nav deflector dish a-la the Excelsior B-Class' auxiliary deflector dishes, where they could be concealed like DS9's "pop-up" phasers during non-Red Alert conditions.

The way the nacelle extensions are ~now~, it would be the first place an enemy would concentrate their torpedoes & phaser fire & the crew of that ship would be immediately up crap creek without a paddle (unless you plan to protect the nacelles & their winglet extensions with batmobile armor.)