BCU main page Bridge Commander Universe
...welcome to the new world.

FAQFAQ  RanksRanks  RulesRules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Staff SiteStaff Site    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Work has begun on the Infinity bridge.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bridge Commander Universe Forum Index -> BC Bridge Modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Zodiac: Taurus

Post Posted: 07-19-2005 05:07 AM Post subject: Work has begun on the Infinity bridge.....

I have approved a design for the Infinity bridge. I don't know how long it will take our guys to knock it out, but needless to say they did a great job on getting it exactly the way I wanted it.

Of course, as you well know, I have to have my hand in it. I wanted to design the chairs, the consoles, etc. I started working on the captains chair...I wanted something that has a slight TOS feel to it, tell me what you think sofar.

BTW, I think I might remove the top comfort blisters and put the SFMC emblem there instead.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Bridge Commander Universe
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

ModderMan

Captain
Captain

Post Posted: 07-19-2005 05:13 AM Post subject:

chair looks good but not so comfy looking. Just wondering how many polies for the chair

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 07-19-2005 07:48 AM Post subject:

Actually, I am trying to go for an uncomfortable look. The chair is supposed to look like it would be at home in a TOS episode or as a Klingon chair. It is the chair for the Infinity, and should not be very comfortable.

It is about 419 polys at present before I optimize it.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

UPD Equinox

TERTIARY ADJUNCT Y-8
TERTIARY ADJUNCT Y-8

Zodiac: Capricorn

Post Posted: 07-19-2005 11:18 AM Post subject:

From what i know of the story line these ships are not build for comfort and design, so would it not be good to go for the 'rushed nocked up' design. Cause atm it looks like it took 2 hours to build the chair in a factory. I think the chair looks more TMP than TOS. anyway thats just me...

USS Houstoun-A

TERTIARY 1
TERTIARY 1

Post Posted: 07-19-2005 01:27 PM Post subject:

How big is the bridge? compared to one of the ones for BC.

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 07-19-2005 03:19 PM Post subject:

USS Houstoun-A wrote:
How big is the bridge? compared to one of the ones for BC.

Well, the best way to describe it would be stacking the battlebridge from the galaxy, the intrepid bridge, and the galaxy bridge on top of each other, smallest to largest. Of course, the other bridges are just for CGI. The top bridge is the War Room, where fleet command operations are managed. The middle bridge is the standard command bridge, and the lowest bridge is the operations center for the ship.

A ship as large as the Infinity needs alot of crew.

Here are my original community assisted concept sketches.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Sean

Bridge Modder
Commander
Commander

Zodiac: Pisces

Post Posted: 07-19-2005 03:36 PM Post subject:

well i have to admit the chair is looking great... although I suggest you remove all the comfort blisters and instead use good texturing to put them back... that would lower the poly count and would still look great

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Sovereign50

Sovereign
Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Zodiac: Scorpio

Post Posted: 07-19-2005 11:07 PM Post subject:

I would like to see if anyone has thought of redesining the Sovereign Bridge Im looking for the best desine ever for a new sov bridge I would love to see if anyone is up for the chalange

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Sean

Bridge Modder
Commander
Commander

Zodiac: Pisces

Post Posted: 07-19-2005 11:20 PM Post subject:

Newbie 1 Off Topic what does that have to do with ravens design for the infinity bridge? and its been discussed thousands of times... no 1 is willing to make a bridge thats already been done... theres no point!!!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

lost_jedi

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Zodiac: Cancer

Post Posted: 07-19-2005 11:23 PM Post subject:

seanabooth wrote:
well i have to admit the chair is looking great... although I suggest you remove all the comfort blisters and instead use good texturing to put them back... that would lower the poly count and would still look great

very good idea Smile

At the risk of sounding silly, is this bridge going to only be CG or will it be ingame aswell?

Sovereign50

Sovereign
Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Zodiac: Scorpio

Post Posted: 07-19-2005 11:23 PM Post subject:

There is know reason to be rood I am just trying to figure out if anyone has tried to redesign the sovereign Bridge and I am also looking forward to seeing the infinity Bridge

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

JimmyB76

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Zodiac: Leo

Post Posted: 07-19-2005 11:27 PM Post subject:

sean was correct, tho... the post was completely offtopic and had nothing to do with this thread in general... in the future, please try and keep posts ontopic...

CaptainKeyes

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Zodiac: Sagittarius

Post Posted: 07-20-2005 03:05 AM Post subject:

I also think its in bad taste to post about something in multiple threads, Sovereign50, just a heads up.

On topic now-

The Infinity Bridge design look very big, although that is to be expected. And the chair looks definitly TMP. More funding than TOS got, so more elaborate chair.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Phaser

Star Trek Canon Authority
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 07-20-2005 04:57 AM Post subject:

Wow. That is one huge bridge!

The chair looks nice, but, like the others, I think it looks a bit "TMP-esque." The armrests are definitely TOS, so stick with them, but the back of the chair is far more elaborate than anything seen in TOS. It's also a similar shade of red as the TMP uniforms. For me, that immediately triggers an association between it and TMP era.

Nebula

CA/KM/BCS:TC Mod Team Member

Zodiac: Gemini

Post Posted: 07-20-2005 05:04 AM Post subject:

I think that was the point...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 07-20-2005 07:31 AM Post subject:

Ok, I think I can get a more TOS feel, which is what I am going for...as to the color, this is the overall color of Marine Corps bridges, like the first concept sketches of the Scorpion....think Defiant bridge in red and orange hues instead of blue.

Which, it just so happens, is also very TOSesque.

Let me post what I did to change the chair, tell me what you think. I have a few color changes as well.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

UPD Equinox

TERTIARY ADJUNCT Y-8
TERTIARY ADJUNCT Y-8

Post Posted: 07-20-2005 09:49 AM Post subject:

Scince this is a mobile Battle Station would it not be a good design to have the functionality inherent in the design of the Battlestar Galactica's CIC. Although I know that you dont want to rip anything else off and you do want to have it look original I definatley think you will get a more battlestationy look if you go multilevel open plan kindof thing like the Galactica's CIC. Just a thought.

The chair is definatly looking more TOS but very good! Definatly more utilatarian rather than stylish.

Phaser

Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 07-20-2005 05:19 PM Post subject:

Nebula wrote:
Nope.
Raven Night wrote:
Ok, I think I can get a more TOS feel, which is what I am going for...
See? Grin

Anyway, its style is much more TOS now, though those red stripes remind me of the Mirror Universe (Rolling Eyes).

I like the idea USS Equinox presented. If you decide to go with that idea, just make sure the bridge maintains a distinct Star Trek feel, so it's not too BSG-like.

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 07-20-2005 05:26 PM Post subject:

Well, the design is actually very functional if you think about it...this ship is really a mobile battestation, like a mini-starbase with warp engines. Just like a starbase it needs to have an operations room to handle the day to day activities. This ship has barracks for the Marines, ground control for them and the walkers, Squadron command for the fighters and dropships, Close defense for the short range defense systems, and also the administrative control panels.

The bridge is pretty much your standard starship bridge, with a few additional controls. The operations station is much larger, so it can handle some of the functions of OPS below, and there is also a battle command station that takes care of some of the controls in the upper deck room. The bridge also has extra items exclusive to warships...weapons lockers right on the bridge, access panels galor, less plush, more function, and of course much lower lighting.

The battle bridge, or war room, is the top room in the 3, and it is used for fleet command when the ship is used to anchor a task force or fleet operation. There is a large holographic status panel in the center, as well as standing stations around the walls. This gives direct control over the fleet.

There you have it.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 07-20-2005 05:30 PM Post subject:

Phaser wrote:
Nebula wrote:
Nope.
Raven Night wrote:
See? Grin

Anyway, its style is much more TOS now, though those red stripes remind me of the Mirror Universe (Rolling Eyes).

I like the idea USS Equinox presented. If you decide to go with that idea, just make sure the bridge maintains a distinct Star Trek feel, so it's not too BSG-like.

Adding the full boxes on the side, under the arm control panels, and squaring of the chair is what did it. I can remove the added padding, but it is just preliminary at this point...I wanted some red to match the rest of the bridge, but this chair has to stand out.

The bridge itself will have some ode's to the original connie bridge, like the red alert lights...I want them to look exactly like the old ones. This denotes a feeling like this ship was designed for a different purpose.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 07-20-2005 06:31 PM Post subject:

I realize I posted the old bridge plan...here is the revised version.

The black area btw is the open floor to the ops room below...it is normally closed off by a retracting panel. The item to the rear of the deck is an open platform lift to move between the three decks.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

UPD Equinox

TERTIARY ADJUNCT Y-8
TERTIARY ADJUNCT Y-8

Post Posted: 07-21-2005 01:23 AM Post subject:

Quote:
Well, the design is actually very functional if you think about it...this ship is really a mobile battestation, like a mini-starbase with warp engines. Just like a starbase it needs to have an operations room to handle the day to day activities. This ship has barracks for the Marines, ground control for them and the walkers, Squadron command for the fighters and dropships, Close defense for the short range defense systems, and also the administrative control panels.

What you say is true. However their will be times where the bridges will need to communicate with each other. This process becomes harder if you need to use a intercom or some such. Also if you have multiple bridges, where will the General be? He will need to be in command of fleet ops, but he will also need to have control over where the ship moves like the captain. If you structure it so that the general only has control over the fleet ops then who is in control over the other bridges? Two captains? Will their orders conflict?

To have it the way you are suggesting you will have to have definite demarcations of system control between the bridges so that only one bridge has complete control over a particular subsystem, otherwise if one captain gives an order to turn the ship quickly right but the other bridge captain has pulled power from the manuvering systems to power fighter bay launch doors, integrity fields, lifesupport and other systems what happens....?. Obviously this would be a stupid action on the part of the second captain but as an example you get the point.

Terek Nor only had one captain or Commander because it it an obvious advantage to have one person controlling. In the case of the third Fleet this becomes even easier because as far as we know the General is Khan's brother! A superman. Surely if a human can do it then a superman should be able to do the job quite well!

In the end it is your desicion, my point is just have you considered everything, and to me it doesnt look like you have.

Phaser

Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 07-21-2005 04:31 AM Post subject:

Raven Night wrote:
Phaser wrote:
Nebula wrote:
Nope.
Raven Night wrote:
See? Grin

Adding the full boxes on the side, under the arm control panels, and squaring of the chair is what did it. I can remove the added padding, but it is just preliminary at this point...I wanted some red to match the rest of the bridge, but this chair has to stand out.

The bridge itself will have some ode's to the original connie bridge, like the red alert lights...I want them to look exactly like the old ones. This denotes a feeling like this ship was designed for a different purpose.

I know. I immediately recognized the traits of the Constitution Class captain's chair that you mentioned. Nice job integrating them into a new design.

USS Houstoun-A

TERTIARY 1
TERTIARY 1

Post Posted: 07-21-2005 11:30 AM Post subject:

lost_jedi wrote:
At the risk of sounding silly, is this bridge going to only be CG or will it be ingame aswell?

Sorry if its off topic but what is CG?

Darkthunder

Admiral
Admiral

Zodiac: Aquarius

Post Posted: 07-21-2005 11:01 PM Post subject:

CGI = Computer Generated Image

Thus, he's asking if the bridge will only be seen in FMV (full motion videos) or if it also will be seen/used during singleplayer or quickbattle.

USS Houstoun-A

TERTIARY 1
TERTIARY 1

Post Posted: 07-21-2005 11:55 PM Post subject:

Thanks, That clears it up! (no i'm not being sarcastic)

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 07-22-2005 10:10 AM Post subject:

USS Equinox wrote:
Quote:

What you say is true. However their will be times where the bridges will need to communicate with each other. This process becomes harder if you need to use a intercom or some such. Also if you have multiple bridges, where will the General be? He will need to be in command of fleet ops, but he will also need to have control over where the ship moves like the captain. If you structure it so that the general only has control over the fleet ops then who is in control over the other bridges? Two captains? Will their orders conflict?

To have it the way you are suggesting you will have to have definite demarcations of system control between the bridges so that only one bridge has complete control over a particular subsystem, otherwise if one captain gives an order to turn the ship quickly right but the other bridge captain has pulled power from the manuvering systems to power fighter bay launch doors, integrity fields, lifesupport and other systems what happens....?. Obviously this would be a stupid action on the part of the second captain but as an example you get the point.

Terek Nor only had one captain or Commander because it it an obvious advantage to have one person controlling. In the case of the third Fleet this becomes even easier because as far as we know the General is Khan's brother! A superman. Surely if a human can do it then a superman should be able to do the job quite well!

In the end it is your desicion, my point is just have you considered everything, and to me it doesnt look like you have.

I think you misunderstand a bit.

Operations is separate from ship control. The systems can be run from the bridge (and most of the time they are) but in large battle situations or when the ship is operating as a station, ops is fully active (IE, the ship is usually not moving when Ops is open for business). Otherwise, most of the functions in Ops are pretty rudementary and not crucial to ship health or protection. Consider Ops the bridge when the ship becomes a battlestation.

The fleet command room, or war room for short, is just that...fleet command. It is a room where the General would direct the battle of a large fleet with his respective commanders. At that time Infinity is also usually immobile, but in the rare cases where the ship is participating in the battle, Kern would have the bridge. Consider the war room a situation room in a starbase, but with a starship strapped to it.

That is the best way to describe it. An Aircraft Carrier is set up the same way...it has separate operations, bridge and fleet command rooms.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe