BCU main page Bridge Commander Universe
...welcome to the new world.

FAQFAQ  RanksRanks  RulesRules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Staff SiteStaff Site    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Higher speed and BC2 budget....BC2 TEAM LOOK INSIDE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bridge Commander Universe Forum Index -> Forum Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Zodiac: Taurus

Post Posted: 03-18-2004 10:32 PM Post subject: Higher speed and BC2 budget....BC2 TEAM LOOK INSIDE

Ok guys, here is the deal. We have a limited budget, as you know. We have an opportunity to drastically increase our server speeds......what does this mean? This means we can host BC games on our server, offer much higher speeds for hosting, etc. The offer is for 1.5/1.5 SDSL. It is from a local company called DSLi. Here is the problem...

The board denied my request for funds for this upgrade. They indicated that if I wished to pay for this upgrade, I had to use budgeted BC2 funds........but those funds are set for payment of models, missions, etc.

We have a budget of 3800.00 remaining. I need to reduce that need by 1800 dollars to make this work........I have only been able to reduce the need by 850.00. I still need to reduce it for the budget by 950 dollars.

Why am I telling you guys this? Well, it is to make a request. If anyone is willing to donate SOME of thier work instead of receive compensation, this will help offset the cost. I do not expect anyone to work for free, and this is a voluntary request. I am asking for anyone that is willing to provide work they have done or intend to do for free so that I can use that value to offset the need from the budget. What this would buy you is preferred hosting....if you pay at least 135 dollars in work, it will get you unlimited space for ANY purpose, not just gaming, message board and email, plus a gaming server if you need one.

An example would be providing three models for free, or 13 systems, or 7 missions, etc.

As you know, we are a small company with limited funds. We do not try to pretend otherwise. I am coming to you to put this in your lap........if you guys contribute in this fashion, you will be credited as such.

I WILL NOT ACCEPT ANY CASH DONATIONS. Remember, we do not need the money, we have it in the budget, I just need to reduce our cost for the mod, and only enough to afford this upgrade.

If anyone is willing to help, please indicate so in this thread, and include the products you are willing to provide free of charge.

Thank you all for your help in this matter.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Bridge Commander Universe
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

starforce2

BCU Intersite Relations Director

Zodiac: Libra

Post Posted: 03-19-2004 03:17 AM Post subject:

why not accept donations? Other teams, like a big armada one, accept donations to hel with running their site.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 03-19-2004 04:06 AM Post subject:

Well, mainly because we do not need to. If people are willing to simply donate certain parts of thier work, that will offset the cost of the mod.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

JimmyB76

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Zodiac: Leo

Post Posted: 03-19-2004 04:46 AM Post subject:

if donations were accepted, i for one would gladly pitch into the cause...
perhaps if other people felt this way, then the notion of not compensating people wouldn't be a concern...
(although i couldn't possibly fathom the concept of someone pulling out because they couldn't be compensated)

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 03-19-2004 09:25 AM Post subject:

Wow, 58 views, only two replies. My guess is that this idea is not going over well.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Gtea

Commodore
Commodore

Post Posted: 03-19-2004 11:17 AM Post subject:

any ships i do will be for free, i feel uncomfortable taking payment for them anyway

----------------------------------------------
Email: Which ever B**ch used my address, I will find you.

Sim Rex

Zodiac: Capricorn

Post Posted: 03-19-2004 02:41 PM Post subject:

Raven Night wrote:
Wow, 58 views, only two replies. My guess is that this idea is not going over well.

Or it's getting lots of views from nosey non-BC2 project members like me Wink

-- The Fallen Angel - Iron Maiden(Smith/Harris)

For beginner scripters - The BCU Mission Scripting Lessons

Armondikov

Tan tan ta ra, tzing boom!

Zodiac: Cancer

Post Posted: 03-19-2004 06:44 PM Post subject:

Not everyone may require the server or web space, so it may not be worthwhile giving work away for free when it could be paid for certain people. However you can have what little I've done easily enough For instance, if you want to pay for the Infinity you can have all the smaller CGI background models (ones that you may not have thought about much such as asteroids, planets, stations, torpedoes, shuttles etc.) in with the package.

USS Phoenix

Department Head, CTU Field Operations
BCU Mod Team
BCU Mod Team

Zodiac: Capricorn

Post Posted: 03-19-2004 07:32 PM Post subject:

Gtea wrote:
any ships i do will be for free, i feel uncomfortable taking payment for them anyway

Yup, same here. Anything I do can be done for free.

GhostOfThePast

Ensign
Ensign

Post Posted: 03-20-2004 08:45 AM Post subject:

Let me get this straight, you want to take away money from the project (BC2) that is supposed to make Nightsoft a commercially viable company in order to upgrade a server for people to upload their websites which 90% of the time are either pointless or contains content that some other site already has and also to host games?

Does anyone else see the flawed logic in this? You're already providing free services to the community. If they don't like the quality or speed of the the service, they can either donate to upgrade or go somewhere else, plain and simple.

MLeo

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Zodiac: Aquarius

Post Posted: 03-20-2004 08:45 AM Post subject:

I was actually first interrested to work for this because I needed my own comp, but I have that now, so my script mods are donations now.

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 03-20-2004 10:28 AM Post subject:

GhostOfThePast wrote:
Let me get this straight, you want to take away money from the project (BC2) that is supposed to make Nightsoft a commercially viable company in order to upgrade a server for people to upload their websites which 90% of the time are either pointless or contains content that some other site already has and also to host games?

Does anyone else see the flawed logic in this? You're already providing free services to the community. If they don't like the quality or speed of the the service, they can either donate to upgrade or go somewhere else, plain and simple.

Hosting the Multiplayer Infinity mod is one of our top priorities. Seems like I hit a raw nerve with this one...........

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Post Posted: 03-20-2004 06:18 PM Post subject:

You can discount my part of the borg ships.. they're simply to do anyway.

That means:
the capsule, II cruiser, nano probe and H fighter for free.
Plus the other 2 i want to add by my own: Carrier and arrow.

Cpt.

Hmm.. also that sounds like the dvoridex CGI i'm workig ATM will be trashed out. Sad

Executioner_de

Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Posted: 03-20-2004 07:21 PM Post subject:

raven didnt you told me that you cant get the moddels for free? you told me you cant use them in the mod when you dont *buy* the moddels Confused

EXE

Before modelling, learn.

"the optimal mesh is one that describes whatever you want using as few polygons as possible."

You want to be a part of the active comunity and want to make youre own moddels? Then you should start making tutorials!

"Help a Newbie, Criticism for modellers movement"

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

BookBomB

BC2 Spam God
General
General

Post Posted: 03-20-2004 08:03 PM Post subject:

Anything I can do is for free. (Which isn't much by the way.)

And if they're gifts, I would assume it's ok.

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 03-20-2004 09:09 PM Post subject:

I would buy them, just not for much.......say 1 dollar, or 5 dollars, something like that.

And I dont need that many LC. Only a few will do. Two or three at most. CGI's cannot be discounted........they are too difficult to make and too important to the mod, so they must be paid at full value. The game models, missions, systems etc. could go for a pennance because most people mod for free anyway...........so I assumed people would pick a few designs, missions or systems that were easy for them and offer them under this.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Post Posted: 03-20-2004 10:25 PM Post subject:

Raven Night wrote:
I would buy them, just not for much.......say 1 dollar, or 5 dollars, something like that.

And I dont need that many LC. Only a few will do. Two or three at most. CGI's cannot be discounted........they are too difficult to make and too important to the mod, so they must be paid at full value. The game models, missions, systems etc. could go for a pennance because most people mod for free anyway...........so I assumed people would pick a few designs, missions or systems that were easy for them and offer them under this.

It's not many Raven.. borg ships are easy to do.. and won't take much work.. so all that doesn't mean the work i would have with a ship like the dderidex refit or i had with the ingame dvoridex.. so that won't be a trouble.

Oh.. and I feel happy that you'll still want the CGI.. it's making me nuts.. but looks very good so far. I'll post pics of it soon.

Cpt.

Ames

Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: 03-21-2004 07:07 AM Post subject:

Well when I finish up my Cloaked Firing mod I was the one in complete objection to being paid for it so I've got no problem there. You can also use the Gemini Effect and Incursion Technology if you want. Oh and blind fire.

"All I ask for is a tall ship and a star to steer her by," John Masefield.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

Armondikov

Post Posted: 03-21-2004 06:48 PM Post subject:

Raven Night wrote:

CGI's cannot be discounted........they are too difficult to make and too important to the mod, so they must be paid at full value.

Smile Smile Smile Gibson Les Paul, here I come!! Mr. Green Mr. Green

Pegasus

Resident Irishman
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 03-21-2004 09:13 PM Post subject:

How about more advertising on the site. granted it would be a minor inconvenience, you would still make a decent ammount of money if you implimented it on ALL of your sites, forums and messageboards.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 03-22-2004 11:33 PM Post subject:

Unfortunately, advertising is not an option. Oh, and Pegasus, do me a favor and change the pussies word on your sig please to something more acceptable.

Ok, here is what I would like. All of the people that have done models sofar BESIDES CGI work, please post the specific models you would wish to take a reduced payout for. I would simply deduct 40 dollars for a mesh and textures, 25 for a mesh alone. I need specific names of concepts so I can provide that to the board.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

M@DM@X

Commander
Commander

Post Posted: 03-23-2004 09:00 PM Post subject:

hey raven if you need any ships done for free(granted im not as good as exe and lc)ill do them it gives me a chance to learn more

Post Posted: 03-23-2004 10:15 PM Post subject:

Raven:

Here's my list of discounts:
1 - borg nano probe cruiser
2 - borg h fighter
3 - borg II cruiser
4 - borg capsule
5 - borg arrow
6 - borg carrier

All of them still at WIP status.

Sorry but due to personnal issues i cannot make the discounts on the ships already done.

Cpt.

Armondikov

Post Posted: 03-24-2004 06:52 PM Post subject:

You said Borg ones since their easilly done. Fair enough there. All the in game meshes I've done (Power and Judgement, Matador, possibly Infinity and Armstrong eventually) you can have and you can just compensate the texturer for the legal minimum.

Pegasus

Resident Irishman
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post Posted: 03-24-2004 07:54 PM Post subject:

Ok, changed Raven.
Oh, and May i enquire why Advertising on the sites would be out of the question. it is an excellent money maker as you know.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 03-25-2004 03:32 PM Post subject:

Ok, guys, dont give away the house now. I will take what you are giving for a pennance, but you do not have to give up that much......two or three models would be fine. If you truly do not mind pennies for the items you mentioned, then so be it. But be aware that I was not asking for that much charity. Thank you for being so generous.

Advertising on site is forbidden in our charter. We can promote demo products, but we cannot accept revenue from any advertisements.

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Post Posted: 03-25-2004 03:51 PM Post subject:

It's not charity.. i picked up the simple designs, which in fact i wasn't feeling well to be full paid for.

Understand that after the current borg ships have been done, the other are just a matter of unwrapping and painting using the same settings.. i probably could do all them in a day.

Now about the already done stuff.... any news?

Cpt.

Armondikov

Post Posted: 03-25-2004 09:47 PM Post subject:

Considering that NanoFX and the other programmed parts of this were something stupid like a grand, how is this budget able to support everything?

Raven Night

CEO - Nightsoft
Owner - Webmaster
Owner - Webmaster

Post Posted: 03-25-2004 09:51 PM Post subject:

It is a quarterly budget..........

..........Me.

Raven Night
CEO - NightSoft
Starfleet Universe
Elite Force Universe

Armondikov

Post Posted: 03-27-2004 12:27 AM Post subject:

Ah... And you seem to treat it like monopoly money. Damn I wish I could blow three grand on something as fundamentally pointless as BCII.