BCU main page Bridge Commander Universe
...welcome to the new world.

FAQFAQ  RanksRanks  RulesRules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Staff SiteStaff Site    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Foundation Tech dev Preview
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bridge Commander Universe Forum Index -> BC Scripting
View previous topic :: View next topic  

ErrorS

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 10-13-2006 06:24 AM Post subject:

Yeah, I think I found the problem.. A single quantum torp to the bridge or warp core kills the defiant, so the armor doesn't have a chance to.. 'repair'. I'd still like to find a way to keep the hull nice and pretty until the ablative is gone though. The ships seem to do OK against anything but torpedos... if it gets hit by a torpedo systems get destroyed and the hull gets damaged. Giving a defiant 2x's its hull strength in armor ends up wit the defiant being in pieces by the end of the fight.

I played around with the AI last night and it seems they miss only some of the time.. my intrepid hits very nicely, my sovereign does not (i know it's sensor strength) but my Sovereign when being run by the computer hits 90% of the time where it should, even on the smaller, faster ships like the defiant. I can't hit a galaxy class where I should half the time.. I've still not messed with sensor strength to balance, just using this ship to test it..

I love phaser's missing, it would mean I wouldn't have to give a ship like the defiant or bird of prey shields and hull of a larger ship. Fighting one, even with 1/4th the shields and one tenth the hull in a sovereign is a long, drawn out fight how it should be.. as long as I'm in the sovereign. When I put a computer defiant against a computer sovereign the defiant dies right away just from phaser fire alone.

I'm going to download some of the other scripts that fixed the problem in case it wasn't added to the package.. really having fun with this script though, thanks again

MLeo

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Zodiac: Aquarius

Post Posted: 10-14-2006 10:25 AM Post subject:

You do know that the word "Ablative" in "Ablative Armour" means that it gets worn away.

A way to simulate what you want would be to add the armour value to the damage resolution in the AddLod lines in the ship file.

Also, if the bridge is hit (pretty critical section if you ask me) wouldn't you not think that "just armour" helps a lot against it?

How to beat the Black Screen Of Death and Script problems Also handles Console/Screen/Error report/dump.
BC Technical FAQ [Last updated 26/12/2005]
"Trust me, I'm a con artist" - Moist von Lipwig, "Going Postal, Discworld"

ErrorS

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 10-17-2006 12:44 PM Post subject:

yeah, I just ended up raising the surface damage value.. still, most surface damage textures are pretty elaborate, some even taking the place of hole damage with transparencies and all.. usually by the end of a fight my defiant is compeltely covered in damaged textures.

if I had a way I'd like to be able to burn the hull (the black burn marks) without doing any actual damage for the surface damage texture until the armor gets eaten away. Any ideas for that? I think it would be a pretty awesome effect

and I figured out my main problem with the ship being destroyed before the script repaired the damage.. I had my hull value set to a lower value than the damage done by one of the torpedos.. pretty simple, stupid mistake but I thought I should admit to it.

ErrorS

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 10-20-2006 07:22 PM Post subject:

I just wanted to apologize for being an idiot newb.. I still have a lot to learn about what I'm doing.

I know you're not really working on the script anymore but it doesn't hurt to ask.

inaccurate phasers are awesome but i'd like to figure out a way to make them work differently. Most ships aren't scaled properly adn they can't be because of game limitations (like a single, strong quantum torp totally destroying a properly sized defiant because of its damage radius, the ship size, etc..when the ablative might protect it against a single torp).. so you can't really have inaccurate phasers work against the size of the ship.. my defiant is almost as big as my constitution..

but size matters the most when it comes to something like this. could you look into making inaccurate phasers work based on transversal velocity, sensor range/strength (it pretty much does this now) and the mass of the ship? nothing else.. with mass I could set a value on how big the ship is suppose to be to accurately reproduce how easily a ship is hit by phasers. Like the defiant, set the mass to 30 vs. a 300 mass for the galaxy, so the defiant is much harder to hit with phasers than the sovereign.

that is, of course, only if you're still working on it. The game's modding scene seems to be slowing down a bit.. :\ sorta sucks, I'm about a year too late.

I consider this one of the most valuable mods ever released for Bridge Commander, it's almost making the game new for me again.. to the point where im willing to invest some serious time into it (completely retextured a few ships, completely rewrote hardpoints for every ship I use, etc).. all for personal use, of course.

Defiant

Free "as in Free Speech" Engineer
Admiral
Admiral

Zodiac: Capricorn

Post Posted: 10-21-2006 07:41 AM Post subject:

MLeo, have you looked into my inaccurate phasers patches yet Smile

--
Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
-- Mark Twain

Goldstein

Cadet 4th Class
Cadet 4th Class

Post Posted: 01-30-2007 10:28 PM Post subject:

Hey,

sry for asking this question, but were is this file? If searched the whole page 8 of this thread but, I didn't found it yet.

hope you can give me a hint

Goldstein